Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
VW ATLAS SEL PREMIUM AWD 2019
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone attempted a DIY Home radiator swap? I'm asking because I clearly have to change the radiator, and I am not willing to pay the dealership a outrageous $1650 + tax. Took it in when the coolant light came up, realized there was leak from the grill (tiny crack on one of the veins), when I was told it would not be covered do to "Outside influences" aka claiming a rock hit it. Now they are negating to cover this part which cost $288 online from the dealer parts, but are charging me 9.5 hrs of labor plus the part. Anyhow enough of my rant (sorry) anyone know how to replace the radiator? I've looked online everywhere an no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
In your circle is the evidence that a rock hit it, the tube has a hole in it clearly from an impact, not the type of pin hole you might see from a manufacturing defect.

Physically changing the radiator should be pretty straight forward. Where you might have some issue is bleeding the system. Sometimes entering a service mode is needed to cycle the diverter valves in the system. I don't know for sure the Atlas would need that, but it is becoming increasingly more common on modern vehicles. Without the proper service tool (computer), you may not be able to get all the air out. Worst case scenario you could have the flush/bleed done at the dealer after you change the radiator.

·
Registered
VW ATLAS SEL PREMIUM AWD 2019
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In your circle is the evidence that a rock hit it, the tube has a hole in it clearly from an impact, not the type of pin hole you might see from a manufacturing defect.

Physically changing the radiator should be pretty straight forward. Where you might have some issue is bleeding the system. Sometimes entering a service mode is needed to cycle the diverter valves in the system. I don't know for sure the Atlas would need that, but it is becoming increasingly more common on modern vehicles. Without the proper service tool (computer), you may not be able to get all the air out. Worst case scenario you could have the flush/bleed done at the dealer after you change the radiator.
Yeah that’s great and all but doesn’t answer my question, looking for a DIY on how to change it without messing anything up or that may void future warranty. Anyone can say it’s easy, I’m looking to see if anyone has done a video or step by step.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts