Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear but honestly....why not just accept this new tech and get used to it? Just about every vehicle comes with it now and like a lot of the new passive safety tech, just adapting to it is is the way to go IMHO....I enjoy the silence now at stop lights and have become smoother in how I apply the brakes/adapt my driving to anticipate when it will kick-on and even modulate the brake so it doesn't say when you know you will only stop for a few seconds and get going again....but I digress...

To your question - it seems it has gotten more challenging to disable on the new models..good luck and maybe someone can chime in. Have you tried the Atlas FB pages and the Atlas forum over on vwvortex?
NEW TECHNOLOGY ?!?! Shutting the engine off to save a miniscule amount of gas is old school. Used to do that in my 57 Chevy. New technology monitors everything around you and adjusts. Love that. Engine shut off ? 1963 technology.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Saw this one mentioned on VW Vortex

They say it works on 2021.5s. I ordered one. We‘ll see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup, it works. Got mine today. It is as easy to install as they say. They even include the plastic tool to remove the trim around the AC controls to get to the button. I would add that the cable itself is a bit large for the little compartment it is going into. I managed to jam it all in there by pushing the cable into an opening right in the middle, pushing it back so it would't interfere with reinstalling the trim.

Works as advertised. How often do you find that???

·
Registered
2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL R-Line
12 Posts
Yup, it works. Got mine today. It is as easy to install as they say. They even include the plastic tool to remove the trim around the AC controls to get to the button. I would add that the cable itself is a bit large for the little compartment it is going into. I managed to jam it all in there by pushing the cable into an opening right in the middle, pushing it back so it would't interfere with reinstalling the trim.

The ad says, "In under 1 minute our Start/Stop Solution can be installed so that this feature defaults to the off position each time the ignition is turned on." Does the 1 minute refer to installation time? Where & how does it connect?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The ad says, "In under 1 minute our Start/Stop Solution can be installed so that this feature defaults to the off position each time the ignition is turned on." Does the 1 minute refer to installation time? Where & how does it connect?
It’s a short cable that connects between the panel and the cable already in the car. It is literally plug and play, which is probably where the 1 minute claim comes from. It took me 5 minutes to reinstall everything, but I’m a klutz.

The short cable has a chip that sends the button activation signal when the car is powered up. So as far as the car is concerned, you pressed the button. Very elegant solution.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nobody is using B2B Fab?!?!?!

I ignored this thread for a while because I thought this was the one and only solution. Maybe it’s the only reliable one.

Nonetheless, I am impressed by B2B’s work across the board, you should consider this!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nobody is using B2B Fab?!?!?!

I ignored this thread for a while because I thought this was the one and only solution. Maybe it’s the only reliable one.

Nonetheless, I am impressed by B2B’s work across the board, you should consider this!
Yes, that’s the one I linked to in my post. It is an awesome and simple solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s a short cable that connects between the panel and the cable already in the car. It is literally plug and play, which is probably where the 1 minute claim comes from. It took me 5 minutes to reinstall everything, but I’m a klutz.

The short cable has a chip that sends the button activation signal when the car is powered up. So as far as the car is concerned, you pressed the button. Very elegant solution.
Saw this one mentioned on VW Vortex

They say it works on 2021.5s. I ordered one. We‘ll see.
I bought one on eBay and it arrived today. I plan to install it this weekend. The instructions that came with it consist of 3 pictures. I'll take notes on the installation and add words here.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I had problems jamming this harness in behind the trim piece too. Then a read Gruemeister's post again CAREFULLY.

As he said, you need to push [the original connector and] "the cable into an opening right in the middle, pushing [the whole harness]" through the opening.
The result is that the whole stop/start harness will be below the controls and stereo system.

I highly recommend this modification if you don't want the start/stop to default to Off. The function and switch still work. It just defaults to OFF when you start the engine. (y)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the start/stop dongle. It consists of a short harness with a memory chip that stores your last used action. It is easily removable and you can easily unplug it if you need to take your car in for service. I wouldn’t let a warranty issue stop you from getting the dongle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the start/stop dongle. It consists of a short harness with a memory chip that stores your last used action. It is easily removable and you can easily unplug it if you need to take your car in for service. I wouldn’t let a warranty issue stop you from getting the dongle.
Thanks for responding. Ordering one today

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Does anyone know if this voids anything on factory warranty?
Any modification can impact warranty claims. The idea is....what would this impact that could break and then you need it fixed? Likely not much Nothing like this "voids" your whole B2B warranty...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to register and post about my success story with the B2BFAB On/Off module for my 2021 Cross Sport. Just push in the cable as mentioned right from were the original comes out and you'll have no problem with room space. The panel clicked in with no tension from the cable. The pry-off tool worked like a charm. I started prying from the sides and managed to get the whole panel off easily and finished the install in less than 5 minutes. The B2BFAB module disables the auto On/Off about 7 seconds after starting the car. And you can enable it back by pushing the On/Off button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear but honestly....why not just accept this new tech and get used to it? Just about every vehicle comes with it now and like a lot of the new passive safety tech, just adapting to it is is the way to go IMHO....I enjoy the silence now at stop lights and have become smoother in how I apply the brakes/adapt my driving to anticipate when it will kick-on and even modulate the brake so it doesn't say when you know you will only stop for a few seconds and get going again....but I digress...

To your question - it seems it has gotten more challenging to disable on the new models..good luck and maybe someone can chime in. Have you tried the Atlas FB pages and the Atlas forum over on vwvortex?
Well said, initially I too was unsure of it, but as you mentioned it just takes a little getting used to. Also he should keep in mind, that those modulators will avoid the manufacturers warranty if anything happens to his car. Honestly why not just push the button to disable the system when you get in the car, eventually it will be second nature after pushing start, to then push disable. ☮

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Well said, initially I too was unsure of it, but as you mentioned it just takes a little getting used to. Also he should keep in mind, that those modulators will avoid the manufacturers warranty if anything happens to his car. Honestly why not just push the button to disable the system when you get in the car, eventually it will be second nature after pushing start, to then push disable. ☮
They will only impact the warranty on related parts which won't be much, easy enough to remove it when you take it in for service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the start/stop dongle you have is the www.b2bfab.com one, then it doesn't "stores your last used action". The www.b2bfab.com dongle reverses the switch signal.
  • The stop/start switch default state at engine startup is ON whether you have the b2bfab dongle or not.
  • Without the b2bfab dongle, pressing the start/stop switch changes the signal to OFF.
  • Turning the engine off and restarting the engine sets the stop/start state to ON (default).
With the b2bfab dongle:
  • When you start the engine, the start/stop switch state defaults to ON as usual. The default ON signal "goes through" the b2bfab dongle and the dongle reverses the signal to OFF.
  • Pressing the start/stop switch after engine startup changes the signal to "OFF" and the b2bfab dongle reverses the signal to ON.
IMO, it's an elegant but simple solution.
If you're concerned about the www.b2bfab.com voiding the warrantee, just remove it before you bring it in for service. The stop/start signal just won't be toggled. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is hard to disable and not can not be conventionally disabled by design due to USA NHTSA government regulations, so send your frustrations to them.

Personally I don't know why people find this feature so annoying, just that it is new, as it saves significant gasoline and emissions and I have not once had it affect my driving. The pros far outweigh the cons for me, but to each their own.

I think you will need to pursue this in another more VW focused forum as this is more a VW programming issue vs Atlas specific. I haven't seen detail to remove this feature posted here before.
For most vehicles, the car shakes when it restarts, minor issue, and it's smoother on some higher end cars like ones with a 48V light hybrid system. Also, Engineering Explained did a video on this topic, whether this feature saves fuel or not. It all depends on your stopping duration and the frequency. In urban stop & go traffic, it's extremely annoying, and I'm 100% sure it wastes more fuel than just idling in this scenario. And in hot summer your AC will stop cooling the air.
And a minor issue, it does puts more stress on your battery in the long run (though the battery might be beefier to cope with the extra power draw in the first place).
I am personally not super against this feature, but I do find it inconvenient for various reasons most of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In urban stop & go traffic, it's extremely annoying, and I'm 100% sure it wastes more fuel than just idling in this scenario. And in hot summer your AC will stop cooling the air.
And a minor issue, it does puts more stress on your battery in the long run (though the battery might be beefier to cope with the extra power draw in the first place).
I am personally not super against this feature, but I do find it inconvenient for various reasons most of the time.
Fair enough, haven't seen the engineering explained, but I could see that the fuel needed for restarts offsets could reduce savings.

Having it turn off at lights does very likely reduce emissions significantly.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts