Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
So you have driven "just about every other car out there"? I rented a Nissan Pathfinder last year with a CVT - it lugged/made noise (different noise to be fair than the Atlas) like crazy in slow-speed driving b/c of the overly-eco-focused shifting of the transmission. The expectation of fuel economy on a 5K pound 3-row SUV is somewhat laughable at best. My best advice for those losing their minds over this issue - trade it in and move on. For all the things we like about our Atlas, the torque converter noise is certainly a check in the negative side of the chart. Maybe one day VW will tweak that trans shift logic program to kick it into second so nobody complains about this anymore.
Well, when shopping for vehicles, I do check out all the various options......I did not check out the Pathfinder.....that is really aging in the market....doesn't have carplay/android auto....but did look at Traverse, Acadia, Pilot, Ascent, etc.....noise not heard in those........i didn't hear the noise in the Atlas during my test drive.......if I had heard it, and was made aware it would not be able to be corrected, I for sure would not have bought it...............I work in the auto industry, so I end up driving lots of various makes and models, and this Atlas trans noise is a notable issue to me......

Aside from the trans noise issue, my 2019 has 4,000 miles on it now, and has needed the AWD transfer case replaced, the rack and pinion replaced, and repairs to drivers seat (power went out in seat), along with cat conv. recall.......the transfer case and rack and pinion both failing before 4,000 miles was a bit concerning to me....granted, all has been under warranty, but just speaks to poor quality in general on this car to me........

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree, it is what it is. I was concerned when I first joined the forum, but as long as it doesn't do any damage, I'll live with it. Actually, I rarely notice it anyone. I guess the Atlas reprogrammed my driving behavior!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i barely hear it with windows rolled up and ac going but it is definitely there if i listen for it. that said, wife is the main driver and she is totally oblivious. it doesn't bother me either and i just take it for what it is. hopefully this doesn't come back to bite in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife's 2018 Atlas has been making this noise since day one when we purchased it January 2019. As others have said, I also brought this up (along w/ the rough low gear shifts) to the dealer and too was told that this is "normal". I always just assumed this was the sound of the turbine in the torque converter starting to move around. Maybe one day there will be a recall or this thing will grenade itself (assuming something is wrong with the design).

141 - 148 of 148 Posts