Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Atlas 2.0 SE w/Tech. I've never had an issue opening the lift gate via the remote, works every time. Sometimes, however, using the remote to close the lift gate does not work. Anyone else experience this? User error maybe? Light just blink and the gate stays open. Would be nice to walk away and use remote.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Alone those same lines. Owned my Atlas done July 2019. I've gotten the lift gate to open twice with waving my foot under the hitch. IMO, worthless feature or I'm just stupid. 🤭

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, you’re not doing anything wrong. This is a “safety feature”, or so they’ve told me at VW. I don’t know who they thought would be buying the atlas, but I bet a fair number of people have owned mini vans prior( as I did ) and expect to be able to open AND close the rear hatch without having to stand 5 feet close to it. You can open the hatch via the key fob from father away; apparently that is not a safety issue. VW was “afraid” someone might be harmed by the closing of the hatch without a person next to the car. Silly because the hatch can beep to alert someone to get out of the way, same as upon opening. I have also found that the driver can open the hatch using the button inside the driver door, say when dropping someone off at the airport who needs to grab their bag from the back. That same button, nor the key fob, DO NOT allow the driver to close the hatch while inside the vehicle. If your passenger forgets to close the hatch, you’ll be required to exit the driver seat to point the fob at the hatch. Which is far more unsafe than a hatch button that both opens and closes. Super fun for the driver if it’s raining.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get in the car and close my hatch with the door button all the time!! I have never seen an issue with the door button while in or standing next to the car. The fob is where the problem lies. Kick hatch feature is another problem as well

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, you’re not doing anything wrong. This is a “safety feature”, or so they’ve told me at VW. I don’t know who they thought would be buying the atlas, but I bet a fair number of people have owned mini vans prior( as I did ) and expect to be able to open AND close the rear hatch without having to stand 5 feet close to it. You can open the hatch via the key fob from father away; apparently that is not a safety issue. VW was “afraid” someone might be harmed by the closing of the hatch without a person next to the car. Silly because the hatch can beep to alert someone to get out of the way, same as upon opening. I have also found that the driver can open the hatch using the button inside the driver door, say when dropping someone off at the airport who needs to grab their bag from the back. That same button, nor the key fob, DO NOT allow the driver to close the hatch while inside the vehicle. If your passenger forgets to close the hatch, you’ll be required to exit the driver seat to point the fob at the hatch. Which is far more unsafe than a hatch button that both opens and closes. Super fun for the driver if it’s raining.
The door button DOES close the hatch. You have to HOLD it though. It's not a one touch function like opening or any other vehicle. Annoying but not unbearable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Alone those same lines. Owned my Atlas done July 2019. I've gotten the lift gate to open twice with waving my foot under the hitch. IMO, worthless feature or I'm just stupid. 🤭
It works almost every time for me....once I read the manual. You have to kick under the bumper to the left of the hitch (or about 6-12" left of center). Then step back. It has a sensor and if you are too close it won't work. You must step back after kicking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess Tech doesnt mean all TECH...dumb. This car in general has too many option types...Anyone else this so too. I like Acura for the 3 models only....no other options ...keep it simple. With engines, awd, seats, wheels, techs, leathers, they just made it soooooooo hard to find the exact car and color you want

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
The folks having issues are most likely not using the right technique. Works 100% for me. Approach rear of vehicle. Key in pocket. Kick your foot under center/hitch, all the way under and pull it out, step back to ensue the sensor knows your foot has cleared it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts