Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2021 Cross Sport V6 AWD 2 weeks ago.
My previous car was a Lincoln MKZ.

My question is: what's the range to use remote start?

I could be all the way in my office building and start my MKZ but have to be within 20 feet to start my Atlas.
I feel like it should be a longer range.

Not a happy camper if I can't warm up my car while at work. Defeats the purpose if I have to walk almost to my car to start it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
use the car net app. The remote range is bad. I just bought an atlas and the app works great.

I could be all the way in my office building and start my MKZ but have to be within 20 feet to start my Atlas.

Not a happy camper if I can't warm up my car while at work. Defeats the purpose if I have to walk almost to my car to start it.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I tried the Car net app too and that didn't work either. I will need to figure it out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1. Range is poor. Maybe 50ft max.

2. I don't have Carnet, but I don't think that was the issue that caused your failure. The response saying "remote start not possible" indicates that the request was received but the vehicle didn't meet the necessary conditions to remote start. I don't remember what all the requirements are but I know that fuel level matters and the time since the vehicle was last running matters. If fuel is low or if the vehicle hasn't been off long enough (I want to say 15 or 30min), the vehicle will not remote start. I think there are a couple of other requirements including minimum battery level and the check engine light can't be on.

I would try car net again after letting the car sit for an hour or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also use the car app to start my car due to the range being bad on the fob. I will say that there is only a 90% success rate on the car net app working. Don't know why sometimes it doesnt work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

2. I don't have Carnet, but I don't think that was the issue that caused your failure. The response saying "remote start not possible" indicates that the request was received but the vehicle didn't meet the necessary conditions to remote start. I don't remember what all the requirements are but I know that fuel level matters and the time since the vehicle was last running matters. If fuel is low or if the vehicle hasn't been off long enough (I want to say 15 or 30min), the vehicle will not remote start. I think there are a couple of other requirements including minimum battery level and the check engine light can't be on.

Hmm. Had been sitting 8 hours. 1/2 tank of gas. Brand new 2021 so battery is new.

I did some googling and apparently the Car Net remote start doesn't work a lot of the time. Lots of people with same issue.
Someone had to have a new fuel float replaced on a new vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carnet uses cellular data which could explain spotty coverage at times. However the range thru the app will be much further then the key fob. 25-50' line of sight seems to be the best I can get with the key fob on a 2020 Cross Sport.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2020 ATLAS Cross Sport SEL tech and Carnet has never let me down. Mine is parked in 2 different parking garages. My condo is one floor up and I want to say 300 to 400 yards starts everytime. Work depends one when I get there but at least eighth to quarter of a mile. Started everytime as well even with a quarter of a tank of gas. Now the remote start on the key fob leaves something to desire. As it is hit or miss whither it works or not..

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have the Cross Sport SE with Technology and have remote start on the fob. I was told that I can't use the Car-net app's remote start feature bc the fob remote start engineering is different than the app remote start. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2020 ATLAS Cross Sport SEL tech and Carnet has never let me down. Mine is parked in 2 different parking garages. My condo is one floor up and I want to say 300 to 400 yards starts everytime. Work depends one when I get there but at least eighth to quarter of a mile. Started everytime as well even with a quarter of a tank of gas. Now the remote start on the key fob leaves something to desire. As it is hit or miss whither it works or not..

You have the key fob remote start and you can use the Car-net app remote start feature?! I was told this isn't possible... Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right because now I'm mad that mine doesn't work and never has!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have both and use them both. Never had an issue, other than the fob you have to be within 50 to 75 feet. With Car-Net i have to enter my pin twice once I select remote start. Neither has yet to let me down and they never told me I couldn't use both.. I am in South Texas and it is nice to have a cool car when you get in on hot days..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow that's really interesting. I wonder if it's because I have the SE and not the SEL. Did you add the key fob remote start later or did it come from the manufacturer with the remote start fob?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was factory installed. I wouldn't think the the trim levels would differ that much!
Yeah, I wouldn't either. I'm going to call Car-net tomorrow for more info. I've had some issues with my car already so this might just add to my claim that it's a lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the issue with carnet and I think the dealer told me that it is a 3rd party app and doesn’t always work. I got the same message a couple times but it works fine now. I only use it from the house to the driveway when I park outside so I’m about 50’ away when using the app

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Cross Sport SE with Technology and have remote start on the fob. I was told that I can't use the Car-net app's remote start feature bc the fob remote start engineering is different than the app remote start. Does anyone else have this issue?
This sounds like a dealer that does not now the product. I can be on the 8 th floor of my apt and a block away and it works. Something is not right with the car. Go to a reputable dealer or call corporate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This sounds like a dealer that does not now the product. I can be on the 8 th floor of my apt and a block away and it works. Something is not right with the car. Go to a reputable dealer or call corporate.
Thank you - you are right, something isn't right with the car and I agree about the quality control. I already have a claim started for VW to buy it back, so I'll be adding this issue to the claim!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry that you are having so many issues with you Atlas! I have had mine since July and have had to have the oxygen sensor replaced at 1200 miles, but that has been the extent of problems.. What OS are you using on your phone? I have a Samsung running Android version 11 on Xfinity network.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts