Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm 24 hours into owning a spanky new 2018 VW Atlas SEL 2WD (Platinum Grey Metallic/Titan Black). I am so pumped!:grin2:

I own/operate a video production company, and I needed a vehicle that could perform well as an equipment transport as well as a crew/client transport. I also have a family of four, so long trips with camping supply and (eventually) pulling a travel trailer will hopefully be in our future...

The huge payload capacity of the Atlas with all seats down really caught me, and the Euro styling/muscle combo exterior kept me interested in this SUV since it was announced. I went with the SEL trim because I love the panoramic sunroof and the 5000 lb towing capacity was important. I think the sweet spot price-wise is an SE or SE with Tech, but stock is so limited in the Bay Area and I was impatient! My local dealer sold three the three Atlases he had in 10 days or so, and I bought the last one on the last day of the month, which I think gave me a little extra room negotiating. In general I am getting the feeling that people are gobbling these things up, as stock seems to continue to be thin.

So far I'm thrilled with the purchase. It's a perfect mix of luxury, quality, utility and power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Panoramic sunroof is definitely something that I adore and would definitely need to be part of my Atlas as well.

Be sure to put photos up as soon as you get it and congratulations!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chuck - it was hard to avoid staring at the car all weekend, it sure is pretty. It definitely has an element of 'luxury' from the outside - perhaps that's because it's new and different from the mobs of Explorers, Pilots and Highlanders I tend to see all over this area. Or maybe it's just that I'm biased!:laugh:

I'll try to get some pics...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can imagine. I would be out there giving her a wipe down every hour or two haha. Have you gotten it paint sealed or clear wrapped or anything?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Chuck - it was hard to avoid staring at the car all weekend, it sure is pretty. It definitely has an element of 'luxury' from the outside - perhaps that's because it's new and different from the mobs of Explorers, Pilots and Highlanders I tend to see all over this area. Or maybe it's just that I'm biased!:laugh:

I'll try to get some pics...
Its the same everywhere at least when it comes to the Explorer and Highlander, Honda's are under represented where I live. Suburbans and Tahoes are also common especially in the city as fleet vehicles. The Atlas is nice enough to be part of fleets that Suburbans and Tahoes sit in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just following up... it's been just under a month, I've got just under 1000 miles on my Atlas SEL, and I've gotta say.... I am loving this car. I have come from a Honda and Toyota background, and have luckily had some very predictable and reliable vehicles.... but the only time I felt a 'love' for them was when they stuck around for 10+ years and ultimately paid themselves off over and over.... but this car is different. It has a pretty sophisticated feeling to the handling, I can get punch and pickup from the gas, the brakes work great, and the steering is VERY solid. The entertainment system is definitely leagues above the Toyota/Honda vibe, and although I am getting used to some things, I am welcoming the opportunity to drive as much as possible and I take the long way home from time to time just to take in the sites and feel the breeze with all the windows open and the sunroof open as well.

It's 50% commuter car, 25% family wagon, and 25% work vehicle at this point, although the times I've taken my gear and co-workers out on a job in the rig have been notably spacious, comfortable, and relaxing. The black leatherette interior is pretty darn comfortable, and the spaciousness in the car (even with the third row down and the back packed with gear) has been almost comical. This thing really has interior space for days, without looking like too much of a behemoth from the outside.

Funny enough, no one has stopped me to inquire about it..... I've caught no one looking twice at me as I've passed by, and I feel like I'm secretly disguised in an unknown vehicle. To top it off I have not seen another Atlas the road yet either.... I know that availability in July took a hit, so I was lucky to get mine when I did, but it's a curious (and pretty cool) feeling to be driving a totally unique car on the road for a month.... especially one as cool as the Atlas!

All in all, I'm one happy customer, no regrets here....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts