Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two things that bug me about the Atlas. The first one is the stop/start, which I hope to resolve. The second is the phony exhaust pieces on the back bumper.
Has anyone cut and extended their exhaust pipes through the back end? If you have pictures, please post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sure you could cut that interior trim piece out but I would fear something melting over an extended period without putting some heat shield.I looked around online to see if I could find any and some of the pictures I found of "fake exhausts" with pipes looks horrible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wish they made it do something functional, such as a backup light or an extra stop light. I think it cheapens the model.

·
Registered
162 Posts
1. I believe there are two ways to eliminate the auto start/stop. Either via programming with vcds, vagcom or OBDeleven. Or disconnecting a physical wire to the battery.

2. I hate the phoney tips too. I'd be concerned about running hot exhaust through the plastic tips though. My thought was to find a real metal exhaust that is a similar shape/size and use that in place of the plastic. Some Audi Q5 and Q7 models use a similar looking tip. I wonder if you could cut out the VW plastic tips, extend the exhaust up to the bumper and weld the Audi tips on....

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. I believe there are two ways to eliminate the auto start/stop. Either via programming with vcds, vagcom or OBDeleven. Or disconnecting a physical wire to the battery.

2. I hate the phoney tips too. I'd be concerned about running hot exhaust through the plastic tips though. My thought was to find a real metal exhaust that is a similar shape/size and use that in place of the plastic. Some Audi Q5 and Q7 models use a similar looking tip. I wonder if you could cut out the VW plastic tips, extend the exhaust up to the bumper and weld the Audi tips on....
Good call I'm gonna check the battery later today to see if there is such as wire and try to disable it see what happens.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
33 Posts
I did a lot of research prior to my purchase of the Atlas, and was well aware the rear exhaust openings were non functional. Many reviews discussed this feature. For me, this is a non issue. As scott46travel mentions, I too like the looks of them and no exhaust ports to clean. IMO, I see it in the same light as these popular sellers with non functional side intakes, port holes, hood intakes, and side louvers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a lot of research prior to my purchase of the Atlas, and was well aware the rear exhaust openings were non functional. Many reviews discussed this feature. For me, this is a non issue. As scott46travel mentions, I too like the looks of them and no exhaust ports to clean. IMO, I see it in the same light as these popular sellers with non functional side intakes, port holes, hood intakes, and side louvers.

View attachment 1192
I like that the exhaust doesn't go through those chrome tips. Never have to clean them. Why the worry? The exhaust works and no else notices.
I'm with scott46 and A4MOS on this one. Zero soot to clean off. My last car had dual exhaust that did run through the actual tips- impossible to keep clean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with wrench69, A4MOS19 and scott46travel, I like the fake exhaust ports. Car manufactures have been doing them for years. Along with fake hood scoops and side exhausts. Even sports cars with their vents. I had a Toyota 4runner sport not many years ago with a fake hood scoop.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

View attachment 1192
It's funny that you show a 1968 Camaro. I had one in college and replaced the hood because I hated the pretend eight pack on the hood.

·
Registered
68 Posts
another point to consider is if you ever carry hitch cargo carrier with a cargo bag, having hot exhaust gas exit straight thru the back will melt the cargo bag and potentially cause fire. there is actually a heat shield sold to prevent this and its a problem for many cars that have a straight out the back exhaust. i agree with others regarding never needing to clean the exhaust on the atlas and its a smart design "feature" that gives you best of both worlds. wish more cars have this design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts