Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the group feels about the caliper covers? I have painted calipers before but never used the covers. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wondering what the group feels about the caliper covers? I have painted calipers before but never used the covers. Any recommendations?
Not a fan I would rather just paint them then have to worry about it eventually melting and/or braking from its bracket while I'm driving. I'm planning on painting mine in a few months waiting for temperature to be consistently warm still here in VA.

MPG makes them but the prices are insane, $240 for some plastic covers.

Link to Website - Here

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a fan I would rather just paint them then have to worry about it eventually melting and/or braking from its bracket while I'm driving. I'm planning on painting mine in a few months waiting for temperature to be consistently warm still here in VA.

MPG makes them but the prices are insane, $240 for some plastic covers.

Link to Website - Here
Thanks for your reply. $240 buys a lot of paint! I will probably paint mine too. I think the paint will look better too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for your reply. $240 buys a lot of paint! I will probably paint mine too. I think the paint will look better too.
I'm a big fan of this POR-15 and its priced reasonably too , I painted my Accord calipers and they held amazing no rust or cracking of the paint

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking of those as well. Ice always painted mine too. If you decide to do it, post some pics pls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a big fan of this POR-15 and its priced reasonably too , I painted my Accord calipers and they held amazing no rust or cracking of the paint
Did you leave the rotors and pads on the car when you painted them? I plan on taping and covering the needed parts but don't really want to pull the pads and remove the calipers from the rotors unless its really needed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you leave the rotors and pads on the car when you painted them? I plan on taping and covering the needed parts but don't really want to pull the pads and remove the calipers from the rotors unless its really needed.
Thanks!
On my Accord I removed the calipers and honestly that is the best route to take makes life so much easier. On the Atlas the rear caliper pin was impossible for me to take out since my socket was to large to fit into a very tight frame. I was able to remove the front caliper with ease so prepping is so much faster sanding and cleaning before painting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On my Accord I removed the calipers and honestly that is the best route to take makes life so much easier. On the Atlas the rear caliper pin was impossible for me to take out since my socket was to large to fit into a very tight frame. I was able to remove the front caliper with ease so prepping is so much faster sanding and cleaning before painting. View attachment 1458
With my cross sport still under 2000 miles do you think sanding is needed or can I just rough them up with a metal brush?

·
Registered
75 Posts
With my cross sport still under 2000 miles do you think sanding is needed or can I just rough them up with a metal brush?
Its all about prepping personally I would sand down regardless of condition and clean them with CRC brake cleaner then before painting clean with rubbing alcohol. The better the surface the longer the paint will last that the biggest mistake people make.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree that the extra time to take the caliper and pads off the wheel and extra prep will make the end result better and definitely last longer, especially when dealing with an epoxy based paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts