Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a weight distribution sway control hitch is not recommended on the Atlas. I have 2019 SE Atlas with the factory hitch and my camper is 3700 lbs. Has anyone installed the Reese Friction Sway Control and if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I plan to purchase a similar weight trailer and will add a friction bar for sure. In the past, I towed a poorly weighted tent trailer that had two water tanks behind the rear axle. The times we had to carry the trailer full of water, it swayed like crazy. The friction bar was a game changer. If you have your trailer properly loaded, you may not need it, but since the amount of friction is completely adjustable, it seems like inexpensive insurance at a minimum. I’m sure there are others with more experience who can provide additional input.

What kind of trailer are you towing, and how has the Atlas performed so far?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Husky anti-sway which is almost identical and it works great, Trailer is straight as an arrow towing. The key is getting the amount of friction setup just right where it doesn't sound like your hitch is going to rip off when you make a turn. I would also recommend removing it when not driving on the highway, I usually pull over when close to the highway and install it. That way I can leave it fairly tight during travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts