Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '20 VR6 and after pumping in premium fuel for no good reason I have found the engine to be much more responsive and down right snappy when accelerating through traffic and off the line. I think i'll stick to premium -- it really does feel more lively.

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
I have a '20 VR6 and after pumping in premium fuel for no good reason I have found the engine to be much more responsive and down right snappy when accelerating through traffic and off the line. I think i'll stick to premium -- it really does feel more lively.
My data above from logging suggests it shouldn't be much different unless you are at WOT/high RPM - it's a huge cost to pay for what could be just placebo. I went back/forth a number of times and honeslty felt zero difference beyond what I can see in the logs w/r to timing pull.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with @KarstGeo, but will explain further.

If you drive aggressively—perhaps you live in Sport mode—you will absolutely notice a difference between premium and regular octane fuel. The quoted metrics VW gives for horsepower and torque were measured using Premium fuel. Regular octane fuel requires the ECU to tune the ignition differently to prevent knock and ping, ergo, less power. What that means is that your personal, subjective experience is what will matter for this decision. If you never drive it aggressively, nor depend on the availability of instant power with a bit more kick (which tbh only really works if you drive in Sport mode anyway), then there is absolutely no reason to use premium whatsoever.

TL;DR — If you are an aggressive driver, or you are towing, you will find more power in premium fuel.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts