Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
We had a 2000 Jetta with the 2.slow that used so much oil over the first 10K miles it shocked me when I pulled the dipstick and it was dry
Dont worry my 02 2.0slow uses that much oil still and it has over 285k on the clock. Thing is reliable as all get out just uses oil due to the rings installed incorrectly from VW, I never made the recall for it since I was over the mileage.

Reactions: KarstGeo

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
Dont worry my 02 2.0slow uses that much oil still and it has over 285k on the clock. Thing is reliable as all get out just uses oil due to the rings installed incorrectly from VW, I never made the recall for it since I was over the mileage.
Yep - rings upside down was what I always heard. Once I switched over to Mobil 1 0W40/5W40 (can't recall which is was back then) it dropped WAY down in terms of oil consumption.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it is normal, all engines will have basically the same oil consumption. I have the 6 cylinder motor and what I thought was oil construction was the dealer adding 6 qts per oil change when it takes 7 to be in the normal range on the dip stick.
it sounds like an engine ring or could be an engine seal problem.The oil has to go somewhere
Seems as I do research more and more VW engines have issues that VW isn't doing much about.
We the people need to take this to the court of public opinion where impartial industry experts have their say
I also see on these posts that it is evident that there are a few VW trying to side track the facts. Dont fall for these posts. All company's have some issues its the companies that stand behind their products that matter, not hide behind their dealer network

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
Seems as I do research more and more VW engines have issues that VW isn't doing much about.
We the people need to take this to the court of public opinion where impartial industry experts have their say
I also see on these posts that it is evident that there are a few VW trying to side track the facts. Dont fall for these posts. All company's have some issues its the companies that stand behind their products that matter, not hide behind their dealer network
Please post up the details of your issue - oil type, how much consumption, miles on engine, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
evidently its poor quality control at the factory, and you should have done something way back when this first started
I am worried that folks like you sit on your hands and don't do anything for a resolution. You to must work for VW or a VW dealership its quite obvious

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
evidently its poor quality control at the factory, and you should have done something way back when this first started
I am worried that folks like you sit on your hands and don't do anything for a resolution. You to must work for VW or a VW dealership its quite obvious
There are also people that spend tons of time on issues fighting back and forth with dealers/manufacturers that really aren't a big deal, are design-related, or aren't an issue in the first place but they sure think they are. My time has value and if, as in the case above, I took it in (which I did) and spoke to the service folks about it, did the oil consumption test, and in the end it wasn't enough to make a change, why lose your mind about it? Drove that car for 14 years/220K before selling it with min. oil consumption after changing oil brand/type...if the rings were installed incorrectly, who cares in that case? I drove a $17K car for 14 years paid off, I'd say I did ok for myself on that one.

But back to this topic, are you going to toss up your data/info on this issue that I've ask for twice or just keep telling the folks that may actually be able help you/have experience/give solid advice that we "work for VW" b/c we aren't telling you to lemon law your Atlas yet?

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
Interesting take on quality control. Sure cars can have problems and as stated I missed the recall because my car had 180k on the clock. The car has over 100k more, do you think fighting for this warranty work to be completed was worth my time, no way. As Karst says there my time is more valuable than fighting for a car that was 10 years old. PS this car has zero rust on the body and and I never wash it plus in all the years of ownership has cost me less than most peoples single year of getting takeout bill. Guess Ill take that Quality Control over some silly oil burning.
As for working for VW that is a big negative, I am just an VW enthusiast.

Since this is an Atlas forum I would also like to back up Karst request and post data

Reactions: KarstGeo

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are also people that spend tons of time on issues fighting back and forth with dealers/manufacturers that really aren't a big deal, are design-related, or aren't an issue in the first place but they sure think they are. My time has value and if, as in the case above, I took it in (which I did) and spoke to the service folks about it, did the oil consumption test, and in the end it wasn't enough to make a change, why lose your mind about it? Drove that car for 14 years/220K before selling it with min. oil consumption after changing oil brand/type...if the rings were installed incorrectly, who cares in that case? I drove a $17K car for 14 years paid off, I'd say I did ok for myself on that one.

But back to this topic, are you going to toss up your data/info on this issue that I've ask for twice or just keep telling the folks that may actually be able help you/have experience/give solid advice that we "work for VW" b/c we aren't telling you to lemon law your Atlas yet?
1st if you think its is OK as VW says that a vehicle can burn up to over 8QTS of oil between oil changes, we have a real problem. On my new vehicle oil light went on at 7K then 1400 miles after first oil change an oil consumption test was done and concluded 3/4 qt of oil was burned.

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
1st if you think its is OK as VW says that a vehicle can burn up to over 8QTS of oil between oil changes, we have a real problem. On my new vehicle oil light went on at 7K then 1400 miles after first oil change an oil consumption test was done and concluded 3/4 qt of oil was burned.
What is your driving habits with your Atlas? Do you do a lot of short trips, lets says only a couple miles?

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
I find this link very helpful. the guy even says all car manufactures have issues.

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
So to be clear, your Atlas was down 3/4 qt in 1400 miles? On the original fill at 7K, light came on so likely about a quart down. None of these seem outrageous to me. Why are you talking about 8qts? Is that you or just something that go thrown out for effect? Yes, clearly, 8 qts is a lot and is more than the engine's capacity but your Atlas didn't see that consumption....right? Back on topic - you still haven't told us which oil this is? Do you check your oil regularly? I know folks don't think they have to on a modern car but I always do, once a month out of old habits which is a better way to manage this vs. waiting for a light to come on. A quart of oil over 7K is well within the realm of "normal", especially on the factory fill and is nothing to worry about. As I said in a post above - if you are running 0W20 oil, it will be consumed at a higher rate than say a 5W40.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Que Jeopardy music.....

So to be clear, your Atlas was down 3/4 qt in 1400 miles? On the original fill at 7K, light came on so likely about a quart down. None of these seem outrageous to me. Why are you talking about 8qts? Is that you or just something that go thrown out for effect? Yes, clearly, 8 qts is a lot and is more than the engine's capacity but your Atlas didn't see that consumption....right? Back on topic - you still haven't told us which oil this is? Do you check your oil regularly? I know folks don't think they have to on a modern car but I always do, once a month out of old habits which is a better way to manage this vs. waiting for a light to come on. A quart of oil over 7K is well within the realm of "normal", especially on the factory fill and is nothing to worry about. As I said in a post above - if you are running 0W20 oil, it will be consumed at a higher rate than say a 5W40.
The 8 QTS is what VW says is acceptable, that's the outrageous statement which is totally ridiculous As far as the original engine light coming on at 7K Im not sure if that's the first time as I purchased the car a a demo with 4K miles on it. .So based on the oil consumption test results I would conclude that oil was probably previously added before I took possession of the car, and of course VW dealer didn't alert me as the wanted to sell this LEMON. The oil used in this vehicle is done by a VW dealer so I wouldn't know what oil is used. I've had this same engine in 4 other vehicles and never had this issue. And again for VW dealer to tell me to ride around with oil and check once a week is another ridiculous statement. And just so you know I have statements from multiple VW mechanics and service advisors saying that there is a problem with oil consumption with VW that they try to sweep under the carpet.
THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH VW ENGINES BURNING OIL WHICH IS ALSO ADDING MORE DAMAGE TO THE ENVIORNMENT AS WELL

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
The 8 QTS is what VW says is acceptable, that's the outrageous statement which is totally ridiculous As far as the original engine light coming on at 7K Im not sure if that's the first time as I purchased the car a a demo with 4K miles on it. .So based on the oil consumption test results I would conclude that oil was probably previously added before I took possession of the car, and of course VW dealer didn't alert me as the wanted to sell this LEMON. The oil used in this vehicle is done by a VW dealer so I wouldn't know what oil is used. I've had this same engine in 4 other vehicles and never had this issue. And again for VW dealer to tell me to ride around with oil and check once a week is another ridiculous statement. And just so you know I have statements from multiple VW mechanics and service advisors saying that there is a problem with oil consumption with VW that they try to sweep under the carpet.
THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH VW ENGINES BURNING OIL WHICH IS ALSO ADDING MORE DAMAGE TO THE ENVIORNMENT AS WELL
What engine do you have? Where does VW say 8 qts is normal? The 1 qt/1200 miles per the manual? I said it above - if you see this kind of consumption all the time, obviously an issue but if you saw a limited period of higher-than-average oil consumption, I wouldn't worry about it and that's my interpretation of that info. The oil type is important to understand - just ask the dealer what they used, it should be on your service invoice. If they are using 0W20, you WILL have higher consumption no way around it. Overall, the 3.6 and 2.0 in the Atlas models are not known to be oil consumers or have an overall issue with this - now yours may but that is not representative of all these engines or indicate that VW is "sweeping this issue under the rug". Mine certainly doesn't consume enough to notice and the EA888 1.8/2.0 4s are in a bazillion GTIs, Rs, and Golf with no drama. Your Atlas isn't living up to your expectations - call VW and let them know and do the work they ask to measure the consumption...that's all you can do beyond trading it in. You hvae to measure this or you have nothing to stand on. I still am betting on them using 0W20 and if you swap to 5w40/VW502 00 oil you will see this issue disappear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What engine do you have? Where does VW say 8 qts is normal? The 1 qt/1200 miles per the manual? I said it above - if you see this kind of consumption all the time, obviously an issue but if you saw a limited period of higher-than-average oil consumption, I wouldn't worry about it and that's my interpretation of that info. The oil type is important to understand - just ask the dealer what they used, it should be on your service invoice. If they are using 0W20, you WILL have higher consumption no way around it. Overall, the 3.6 and 2.0 in the Atlas models are not known to be oil consumers or have an overall issue with this - now yours may but that is not representative of all these engines or indicate that VW is "sweeping this issue under the rug". Mine certainly doesn't consume enough to notice and the EA888 1.8/2.0 4s are in a bazillion GTIs, Rs, and Golf with no drama. Your Atlas isn't living up to your expectations - call VW and let them know and do the work they ask to measure the consumption...that's all you can do beyond trading it in. You hvae to measure this or you have nothing to stand on. I still be on them using 0W20 and if you swap to 5w40/VW502 00 oil you will see this issue disappear.
thanks for your thoughts
If you look and research VW already settled class action law suits over excessive oil consumption
I leave the type of oil put in up to VW if they are not putting in the best oil for my 2.0 engine shame on them.
Also there is plenty I can do and I am doing
VW says 1/2 qt per 600 miles is normal so lets do some basic match
10000 mile interval between oil changes divided by 600 miles = 16.66 and times that by 1/2 = 8.33 Qts used between oil changes. This is not normal and I and many others font care what VW says.
Also the excess oil is polluting the air we breathe Not cool

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
thanks for your thoughts
If you look and research VW already settled class action law suits over excessive oil consumption
I leave the type of oil put in up to VW if they are not putting in the best oil for my 2.0 engine shame on them.
Also there is plenty I can do and I am doing
VW says 1/2 qt per 600 miles is normal so lets do some basic match
10000 mile interval between oil changes divided by 600 miles = 16.66 and times that by 1/2 = 8.33 Qts used between oil changes. This is not normal and I and many others font care what VW says.
Also the excess oil is polluting the air we breathe Not cool
I don't know what I can offer you so I'll leave the convo here:

You need to 1) measure you consumption carefully to know what YOUR consumption is right now, don't worry about what the VW manual says or what previous issues were, class actions, etc. 2) find out the oil type being used, being an active participant in owning a car almost always lands you in a better place than not having all the info. VW dealers goof things all the time, and if you have the 3.6 or 2.0 and they are using oils with the VW508 00 approval which are 0W20 viscosity, you will consume more oil in the name of lower friction which of course nets you more mpgs which will counter your concern about the air quality issue. I linked a great video above by the Aussie guy on this - have you watched it?

I have asked multiple times - what engine do you have?

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You need to 1) measure you consumption carefully to know what YOUR consumption is right now, don't worry about what the VW manual says or what previous issues were, class actions, etc. 2) find out the oil type being used, being an active participant in owning a car almost always lands you in a better place than not having all the info. VW dealers goof things all the time, and if you have the 3.6 or 2.0 and they are using oils with the VW508 00 approval which are 0W20 viscosity, you will consume more oil in the name of lower friction which of course nets you more mpgs which will counter your concern about the air quality issue. I linked a great video above by the Aussie guy on this - have you watched it?

Good luck.

Good luck.
This is the entire issue that VW set their excessive oil consumption standards at a ridiculous rate unlike any other vehicle and they need to be challenged I f you think burning over 8 qts of oil is normal you need to go work, if not already doing so, as an advocate of ridiculousness .

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
This is the entire issue that VW set their excessive oil consumption standards at a ridiculous rate unlike any other vehicle and they need to be challenged I f you think burning over 8 qts of oil is normal you need to go work, if not already doing so, as an advocate of ridiculousness .
I have repeatedly said in my posts that I don't think losing 8 qts over a 10K change is normal or ok - but you have not shown that you are anywhere close to that - you lost what, a quart over a change?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no repeatedly said in my posts that I don't think losing 8 qts over a 10K change is normal or ok - but you have not shown that you are anywhere close to that - you lost what, a quart over a change?
your missing the statement that VW says 8qts of oul consumption between changes is OK
Maybe you should get a law degree and litigate on VW behalf. Its a loosing proposition VW is wrong and thats why they lost all the class action suits. Burning a qt of oil every 2000 miles is way too much in the court of public opinion

21 - 40 of 44 Posts