Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just purchased my first Atlas, a 2021 SE w/Tech, V6, 4Motion. I do not want to utilize the auto start/stop function ever. I have done a lot of research on the topic. For now I have unplugged the 2-wire connector at the battery. Can anyone confirm if they have found a way to disable it in a 2021 via OBD2? I know it is possible on earlier models, but many forum posts suggest that it is not possible on later models.

Alternatively, can anyone confirm that they have succesfully used any of the following hardware solutions?
STYO: US $26.35 15% OFF|STYO Plug Play Engine Start Stop A OFF Auto Close Turn OFF Cable For Atlas 2017 2020 MQB Tiguan MK2 Touran 2016 2020|Chromium Styling| - AliExpress
aFlash: US $34.8 |For VW Volkswagen Atlas 2017 2020 Car Close Automatic Stop Start Engine System Device Control Sensor Plug Smart Stop Cancel|Automotive Interior Stickers| - AliExpress
aFlash: US $34.8 |Car Close Automatic Stop Start Engine System Device Control Sensor Plug Interior Accessories For VW Volkswagen T Roc 2017 2020|Automotive Interior Stickers| - AliExpress

Thanks, Eric

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear but honestly....why not just accept this new tech and get used to it? Just about every vehicle comes with it now and like a lot of the new passive safety tech, just adapting to it is is the way to go IMHO....I enjoy the silence now at stop lights and have become smoother in how I apply the brakes/adapt my driving to anticipate when it will kick-on and even modulate the brake so it doesn't say when you know you will only stop for a few seconds and get going again....but I digress...

To your question - it seems it has gotten more challenging to disable on the new models..good luck and maybe someone can chime in. Have you tried the Atlas FB pages and the Atlas forum over on vwvortex?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to the forum ebrewre (y)

I understand and hate the feature myself, like KarstGeo stated I've just worked it into my pre flight routine. Push the start, push the deactivated Start/Stop seat belt
and good to go. there have been a few time I've forgot until I stop and it's 115 degrees outside and notice the A/C drop.

Again, Welcome !

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is hard to disable and not can not be conventionally disabled by design due to USA NHTSA government regulations, so send your frustrations to them.

Personally I don't know why people find this feature so annoying, just that it is new, as it saves significant gasoline and emissions and I have not once had it affect my driving. The pros far outweigh the cons for me, but to each their own.

I think you will need to pursue this in another more VW focused forum as this is more a VW programming issue vs Atlas specific. I haven't seen detail to remove this feature posted here before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eric--I have the identical question. Not only is this irritating, it has become DANGEROUS. The stop start function has caused my 2021 Atlas to stall, repeatedly, in traffic. It happens most frequently when the car is on an incline (hill), but does that matter? I've previously owned both Lincoln and BMW SUVs with this feature, neither of which had this problem, and IT IS a problem. Enough of one that I am on the verge of returning this lemon to the dealership.

LRM

P.S. To the zero that comments below that this feature is a U.S. automaker regulatory issue, uh, not sure the last time you sat in another car in this country, but there are literally millions of other vehicles (including new manufacture) that lack this "feature." Not a requirement, and not desired--when it DOES NOT WORK.

I have just purchased my first Atlas, a 2021 SE w/Tech, V6, 4Motion. I do not want to utilize the auto start/stop function ever. I have done a lot of research on the topic. For now I have unplugged the 2-wire connector at the battery. Can anyone confirm if they have found a way to disable it in a 2021 via OBD2? I know it is possible on earlier models, but many forum posts suggest that it is not possible on later models.

Alternatively, can anyone confirm that they have succesfully used any of the following hardware solutions?
STYO: US $26.35 15% OFF|STYO Plug Play Engine Start Stop A OFF Auto Close Turn OFF Cable For Atlas 2017 2020 MQB Tiguan MK2 Touran 2016 2020|Chromium Styling| - AliExpress
aFlash: US $34.8 |For VW Volkswagen Atlas 2017 2020 Car Close Automatic Stop Start Engine System Device Control Sensor Plug Smart Stop Cancel|Automotive Interior Stickers| - AliExpress
aFlash: US $34.8 |Car Close Automatic Stop Start Engine System Device Control Sensor Plug Interior Accessories For VW Volkswagen T Roc 2017 2020|Automotive Interior Stickers| - AliExpress

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered one from the link below on ebay for $40. Should be here within a couple weeks. Will let you know how it works, but I think it probably will do exactly what I want. I haven't experienced any stalling yet, but have had auto start/stop turned off 75% of the time, either by the dashboard switch or unplugging the 2 wire plug on the battery.
Eric

Eric--I have the identical question. Not only is this irritating, it has become DANGEROUS. The stop start function has caused my 2021 Atlas to stall, repeatedly, in traffic. It happens most frequently when the car is on an incline (hill), but does that matter? I've previously owned both Lincoln and BMW SUVs with this feature, neither of which had this problem, and IT IS a problem. Enough of one that I am on the verge of returning this lemon to the dealership.

LRM

P.S. To the zero that comments below that this feature is a U.S. automaker regulatory issue, uh, not sure the last time you sat in another car in this country, but there are literally millions of other vehicles (including new manufacture) that lack this "feature." Not a requirement, and not desired--when it DOES NOT WORK.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can see that some people will take advantage of the feature, e.g. if you drive in a major city like NYC or LA and want to conserve gas, but for me the reality is that it's definitely annoying and could be potentially unsafe. I won't get into the extra wear and tear by the extra starts. However, for those of you that have been in major automobile accidents, you will know that a split second to restart your car could mean the difference between surviving or not. VW and others have done a lot of silly things through the years, like adding an air pump to the exhaust flow to pass emission tests when the same amount of effluent goes into the atmosphere and it means nothing for the environment.
Please let us know how the start stop button eliminator works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2018 atlas ran like **** for a year until I started always turning off the auto stop/start as soon as I start the car. Took it to the dealer a few times and they accused me of buying bad gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased an ODBeleven and you can disable this feature through its app. Its been working fine - meaning Auto Stop is actually disabled on my 2019 Prem Sel. I turn the car on, get to a stop light or whatever, can "feel" it coming when the thing would shut off, then nothing - keeps running. Life is good. The button light stays on like as if the feature is on, however you can see a prompt on the dash show up that shows it disabled when car would normally prompt that it is enabling the feature. So it does not matter if the button is on or off, the feature itself is turned off.
Hope this helps. You can buy these on Amazon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@mjfinpa, is there another thread that explains how to use the ODBeleven to turn off the start/stop feature? There are several different units and licensing options so not sure which one to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts