Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
So you have driven "just about every other car out there"? I rented a Nissan Pathfinder last year with a CVT - it lugged/made noise (different noise to be fair than the Atlas) like crazy in slow-speed driving b/c of the overly-eco-focused shifting of the transmission. The expectation of fuel economy on a 5K pound 3-row SUV is somewhat laughable at best. My best advice for those losing their minds over this issue - trade it in and move on. For all the things we like about our Atlas, the torque converter noise is certainly a check in the negative side of the chart. Maybe one day VW will tweak that trans shift logic program to kick it into second so nobody complains about this anymore.
Well, when shopping for vehicles, I do check out all the various options......I did not check out the Pathfinder.....that is really aging in the market....doesn't have carplay/android auto....but did look at Traverse, Acadia, Pilot, Ascent, etc.....noise not heard in those........i didn't hear the noise in the Atlas during my test drive.......if I had heard it, and was made aware it would not be able to be corrected, I for sure would not have bought it...............I work in the auto industry, so I end up driving lots of various makes and models, and this Atlas trans noise is a notable issue to me......

Aside from the trans noise issue, my 2019 has 4,000 miles on it now, and has needed the AWD transfer case replaced, the rack and pinion replaced, and repairs to drivers seat (power went out in seat), along with cat conv. recall.......the transfer case and rack and pinion both failing before 4,000 miles was a bit concerning to me....granted, all has been under warranty, but just speaks to poor quality in general on this car to me........

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree, it is what it is. I was concerned when I first joined the forum, but as long as it doesn't do any damage, I'll live with it. Actually, I rarely notice it anyone. I guess the Atlas reprogrammed my driving behavior!

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
Richie, turn up the radio

Reactions: Barry T

·
Registered
59 Posts
i barely hear it with windows rolled up and ac going but it is definitely there if i listen for it. that said, wife is the main driver and she is totally oblivious. it doesn't bother me either and i just take it for what it is. hopefully this doesn't come back to bite in the future.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts

Reactions: KarstGeo

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife's 2018 Atlas has been making this noise since day one when we purchased it January 2019. As others have said, I also brought this up (along w/ the rough low gear shifts) to the dealer and too was told that this is "normal". I always just assumed this was the sound of the turbine in the torque converter starting to move around. Maybe one day there will be a recall or this thing will grenade itself (assuming something is wrong with the design).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Atlas in Oct 2019. Ididn't have a noise that's being described until about a week of driving it. It startled me when I first heard it and now it annoys me. Around March 2020, I received a recall for the ECM... I thought once they updated this, the noise would go away. It's still there. I worry too, there will be issues after warranty expires. Again, something that shouldn't be a worry when you purchase a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussed ad-nauseum here, on vwvortex, and the FB groups. Do some searching...you will find all sorts of info that will tell you nothing...not a single person has had an actual issue related to it AND no dealer that I have found through researching this issue (I have it too) has done a thing about it b/c I don't think there is anything wrong. Lots of speculation but again, zero issues but a noise that can be somewhat annoying. The tranny just needs to kick down to 2 vs. hanging in 3 which is the source of the noise and I speculate they just need a tranny re-program to sort it out. Here's a video of mine:

Noise after shut-off is related to the start/stop system and is not an issue. Search etc. will find info again, that points to no issue/they all do it/it's normal/move along.
KarstGeo — You just contradicted yourself. "There is no problem, just an annoying noise", and then stating that is is due to the tranny not downshifting into 2nd (which I totally agree with). I can almost guarantee you one of two things — this will turn into a problem over the years as the tranny strains in too high a gear, or two, VW will eventually recall the 2019 (2018?) Atlas for this torque converter issue.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
KarstGeo — You just contradicted yourself. "There is no problem, just an annoying noise", and then stating that is is due to the tranny not downshifting into 2nd (which I totally agree with). I can almost guarantee you one of two things — this will turn into a problem over the years as the tranny strains in too high a gear, or two, VW will eventually recall the 2019 (2018?) Atlas for this torque converter issue.
I am not contradicting myself. Folks here think this noise equals a mechanical problem. I will wager that we will never see mechanical issues from this. The vehicle has been out going on 4 years, and in all the time I spend on the forums/FB pages, I've never read of a failed transmission/torque converter problem. There are Atlas's with 100K on them now. The Aisin 8-speed is in lots of vehicles across many brands. It's a robust transmission but does have noise issues in several models namely the Jetta and Tiguan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi KarstGeo — Maybe we can agree to disagree. My wife and I found the driving / accelerating of the 2019 Atlas to be unbearable. Truly unbearable. See my post titled "5 months & 5K — Enough is Enough". We traded-in our Atlas after 5.5 months. I've owned 4 VWs (if you include the Atlas) with the most previous vehicle being a 1995 Passat (which we loved!!). Something is not-quite-right at VW and other hungrier companies will take advantage. If I understand correctly, the 2018 was the first model year for the Atlas (sold in mid 2017). So even thou the Atlas has been on the market for 3+ years, the 2019 was just the second iteration of the Atlas. Have good day KarstGeo!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, when shopping for vehicles, I do check out all the various options......I did not check out the Pathfinder.....that is really aging in the market....doesn't have carplay/android auto....but did look at Traverse, Acadia, Pilot, Ascent, etc.....noise not heard in those........i didn't hear the noise in the Atlas during my test drive.......if I had heard it, and was made aware it would not be able to be corrected, I for sure would not have bought it...............I work in the auto industry, so I end up driving lots of various makes and models, and this Atlas trans noise is a notable issue to me......

Aside from the trans noise issue, my 2019 has 4,000 miles on it now, and has needed the AWD transfer case replaced, the rack and pinion replaced, and repairs to drivers seat (power went out in seat), along with cat conv. recall.......the transfer case and rack and pinion both failing before 4,000 miles was a bit concerning to me....granted, all has been under warranty, but just speaks to poor quality in general on this car to me........
KarstGeo (me again :) — We did just that – traded it in. And there are options out there (at least one) that shift beautifully, have plenty of power & get very respectable gas mileage. We moved on and are very happy.

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
Hi KarstGeo — Maybe we can agree to disagree. My wife and I found the driving / accelerating of the 2019 Atlas to be unbearable. Truly unbearable. See my post titled "5 months & 5K — Enough is Enough". We traded-in our Atlas after 5.5 months. I've owned 4 VWs (if you include the Atlas) with the most previous vehicle being a 1995 Passat (which we loved!!). Something is not-quite-right at VW and other hungrier companies will take advantage. If I understand correctly, the 2018 was the first model year for the Atlas (sold in mid 2017). So even thou the Atlas has been on the market for 3+ years, the 2019 was just the second iteration of the Atlas. Have good day KarstGeo!
The Atlas has been out since 2017 and has only received a minor face life so in car generation speak, it's still the same gen for 2020 as it is for 2017 with the same drivetrain. Many have noted the choppy shifts with the Aisin 8-speed and the noise well, it's a noise. At some point, you just aren't happy with your purchase; glad you found something you like.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts