Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Atlas and have been experiencing the same "grinding" noise when accelerating from a low gear. I had my dealership Service department look at and like many in this room, I was told that the noise was "normal". They said the noise was coming from the air intake. I'm not a car expert, but I have driven enough to know what a normal car noise is and this is not one of them. I don't know if the noise will eventually cause damage to the car or not, but either way, I know that when you buy a new car, it shouldn't make a sound that is distracting and embarrassing.

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
I have a 2019 Atlas and have been experiencing the same "grinding" noise when accelerating from a low gear. I had my dealership Service department look at and like many in this room, I was told that the noise was "normal". They said the noise was coming from the air intake. I'm not a car expert, but I have driven enough to know what a normal car noise is and this is not one of them. I don't know if the noise will eventually cause damage to the car or not, but either way, I know that when you buy a new car, it shouldn't make a sound that is distracting and embarrassing.
It is 100% not the intake - it's the tranny/torque converter as is shown in this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is 100% not the intake - it's the tranny/torque converter as is shown in this thread.
I agree, the sound has nothing to do with air flow, but it was the answer they gave me. I'm sure they either didn't hear the sound like they said they did, or they were just making something up to have some kind of answer.

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
I agree, the sound has nothing to do with air flow, but it was the answer they gave me. I'm sure they either didn't hear the sound like they said they did, or they were just making something up to have some kind of answer.
The dealers are in a bad position with this - VW doesn't seem to have done much w/r to communicating what is the cause so they are left to figure it out. Some of the engines did have some intake runners that would open and make more induction noise but again, this is the trans and it's been documented several times (I think I ahve some things posts here showing dealer tickets etc. describing it). In the end, there is no fix so this is really a move on with yoru life one...just being honest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2019 Atlas has the same issue. This is not only embarrassing for us as owners, but it is a massive embarrassment for VW and the engineers that were involved in designing or testing this transmission. I don't care if this tranny/torque converter wasn't developed by VW; it was tested and approved by VW. This horrible noise issue should be corrected. This is our 5th VW and will be the last one. I think we should all get huge magnetic signs on our nosy Atlas SUVs that say, "Don't buy one if you are looking for quality." I bet VW would respond to that if one of the news stations picked up on it! I bet Elon Musk would! He responds to all complaints or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
My wife's 2019 Atlas has the same issue. This is not only embarrassing for us as owners, but it is a massive embarrassment for VW and the engineers that were involved in designing or testing this transmission. I don't care if this tranny/torque converter wasn't developed by VW; it was tested and approved by VW. This horrible noise issue should be corrected. This is our 5th VW and will be the last one. I think we should all get huge magnetic signs on our nosy Atlas SUVs that say, "Don't buy one if you are looking for quality." I bet VW would respond to that if one of the news stations picked up on it! I bet Elon Musk would! He responds to all complaints or suggestions.
A bit extreme don't you think....ahahahahahah....but by all means, go for it if this bothers you that much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit extreme don't you think....ahahahahahah....but by all means, go for it if this bothers you that much.
I don't think it is. I have a $40k SUV that sounds like a lawnmower dragging a bunch of metal cans when driving up the road. Our street is about 3/4 of a mile uphill with a 15mph speed limit. This PoS makes that sound the whole way up. We have two other cars that are not VW, and none makes this sound; this is not normal. VW is a joke; German engineering is a thing of the past!

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
I don't think it is. I have a $40k SUV that sounds like a lawnmower dragging a bunch of metal cans when driving up the road. Our street is about 3/4 of a mile uphill with a 15mph speed limit. This PoS makes that sound the whole way up. We have two other cars that are not VW, and none makes this sound; this is not normal. VW is a joke; German engineering is a thing of the past!
I hear this only once in a while...mainly when I turn onto my street b/c I roll the stop sign and it stays in third gear. Just put it in sport mode which sorts it out most of the time. It's really a v. minor thing to me but if this bothers you this much, can also consider getting rid of the vehicle and moving on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive an Atlas 3.6, 2018 model (approx 9K Miles). Since the day I've driven the car, I hear a sort of grinding noise of metal plates while suddenly accelerating on lower gears . Also I hear this grinding noise, while I switch off the engine. Anyone, with the same experience???
The grinding or low hum is when I am going 30-40 mph. So far, the 2019 Atlas I purchased in August of 2019 has been in the shop twice. The "clock spring" and sway bars seem to be the problem. There is a production problem with the part also. It takes about a month for a working part to arrive. Sickening for a 2019 to be having these problems. I am so glad the car is under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
The grinding or low hum is when I am going 30-40 mph. So far, the 2019 Atlas I purchased in August of 2019 has been in the shop twice. The "clock spring" and sway bars seem to be the problem. There is a production problem with the part also. It takes about a month for a working part to arrive. Sickening for a 2019 to be having these problems. I am so glad the car is under warranty.
That is a different issue than the torque converter noise that is being discussed here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2019 Atlas and have a grinding issue as well (existed the day I got it, of course didn't figure it out until after I drove off the lot). The noise sounds are identical to the noise in the video posted on this thread earlier (12-30-2018, 07:45 AM). Frequently occurs when going up hills under 30mph under slight acceleration. I've actually recreated my grinding sound without the vehicle moving. I put one foot on the brake, put the car in drive, and slightly press down on the accelerator - this causes the grinding to occur, but only at the sweet spot of just a little bit more than barely pressing the accelerator. What's bizarre is that while doing that (and while the grinding sound is occurring), if I move the shifter to the right (put in manual shift mode) then the sound goes away - if I put the shifter back to the left (automatic shift mode), the sound returns. I can go back and forth with the shifter and the grinding sounds comes and goes consistently. I've tested and confirmed this occurs in Economy, Normal and Sport modes. I know there's been talk about this occurring when the car is in a specific gear, but for the grinding issue I have, I believe I have eliminated a specific gear(s) as the cause of the problem. Also believe this eliminates my initial theory that the transmission was just at the point of a downshift when the grinding sound occurred. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has the grinding sound can confirm if they can also recreate it following the steps I've outlined. I've got an appt setup in a few weeks at the dealership...I'd like to go there armed with a bit more info on what others are experienced.
Did you ever find out what was wrong?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2019 atlas mainly because of the price and the insane warranty because of their little inspection issues with our government. I’ve heard a grinding noise here in there my wife swear she hears it all the time it’s at the dealer today and obviously the dealer guys who really don’t do jack **** don’t hear anything. I’m an auto mechanic and you only reason she’s taking it to the dealer is because we got three free oil changes in the contract. What I can gather from what the noises most likely something inside of the transmission with the gearing. Probably since it has seven gears when you slow down or go I noticed that it does switch gears very weirdly at times. Especially if you have it in eco-mode or just normal driving mode. If you throw it into sport mode the car is another beast all in itself and I never hear that grinding noise. Personally I even checked the fluid levels everything is OK and I told my wife just to keep driving it obviously because we do have a 72,000 mile warranty. Other than that car drives like a dream and I really can’t complain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined. I just purchased an ‘18 SE and took the car in for the first time regarding this issue. I have the acceleration noise as well as the grinding noise after engine shut down. They told me the noise is normal just like everyone stated. My problem is I definitely hear a metal to metal grinding 3 to 7 seconds after the engine is turned off. It’s a “free wheel” component making contact a stationary component because it is still spinning after the engine is at a complete standstill, RPM wise. When metal engages metal and this sound happens, I’m confident there is wear or product erosion that is not planned. I did not go through all 9 pages of posts but I believe this needs to brought to VW as a consolidated complaint more so to protect us when something happens as a result of this grinding i.e. metal shavings infiltrate another component etc. I’ll link to a video of the noise shortly.

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
Just joined. I just purchased an ‘18 SE and took the car in for the first time regarding this issue. I have the acceleration noise as well as the grinding noise after engine shut down. They told me the noise is normal just like everyone stated. My problem is I definitely hear a metal to metal grinding 3 to 7 seconds after the engine is turned off. It’s a “free wheel” component making contact a stationary component because it is still spinning after the engine is at a complete standstill, RPM wise. When metal engages metal and this sound happens, I’m confident there is wear or product erosion that is not planned. I did not go through all 9 pages of posts but I believe this needs to brought to VW as a consolidated complaint more so to protect us when something happens as a result of this grinding i.e. metal shavings infiltrate another component etc. I’ll link to a video of the noise shortly.
The noise you are referring to is caused by springs within the torque converter - there is a link to a video of someone disassembling it where you can see/hear the source of the noise. I suggest you spend the time to read through this post, it won't take that long and that's why it's here. You concerns are not founded.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts