Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much oil is your Atlas using. I have about 5000 miles on my odometer and have added almost a full liter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How much oil is your Atlas using. I have about 5000 miles on my odometer and have added almost a full liter.
if your Atlas has a 3.6L engine, its full capacity will be 5.5 liters with a filter. For 2.0L four-cylinder Atlas models, you have 4.7 liters (again with a filter) to work with.

Have you had the oil light go off? Have you had the oil changed since purchasing?

On new vehicles I tell people to change their oil within 2-3K miles since the engine is still braking in there are a lot of chances that metal shavings or any other components are moving around.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
Seeing some consumption in line with that over the first 5K miles is nothing to be concerned with and will be in-line with what is presented w/r to this subject in the manual. I saw some drop over the first 5K as you have described (the engine is breaking in, you will get that) but as of current with 25K on the clock I have no significant oil consumption that requires adding/drops the level to the "fill" portion of the dipstick over my change intervals which to-date have averaged around 6K miles. I get my used oil analyzed and so far, everythign looks fine/in-range for wear metals, viscosity drop, fuel dilution, etc. with the dealer/bulk Castrol 5W40. I'll be going to DIY soon and will switch it up to Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 going forward. The factory fill I believe is an 0W30 (not sure whether it's 502 or 504 approval) - you will see less with a thicker oil such as a 5W40.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
if your Atlas has a 3.6L engine, its full capacity will be 5.5 liters with a filter. For 2.0L four-cylinder Atlas models, you have 4.7 liters (again with a filter) to work with.

Have you had the oil light go off? Have you had the oil changed since purchasing?

On new vehicles I tell people to change their oil within 2-3K miles since the engine is still braking in there are a lot of chances that metal shavings or any other components are moving around.
Oil capacity per the specs for both engines off the VW site below. There is no need for the old-school "early break-in oil change" - that's what an oil filter is for. If this was so critical, you would change the oil out about an hour after you started it for the first time b/c that's when all the initial break-in wear occurs. Certainly doesn't hurt, but also not necessary to have a well-maintained long-lasting vehicle.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oil capacity per the specs for both engines off the VW site below. There is no need for the old-school "early break-in oil change" - that's what an oil filter is for. If this was so critical, you would change the oil out about an hour after you started it for the first time b/c that's when all the initial break-in wear occurs. Certainly doesn't hurt, but also not necessary to have a well-maintained long-lasting vehicle.

2.0 View attachment 1376
3.6 View attachment 1377
Oil filters don't catch everything and since the engine is still breaking in, still a chance for something to get through. Better to be safe

Not sure where on vw sites you pulled that but I can tell if you do an oil change I would not put 7 quarts in you will ruin your Atlas.

Straight from my manual.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
The specs I showed were screen shots straight from the VW site for the Atlas with the 2.0 and 3.6. I can tell you with 100% surety that the 2.0 takes about 6 quarts, not 4.5 - the 1.8 has the same oil capacity and I change my own regularly in my Sportwagen and 6 is dead on top of the dip stick, the kits all come with 6. The Atlas is supposed to be the same, about 6 quarts but I have read reports of that not being enough - I haven't DIY'd mine yet to test it but based on the VW site info, maybe it takes more? Maybe those specs are assuming a dead empty fill? I agree the manual contradicts it.

On the early change outs - whatever makes you comfortable. For every person that does this there are a lot more that don't with no issue. MK4 Jetta with the 2.slow ran up to close to 300K/20 years with a first oil change at 5K. This is always a good discussion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The specs I showed were screen shots straight from the VW site for the Atlas with the 2.0 and 3.6. I can tell you with 100% surety that the 2.0 takes about 6 quarts, not 4.5 - the 1.8 has the same oil capacity and I change my own regularly in my Sportwagen and 6 is dead on top of the dip stick, the kits all come with 6. The Atlas is supposed to be the same, about 6 quarts but I have read reports of that not being enough - I haven't DIY'd mine yet to test it but based on the VW site info, maybe it takes more? Maybe those specs are assuming a dead empty fill? I agree the manual contradicts it.

On the early change outs - whatever makes you comfortable. For every person that does this there are a lot more that don't with no issue. MK4 Jetta with the 2.slow ran up to close to 300K/20 years with a first oil change at 5K. This is always a good discussion.
Thats concerning, when I did my last oil change per the dip stick it was at a good level. But if the website is saying something different thats something very serious; I will reach out VW directly because either they need to send people new owners manuals or confirm the correct oil amount. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Can you please share the link, I might create a thread for this topic

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
Thats concerning, when I did my last oil change per the dip stick it was at a good level. But if the website is saying something different thats something very serious; I will reach out VW directly because either they need to send people new owners manuals or confirm the correct oil amount. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Can you please share the link, I might create a thread for this topic
Look, in the end the dipstick wins...ahahahaha. The 3.6 change kits you buy online are 6 quarts. You just go to the VW site, go to models, choose Atlas, and go to explore. Then choose trims, choose whichever you want to look at, and choose specs. I'd say this is a different fill volume than reality and your manual will be correct.

There is a huge thread on the Atlas sub-forum on vwvortex re oil changes:

Also several Atlas/3.6 threads on bobistheoilguy.com forums under the Euro subforum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I will watch the oil consumption after the first oil change, which will probably be soon.
However, I would like to make a few comments.
1. There is a lot of controversy on the proper amount of oil to add. It seems to me that VW must have added larger oil pans that can account for the 5.5 to 7 quart range. Earlier vehicles seem to have a smaller oil capacity. I am sure that as long as the dipstick shows the proper level, everyone will be OK.
2. An oil filter will not catch any metal. It's like panning for gold, the heavier metal shavings are commonly found in the oil pan, with more metal especially with higher mileage cars. For this reason, I would not recommend using an oil extractor. In fact, for the DIY people, I would recommend swapping out the single use, plastic VW oil plug and substitute a metal plug with a magnet to catch metal particles. This is very popular with high performance cars where the wear factor is higher and you will be surprised how much metal is on that plug at oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will watch the oil consumption after the first oil change, which will probably be soon.
However, I would like to make a few comments.
1. There is a lot of controversy on the proper amount of oil to add. It seems to me that VW must have added larger oil pans that can account for the 5.5 to 7 quart range. Earlier vehicles seem to have a smaller oil capacity. I am sure that as long as the dipstick shows the proper level, everyone will be OK.
2. An oil filter will not catch any metal. It's like panning for gold, the heavier metal shavings are commonly found in the oil pan, with more metal especially with higher mileage cars. For this reason, I would not recommend using an oil extractor. In fact, for the DIY people, I would recommend swapping out the single use, plastic VW oil plug and substitute a metal plug with a magnet to catch metal particles. This is very popular with high performance cars where the wear factor is higher and you will be surprised how much metal is on that plug at oil changes.
I'm with you on the capacity - some say the 5.7 quarts isn't enough to even touch the dipstick so maybe this is right - capacity changed?

The plug on the 3.6 is metal - the plastic disposable one is on the 2.0 (and my 1.8). I think the mag plugs are probably worth it for such a low cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts