Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let me ask you something @Bill B. Even though 4motion has same towing capacity, do you think is there any advantage to go from FWD to a 4motion? Am I wasting my time and money trying to replace the one I have? I’m thinking now that the amount of weight we can tow is not worth the hustle.
Thoughts?
[/Q
Let me ask you something @Bill B. Even though 4motion has same towing capacity, do you think is there any advantage to go from FWD to a 4motion? Am I wasting my time and money trying to replace the one I have? I’m thinking now that the amount of weight we can tow is not worth the hustle.
Thoughts?
I think it really comes down to personal preference -- definitely no right or wrong answer, but rather what's important to you. I live in SoCal, so when I bought my Atlas, I figured I'd go FWD since I'd seldom use the 4motion. In hindsight, I wish now that I had the 4motion for those few times it would come in handy, either to go to the snow or pull a TT on less developed dirt roads, etc. So whether a 4motion upgrade is worth it for you really comes down to how you want to use it. I don't know how much benefit you'll see with respect to towing. Hopefully I can add some insight there soon.

BTW, I wouldn't give up on either the 4motion or the FWD towing what you want. There are plenty of trailers in a reasonable weight range and lots of Atlas owners in these forums that are very positive on their towing experience. I will be towing in some pretty hilly terrain, hope to do some longer trips, and tend to be somewhat conservative. Whatever you decide on the vehicle, don't give up on the TT!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm back... Yup! I can see it's been more than four months now since I started picking brains looking for good advice and guidance. Sadly I have not done anything yet, no TT, no mods, nothing... It's been a crazy time and I've been enjoying my "mandatory" family time. I have decided to replace my SEL FWD for a SEL 4motion and captain chairs. 4motion just to have peace in mind and we realized is more comfortable for my wife to have the setup as captains since she's in the back with the kids all the time.
@Bill B are you towing your TT already? If so, tell me about your experience so far. What have you done to your suspension and what accessories are you using to make the trips more comfortable while towing. How about you @Cdub anything new? have you tried new products or configurations? let me know guys. As I said before now I am actively looking for that Sel 4motion and ideally I'll get it before the end of the year. Will see... Also I went back to research about TT because we know for sure that's what we want to do. So, If you have any advice about TT brand and size I'll appreciate it. Stay safe and happy holidays.
@Vic good to hear from you! I installed the rear air coil helpers (https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Volkswagen/Atlas/2019/F4175.html?VehicleID=201986139) to prepare for a TT, but still no TT lol. At this point I am 95% sure we are going with a winnebago micro minnie 1800BH. That model checks most of my boxes (double axle, gvwr 5,000 lbs, tongue weight of 382, bunk beds, has rear bike door with folding bunk for bike storage in camper). It's not the cheapest and there are a couple of lighter options, but they are single axle and from my experience you'll get a better ride with double axle, plus you have more tires on the ground if you were to have one blow out. Dealer I am working with has had one on order since September and it supposed to be coming in hopefully by February so we might have one by then. With the tongue weight limits of the Atlas and not being able to use WDH (per manufacturer) it really limits what you are able to pull and as much as I like the Atlas I would have definitely considered another vehicle for towing TT had a known before purchasing (thought I had done all the research, but you live and you learn). As you said we considered the Durango because it can tow up to 8,000 lbs I think with hemi option, but I wasn't sold on price and space. Jeep just announced a new 3 row Grand Cherokee L that looks better than most jeeps I have seen lately, but I think it maxes out at 6,000 something lbs and being a jeep I can't imagine the price they will be asking. Expedition with tow package can two up to like 9,000 lbs I think, but they are priced pretty high too. As far as getting a 4 motion, I have read a little more into this and seen some comments on here that make me think it would be a benefit for towing especially since TT is going to take weight off your front wheels. I don't know if it is great enough benefit to worry about trading in for, but I think that just depends on what you want. The coil springs weren't too bad installing. Not the easiest, but if you have a jack you can do it yourself. I have not had a chance to try it with a trailer, but based on reviews from others on this site I think they will help. Keep us updated on what you end up deciding. I'll let you know if we get the TT anytime soon. I have curt echo wireless brake controller which I have tested with a trailer and I was satisfied with how that worked so I am set there. Only other thing I have been researching is sway control since I won't be using WDH. Haven't decided yet whether I want to use a friction bar set up (curt or reese) or if I want to try an electronic sway control that applies trailer brakes to control sway (Sway Master | Trailer Sway Control Hitch | Hayes Towing Electronics). I am leaning towards the electronic as the friction bar you have to worry about disconnecting when you go to back in or turn really sharp and I'm just not sure I want to deal with having to remember that in the process of driving. If you find any great products in your research please share. I have been really impressed with this forum, a lot of great helpful people sharing good information.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas ESL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey guys, I hope you all are doing and feeling great. I have an update on my towing situation.
You know I've been researching a lot and looking for the best and safest way to take my Atlas to the limit. I went to the RV show in Tampa last month and after seeing lots of different models, we narrowed it to the following 3: 1 Ibex, 1 Flagstaff and 1 Rockwood. These last two being practically the same but "different brand". Unfortunately their empty weights are not less than 5500 pounds. That led me to go back and review again a different SUV and I stumbled upon a Toyota Sequioa. Guys! don't take me wrong, you know I really love my Atlas but that Toyota (my humble opinion) is a different story.

Long story short, after looking Nationwide for an specific one, I'm getting a 4WD Toyota Sequoia limited delivered tomorrow (I'm sorry if talking about different brands is against this forum's rules). If I had the opportunity to keep both cars, I'd do it. But is not the case. So, for now this will be my last post (hopefully not for too long) about VW Atlas and I want to thank you guys for your support, guidance and help in general. Good luck in your towings, enjoy them and stay safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Vic that's certainly the most failsafe way to make sure you're good! Congrats on your decision and best of luck with the new direction. I'm picking up my R-Pod 193 in the morning, and although we'll only do local trips initially, should start to build some FWD towing experience soon. Again, good luck!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts