Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 S Trim model 4 motion. I thought that the rear climate control "Rear Off" button it meant just that, if you turn the button on that it prevents people sitting in the second row from adjusting the rear climate control. WRONG, apparently when you turn on the button it temporarily disables it until a person (kid) in the back seat turns on the back controls and then the button lets you push it again and the battle begins with the kid in the back! The only way to turn it off is to shut off the front fans so no one has any climate control.

Is this right? Extremely annoying that you cannot control back temperature control in this trim, I am surprised it doesn't just mimic the front settings when you push the button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There should be a lock button in the front. So turn it off and hit lock. That should prevent anyone in the back from using the rear controls.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
^^^This. Also, you bought the base trim so while I get wishing it had more, that is part of why folks move up in the trim levels for more, even if minor, creature comforts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be a lock button in the front. So turn it off and hit lock. That should prevent anyone in the back from using the rear controls.
Just noticed I titled this "real" instead of "rear" climate control. There is no lock button, I think that is only on the higher trim levels. I understand wishing for greater creature comforts but the whole "rear off" button is pointless, as turning them "on" doesn't even turn on the rear vents unless a person is sitting back there to adjust them manually. This is a terrible design as kids cannot turn on vents themselves. It should simply mimic the front fan/air settings when you turn the rear "on". I have never seen a vehicle with such a bad flaw like this. All other vehicles (and I have driven a lot) default to same front settings. I will deal with the inability to not turn them off officially but they should at least default to matching front climate control when turned on. I saw another thread on SEL models not holding the previous control setting as well, looks like a miss here on VW part.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Just noticed I titled this "real" instead of "rear" climate control. There is no lock button, I think that is only on the higher trim levels. I understand wishing for greater creature comforts but the whole "rear off" button is pointless, as turning them "on" doesn't even turn on the rear vents unless a person is sitting back there to adjust them manually. This is a terrible design as kids cannot turn on vents themselves. It should simply mimic the front fan/air settings when you turn the rear "on". I have never seen a vehicle with such a bad flaw like this. All other vehicles (and I have driven a lot) default to same front settings. I will deal with the inability to not turn them off officially but they should at least default to matching front climate control when turned on. I saw another thread on SEL models not holding the previous control setting as well, looks like a miss here on VW part.
My SEL holds all the settings without issue so not sure what that was about. Again, I get that the base model has a v. manual system that the person in the second row operates. I've had other vehicles with that type of setup i.e. manual control of rear system (Ford Explorer). I put this into the "first world problems" bucket...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts