Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

noise while accelerating on lower gear

115K views 208 replies 65 participants last post by  Efuye 
#1 ·
I drive an Atlas 3.6, 2018 model (approx 9K Miles). Since the day I've driven the car, I hear a sort of grinding noise of metal plates while suddenly accelerating on lower gears . Also I hear this grinding noise, while I switch off the engine. Anyone, with the same experience???

#2 ·
Discussed ad-nauseum here, on vwvortex, and the FB groups. Do some searching...you will find all sorts of info that will tell you nothing...not a single person has had an actual issue related to it AND no dealer that I have found through researching this issue (I have it too) has done a thing about it b/c I don't think there is anything wrong. Lots of speculation but again, zero issues but a noise that can be somewhat annoying. The tranny just needs to kick down to 2 vs. hanging in 3 which is the source of the noise and I speculate they just need a tranny re-program to sort it out. Here's a video of mine:

Noise after shut-off is related to the start/stop system and is not an issue. Search etc. will find info again, that points to no issue/they all do it/it's normal/move along.

#7 ·
Hello. I joined this forum specifically because I was hoping somebody could tell me more about this noise problem, which I also have had since I bought my 2018 Atlas 3.6

My dealer admits that it is present in most/all of the Atlas cars. Doesn't know what it is.
I do consider this a problem. Gives me the creeps every time I accelerate uphill. What if the transmission wears out early? I don't want to live/drive like that. Does anybody know if this could be a valid reason for a return of the car?

#8 ·
I have not heard one story on the forums/FB etc. of a tranny going out related to this noise..zero. It's fine. You have a 72K warranty. It's not a valid reason to return a car and expect a buy back etc. b/c it makes a noise that most of them make. It only does it once in a while, it doesn't bother me.

#9 ·
Other owners have experienced much more serious issues, so I don't think a simple noise will warrant any kind of lemon claim. Also if your car is brand new, the sound could become less noticeable with wear in. As KarstGeo has said there is no correlation between this noise and transmission problems.

#11 ·
Let's put it this way if there is a trany issue I could guarantee you that a dealership will push the client to make a lot of noise. If you ask why, it is because the dealership will end up making a lot more money for such a great amount of work.

The ones that have complained and where some have reported that a reset did the trick for them. May be the rest should first ask for that reset first and then if that does not do it go for the next step. lemon Laws are there to protect consumers and not there to be taken advantage off.

#12 ·
I've driven many different vehicles with start/stop systems including other VW models and none have had this audible issue. Driving through a parking garage with the radio off, I thought someone else's vehicle was making that grinding noise. It only happens when you initially start accelerating (low gears) it can be heard by anyone outside the Atlas but not really inside unless the window(s) is down or everything is off inside. The last rounds of recalls I thought for sure they would've fixed this sound with half or more of the 2018 models experiencing it. Metal on Metal is bound to wear down and of course it will happen after the warranty is expired no matter how long it is. My wife loves the Atlas but I'm not happy with the sound of inevitability.

#14 ·
I have the same issue. My Atlas was one of the first off the lot and I started hearing it soon after. Had it in multiple times and even had a regional quality control guy from out of state go for a ride with me to help diagnose. Never figured it out. Now I just live with fact I have a $40k+ vehicle that sounds like a 20 year old rust bucket driving through the neighborhood. I don’t care if it is a sound that is normal but doesn’t sound normal. It sounds cheap and it’s annoying and that should be something VW should be concerned with.

#115 ·
Dit

Ditto! Heads are turning at stop lights as I accelerate from a stop (or rolling stop). I think they expect to see a 20-year-old truck... but instead they see this brand new (40K!) Atlas from VW. Thanks Volkswagon. I'm embarrassed to have people see me in this, much less take them for a drive.

#16 ·
I've got a 2019 Atlas and have a grinding issue as well (existed the day I got it, of course didn't figure it out until after I drove off the lot). The noise sounds are identical to the noise in the video posted on this thread earlier (12-30-2018, 07:45 AM). Frequently occurs when going up hills under 30mph under slight acceleration. I've actually recreated my grinding sound without the vehicle moving. I put one foot on the brake, put the car in drive, and slightly press down on the accelerator - this causes the grinding to occur, but only at the sweet spot of just a little bit more than barely pressing the accelerator. What's bizarre is that while doing that (and while the grinding sound is occurring), if I move the shifter to the right (put in manual shift mode) then the sound goes away - if I put the shifter back to the left (automatic shift mode), the sound returns. I can go back and forth with the shifter and the grinding sounds comes and goes consistently. I've tested and confirmed this occurs in Economy, Normal and Sport modes. I know there's been talk about this occurring when the car is in a specific gear, but for the grinding issue I have, I believe I have eliminated a specific gear(s) as the cause of the problem. Also believe this eliminates my initial theory that the transmission was just at the point of a downshift when the grinding sound occurred. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has the grinding sound can confirm if they can also recreate it following the steps I've outlined. I've got an appt setup in a few weeks at the dealership...I'd like to go there armed with a bit more info on what others are experienced.

#55 ·
I have the same problems. I just brought a 2019 Atlas in May. Started hearing the scraping and grinding noises, took it to the dealer in July. they couldn’t figure it out, then was told it was normal, next was told it could be the CVT Transmission or the Torque Converter. I have been to the dealer 4 times with this problem. Waiting to hear from the company about what they plan to do about the problem. Very disappointed with VW. I might have to get a Lemon Law Attorney if nothing is done about the problem. It seems like there is a lot of problems with the 2018 and 2019 Atlas model.

#18 ·
Q

Appreciate the posts here. I thought it was just me. I have heard this noise since leaving the lot. Now with than 800 miles and about to take a trip I was getting very concerned - almost called the dealer. Will do so after returning and see what they say.
We should ALL start documenting this in case we need to engage VW to address this! My guess is if enough people show the issue they will want to actually fix this rather than risk more bad press (can anyone say Diesel?).
To the folks who say its not a problem I appreciate the reassurance but what are you basing this on? I'm not so a tranny noise is a good thing long term.
These forums are great for keeping informed so we should stick together in case we need to push back to VW Engineering for a fix if the VW service departments come up empty.
My 2 cents...thanks!

#114 ·
I agree. There is not nearly enough here for a class-action lawsuit. But, we all need to call VW Customer Care... get a Case Number (I've done this)... take our Atlas' to VW service departments... and complain (without getting angry :) They need to know we are not going away. Maybe, just maybe, we can be the ones who get them to consider a recall.

#20 · (Edited)
KarstGeo, completely agree and not a path I suggest taking.
Folks if you have this noise start reporting it to the dealer service departments and email VW. Since this seems to be a common problem, even if just annoying noise and no physical impact, numbers need to speak to VW so they will take notice.
VW has substantial investment in the Atlas class of vehicles out now and the ones coming (trucks and sport classes) and if this noise is a common problem and enough people are reporting it to VW (the key) then they will put engineering resources into a solution. Typically VW corporate will not act unless enough dealers and consumers call out the issues to them.
Here's how to contact them. Have your VIN handy.

Volkswagen complaints contacts:
Call Customer Care on 1-800-822-8987.
Call Headquarters on (248) 754-5000.

#22 ·
While I understand, the point I am trying to make is...it's possible that this is quite within the engineering of the tranny and possibly totally "normal" so they may have no reason to change it beyond it annoys some people. The best way to approach it isn't "my Atlas makes a noise I don't like", rather "My Atlas's transmissions needs to shift into second at X speed and Y RPM vs. stay in third which is causing noises that are concerning."

#21 ·
For the second time, I took my 2018 Atlas SE to Danbury, CT VW to look into the acceleration noise (for me, it's not just a noise, the car does not accelerate properly during this short hissing/grinding noise time, it lags and then suddenly lunges forward). The tech heard the noise, said he'd never heard it and it was def not right. After it being in the shop for the day, they gave me the keys and said it's a normal "intake" noise. No other explanation, nothing.

The first time I took the car in, they said they didn't hear it. I checked the mileage on the car - they never even took it out for a drive to actually listen to the noise.

#23 ·
The dealers are not being given the info from VW so no blame there and this is most definately not the intake runners opening...it's the tranny. The big issue is not being able to replicate it; it's very easy/predictable. I note no issues with accelerating when those noises happen on mine. Best thing is to ensure that you can replicate the noise at-will then have the tech from teh dealer come with you to make sure 100% that they 1) hear the noise and 2) understand the conditions in which you can produce it.

#24 ·
Good info KarstGeo. My 2019 Atlas S 4MO now has 6,000 miles since last December. I've yet to experience any of the issues mentioned, not even a hint of noise or transmission quirkiness. Interesting that some would and some wouldn't. I've read the posts here and Vortex, and can't determine if this is something that is most common from day one, or after time, at a certain mileage, or how many of us don't have the issue at all. This is my first VW and I couldn't be happier with the Atlas.

#25 ·
My take is actually that they all do do it just some either don't notice it or it's more subdued. My friend/neighbor has a '18 and I drove hers and could replicate it easily but it wasn't as loud as our and she looked at me like I was nuts when I told her as in "I never hear anything". Here are a few videos I posted on this issue:

#26 ·
If you don't have this problem, please chime in too - thanks. Curious to know opinions on the other side of this noise thing. Its soooo annoying, and those of us that have it want to know if its fixable or is causing any real issues.

Took a trip to Maine, now have almost 3k on my 2019 Prem Sel with no real improvement or diminishment of the noise. Had it in the dealer for a tire balance issue just prior (hit a pothole) and questioned the service advisor who said they had not heard of any of these reports. He seemed ledgit. So either this is isolated to "luck of the draw" thing or its a quirk? Drove 9 hours back, dropped my son, then pulled out of parking spot - screeeeech!
- Happens 75% of the time.
- Nearly always happens starting from stopped position or at low speed pressing the accelerator. Rarely heard at hight speeds, sometimes mid 30-40MPG.
- For me, shifting into manual mode or starting in manual mode does not affect the noise.
- It sounds like a belt screeching more than anything else.

** If anyone has mechanical training and can share an opinion on what this might be it would be much appreciated. I will try to capture a video and post.
Appreciate the owner starting this thread and all who are chiming in!

#27 ·
Have you spent any time researching his here, FB groups, vortex? This has been discussed ad-nauseum. The conditions which you get it are well understood and discussed in the notes of my video(s) posted above. The general consensus is this is coming from the torque converter. Since it is only happening at low rpms in third gear under load (needs to be less than 1500 rpm) it is most likely cavitation from the tranny not being in low-enough gear starting off. Just like trying to roll a stop in third gear in a stick when you really should have downshifted. That's really all this is and can only be eliminated by changing the tranny programming to drop it to second in those instances but this hasn't happened. Modern vehicles try to remain in the highest gear possible for fuel economy and this, in my humble opinion, is all this is. I have not read of one tranny failure/issues that was pinpointed to be related to this noise. I also believe that 100% of them do this but not everyone notices/cares. I drove my neighbors and was easily able to recreate the sound by putting in the proper conditions - it wasn't quite as loud as mine but she has no clue it made a noise. This is why, even in manual mode, you can't start an automatic from a stop in a gear other than first/second.

#29 · (Edited)
The Atlas transmission doesn't shift down to appropriate gears as it should at certain speeds and that is due to its design for "fuel savings," per a very reliable source! I have driven in my 45 years driving career many types of vehicles mostly Mercedes and BMW, and raced Rally cars as well in Europe, and I have to say the Atlas Premium SEL, which I own, and perhaps all of the Atlas models, have the issue with the gear shift in Drive (automatic) mode. Now you can test this, slow down to 15 mi/hr and shift over to Sport mode (manual) and see what gear you're in on the dash. It will show 99% of the time gear # 3. The gear at that speed should be in 2 not 3!!!!! I don't care what anybody says! I use my vehicle 90% of the time in Sport mode (manual shifting), and this problem with the gears goes bye-bye. The 8 speed transmission is a long way downshifting from 8 to 2 in Sport mode, that's the only problem. This is not a Ferrari, it's a VW SUV, but it's okay. Also, if you drive at 40mi/hr and shift over to Sport mode you can check what gear the transmission is in, and I can tell you, most of the time the gear will be already in 7 or 8 already. Again, "fuel savings," which is not true! I tested mine driving in Sport mode (shifting manually), and my fuel economy is better than in Drive (automatic) mode and as soon as I start the vehicle I turn off the start-stop mode feature. I don't like it and I don't think it's good for the engine stopping and starting in traffic 30x in 5 min. Also, in South Florida is 100F so we need the A/C going at all times! In the city I like to drive in manual (Sport mode) and never shift above the 6th gear unless drive over 60mi/hr. This vehicle was made to go 130mi/hr no problems and the high gear ratio was designed to reduce tear and wear on the engine running smoothly at low RPM.

#119 ·
This is a great analysis. Thanks! I've tried the same thing and you are absolutely correct – this transmission is a a race to reach 8th gear! Manual mode is fun and drives 90% better than any three of the auto modes. BUT, I don't want to drive in manual all the time. Battling VW Customer Care now. We'll see.

#30 ·
This is a layman's question. Is there a mechanics opinion who think this gear change related noise could be hurting anything mechanical, like the torque converter, over time?

By the way, I've taken all the great input here and applied to my own testing an I can confirm an elimination of the noise by driving in Tiptronic Manual mode . I've driven stick for years and used to play a lot in manual mode with my Touareg's, so after getting a feel for the Atlas was comfortable trying only manual mode for a few days. Only after two days when back in automatic mode, either normal or sport (way less in sport), do I get the sound (agreed ad-nauseum but worth the continued discussion until some resolution found).

Thanks for listening.

#31 ·
PLEASE READ THIS!

I bought a 2019 SEL Premium 4Motion in March of this year 2019. I too was experiencing the same sound and under the same conditions as others have mentioned ...please note that I am STILL experiencing the sound to this day even after a "fix". I brought the sound up a few days after I bought the car, at the time the dealership's Service Manager gave me some bologna explanation and I left. I took it again to the dealership for the same noise a month later and they changed the Torque Converter on my Atlas. The sound is still there!!

I contacted VW Corporate and urge anyone experiencing this sound/noise to bring it to their attention as well! I am currently in conversation with a Regional Case Manager at VW Corporate and still have to see what will happen. Keep in mind this is not just about the noise but what the root cause is; which is coming from metal on metal abrasion causing the sound that most likely will cause issues with the transmission sooner rather than later if not corrected. I did not bring up the Torque Converter as being the cause of the sound, the dealer did! I simply complained about the noise.

Please go to these YouTube pages to see what the sound is that many of us are referring to:

#32 ·
How do you know it's metal on metal? Sounds like a whining pump cavitation to me. Your experience is the reason that I always say - its just going to make this noise by design; they changed your t-converter and it still does it. The video of the rattling springs states in the description that his fix didn't fix the acceleration noise, but only the rattle after you shut if off. Look, I don't care for it either but honestly I just think it's some pump noise from lugging the motor at low rpm/too high a gear - it's a fact. If they just have it shift down to second vs. third at near-stops, you'd never hear it and they will never change that programming b/c of it's impact on the mpgs. Good luck and let us know if you find out anything different.

#33 ·
Help me, and everyone else here understand by adding some context. I've read some of your replies/posts in this forum (and in particular in this thread)...your posts come across as very defensive of not only VW, but also of some of the call-outs people have towards their vehicles (in this instance, the Atlas). Why is that?
Also, do you own an Atlas?

Your response to my post with the videos is naive at best. If you think that sound in the first video is 'normal' or 'by design'...is comical. Normal? Really? I've owned and driven MANY brands and models of cars (in all classes...SUVs, Sedans, Coupes, Trucks, Vans, etc.) ; and I have never experienced such a noise from a car (particularly from a BRAND NEW car!)

Your response almost sounds as if you work for VW or have some other vested interest to even be taken serious. I'm trying to help everyone in here by giving my genuine, real input. Not some dismissive, accusatory input as yours comes along as.

#39 ·
Thank you for sharing, I hope VW will find this "noise" is more than an annoying issue and will provide a fix for all Atlas owners. Currently, I absolutely hate getting behind the wheel of my Atlas, I live in a twisty road, hilly area - it's complete madness hearing and feeling (car does not correctly accelerate) this major issue - the car cannot make it up a hill or slowly drive thru town without feeling herky-jerky and turning heads with the noise. It's not normal and should not be acceptable.

#41 ·
I'm adding some thoughts from my reply to hydroatlas post on this ISSUE. And thanks to all who are posting on this issue!

From senior to junior members, and Atlas Guests, if you are experiencing this noise, the point is, THIS IS AN ISSUE!! Any way you look at it, this is an engineering fail - albeit may not be causing any mechanical issues, or is it? That should be everyone's concern - owners, dealers, and manufacturer because everyone has something at risk here regardless of the annoyance factor. I personally love my Atlas, and have been drivign in manual mode to get around this - BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO?? Sorry I'm yelling at VW not you the reader

So keep posting until VW takes notice and fixes it. The more posts - the more people will know. I've decided to take it to the dealer to get a "Customer Concern" service record on record, suggest all do the same.

VW - If its as simple as a software update, then just do it. Start listening, and then start talking to your customer base!

#42 ·
I'm adding some thoughts from my reply to hydroatlas post on this ISSUE. And thanks to all who are posting on this issue!

From senior to junior members, and Atlas Guests, if you are experiencing this noise, the point is, THIS IS AN ISSUE!! Any way you look at it, this is an engineering fail - albeit may not be causing any mechanical issues, or is it? That should be everyone's concern - owners, dealers, and manufacturer because everyone has something at risk here regardless of the annoyance factor. I personally love my Atlas, and have been drivign in manual mode to get around this - BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO?? Sorry I'm yelling at VW not you the reader

So keep posting until VW takes notice and fixes it. The more posts - the more people will know. I've decided to take it to the dealer to get a "Customer Concern" service record on record, suggest all do the same.

VW - If its as simple as a software update, then just do it. Start listening, and then start talking to your customer base!

*UPDATE*

I opened a case with VW Corporate and they assigned a Regional Case Manager, below are updates to my concerns relayed to the Case Manager regarding the noise:
  • I suggested VW extend my existing warranty (not in whole); but towards the transmission and torque converter
  • I also suggested they can buyback my car
  • I suggested that if VW is saying this is not an issue of concern; then they need to document it for me so that if issues happens right outside the warranty; and if the issue is indeed tied to transmission and torque converter..that VW will replace it.
They will give push back folks; but this has to be addressed to not only your service department where you purchased the Atlas from or take it to get serviced...but it ALSO has to be a case you open up with Volkswagen corporate. It cannot be an either/or...has to be both! My case is still pending and I will keep folks updated; however do not wait on me...go ahead and open a case! This is NOT NORMAL folks. I have owned MANY cars in my lifetime and know enough about cars to know that this is not normal.