Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please, need advise on which air bag or air lifter I should get, I see the Firestone and also the Air Lift. Any real experience? I have seen mixed posts of which one works for the Atlas. It will make a difference? I have the factory installed hitch and towing an APEX Nano 194, gross weight with hitch and cargo around 4,300 pounds and I see the bottom axle of the Atlas lower than the front axel as expected, not a big deal but I guess with air bags on the suspension will improve. Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2018 VW SEL 3.6L V6 W4motion. my wife, daughter and 2 dogs do a lot of driving. I'm currently at 70k miles. Wife is a travel nurse so there's that. But we purchased a 2020 keystone passport sl 199ml. The exact weight of our camper is 4,300lbs. We purchased it at camping world and they looked up all the specs and requirements for my SUV to make sure I was safe. They won't let people leave if they aren't going to be within the right specs. As with the WDH and sway control system I did not know about that at the time of purchase. But I can say I don't care. It's designed to control the sway of trailer when approached by winds, semis other drastic stuff that make towing very unsafe. It does make quite a bit of noise but that is normal with sway control systems. That's them working. I have pulled our camper through mountains in Arkansas and the tiny hills in missouri. I completely agree with Redneckson on the whole RPM and speed thing. Utilize sport mode as it allows the engine to hold onto gears longer. It allows prevents the engine from changing into lower gears prematurely when towing so you're not maxed out on your rpms drinking your gas. You already will be going through gas a lot. The 18 gal gas tank is definitely not good for towing. Roughly 180 miles per tank is what I get when towing my camper. Cruise control can help as well but only if you're on relatively flat roads. Tiny hills will cause it to downshift and max out the rpms. When we know we are going to be towing, we pack light. Buy food at our destinations etc. Do not load up the SUV and tow. It will squat badly and squat induces sway. Vw producing a vehicle that cannot use a WDH sway control system but yet tow 5,000 lbs is asking for a disaster. Next vehicle will be able to actually tow properly and SAFELY. Till then, this will work. I have not had any issues it while towing. The only issues I've ever had with this suv were a CAT replace at 20k miles and now there is a recall for the cat system to prevent it from going bad again. So I'll be jumping on that as soon as we get back home.

I cannot and will not tell anyone to use a WDH sway control system if VW says not to. I'm not a lawyer and I don't give out legal advice. But i can tell you i have a high mileage vehicle, we tow a 4300 lb camper, and I pass my 10k mile inspections and I have never had an issue towing and I use a WDH sway control system with a brake controller that camping world installed for me. I purchased the 7 way pin connector and installed it myself. Don't pay the dealership to do it for you. Its 4 screws, unscrew them, take the plate off and plug in the 7 way pin connector. Done. Videos on youtube. There is a specific video on youtube where a guy walks you through it very easy to understand and he even gives you the website that he bought his 7 way pin connector off of for like 12 dollars vs the 57 dollars at the dealership. I went the dealership route and paid 63 for my 7 way pin connector to be exact. Then I came across his video afterwards.

Do what you feel is safest for you, your vehicle, and your family.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please, need advise on which air bag or air lifter I should get, I see the Firestone and also the Air Lift. Any real experience? I have seen mixed posts of which one works for the Atlas. It will make a difference? I have the factory installed hitch and towing an APEX Nano 194, gross weight with hitch and cargo around 4,300 pounds and I see the bottom axle of the Atlas lower than the front axel as expected, not a big deal but I guess with air bags on the suspension will improve. Thanks and regards.
For what it's worth, I had a poor experience installing the Firestone bags and would try Air Lift next time. I know several on this forum have gotten the Firestone installed, but after hours of trying and then taking it to a shop, they had to drop the springs and install from the top. I tried every recommendation I could find on this forum and YouTube, but for my particular vehicle, they just weren't going in the through the coils. After getting them installed at a shop, I now have one bag that is leaking around the brass/plastic interface on the valve end of the bag. Firestone has said they'll send a replacement, but it's been extremely slow in coming and difficult to get updates. I know others have had better success.

Perhaps you've addressed it on a different thread somewhere, but I'd love to hear more about your experience towing you APEX Nano. It's almost exactly the same specs as a trailer I'm looking at, and I'd love to get your perspective. I'm driving a 2018 FWD SEL with factory tow package. Are you finding your Atlas sufficient to tow your APEX? And are you AWD or FWD? Thanks for any inputs you can provide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No problem with install(2 hrs) by my friend mobile mechanic for the Firestone airbag(passat wagon/jetta/rougue model?). Only dislike so far is the occasional squeak when unladen. Still have not used for towing yet so no feed back on that one yet. I think I have 6 psi but will up to 15-20 when towing - range is 5-35psi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Towed a 2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ TT, curb weight of 3234 lbs from PA to NJ via MD & DE for about 100 miles. No WD, but with anti-sway bar(Reese). No issues with rolling hills of PA & MD. No problem with sway while on a downpour on I 95. Had auto setting on sport - no problem with power or braking. Mileage going to dealer was ~ 25mi/gal while towing was down to 18.5 definitely using more gas on open highway most likely due to aero drag and high(er) speed. Using a Draw-Tite Ball Mount with - 3/4" Rise and a Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller. Curt has issue powering the furrion rear camera and dealer had to use another connector from eTrailer that they use for GM trucks.
How do you like the reese sway bar?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts