Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 SE 4Motion; just under 34k miles. My left front tire has significantly more wear that the other 3. The wear is also all over, not just one side. I took it in to have it looked at and they came back with its alignment and I needed to spend $300 for a new tire and alignment. (I’ve had issues with this service department ever since buying the car) The car doesn’t pull one way or another at ALL and doesn’t wobble. I’ve been told by a former service department employee they had a lot come in with hub issues and even suspension. I have an appointment with another dealership on Monday but wondered if anyone else had issues. Don’t want to spend $300 and not fix the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm no expert, but if it is only one tire, I've typically understood that as an inflation issue (either over or under). Unless you've hit something to knock that one wheel out of alignment, then I'd expect pulling and tracking issues to go along with it too, not just tire wear.

In regard to inflation, I think the general rule of thumb is that if under-inflated, it will wear on both sides but the middle will ok vs. over-inflation where the center of the tire experiences most wear the shoulders don't see as much wear. If you don't service the vehicle yourself, I'd encourage checking the tire pressures when you get home. I have a company car that I take to Valvoline for oil changes and rotations ... that last time I noticed 4 different guys inflating the tires and that could be a problem if they don't know the appropriate PSI.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
It certainly could need an alignment which isn't odd for a car that is ~2 years old. At 34K miles, I'm getting new tires all around and an alignment. No sense in replacing one of the stock tires at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does show a toe issue but the tire wear is very odd, even the service department agreed. I will be getting that addressed and a new tire but have asked them to dig further, as in bearings. I have a former VW service guy I’m friends with and he said they have had issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts