Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Atlas SE V6 manual indicates the first oil change at 1 year or 10,000 miles yet at 9 months and 5,200 miles my "change oil" reminder says it is 20 days over due. When should the oil be changed and what type of oil? Regular, synthetic blend, or full synthetic?

Love the car. Would love fewer issues.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's 10K miles or 1 year. If the vehicle sat for a while on the lot the 1 year may come up before you have owned it one year. Oil - read the manual, it will outline the info. With VWs - it's about approvals. The VR will take either a VW504 00 or VW502 00. Weight is a separate discussion - mostly the 502 oils are 5W40 or 0W40 and the 504 oils are 5W30 or 0W30. These oils are common and available at auto parts stores or better yet, Walmart. Mobil 1 and Castrol both make a Euro 0W40 that does very well in these engines. I believe the only commonly available 504 oil is a Mobil 1 5W30. All of these oils are synthetic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The manual does say 10000, or 15000 kms. in Canada, I think that is too long. Toyota did that years ago and they had problems with engine sludge. I have decided to change mine at 5000, plus my neighbour is a VW mechanic and he advised the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Used oil analysis shows differently - plenty of examples of 10K oil changes being just fine using a high-quality VW502 00 oil. No reason to no trust the data.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Same here. It says 1yr or 10k but, the dealer put an oil change reminder on my windshield for 5K. Is that just the dealer trying to make a buck?

I'd contact the dealer and ask for a printed history of what has been done to your Atlas.

I'm sure there is an explanation especially depending on the area you live in :wink2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Took the Atlas in today. $122 for Castol 0/30w synthetic and filter. My dealer sticker indicates 1 year or 10,000 miles, just like the manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts