Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
2 questions for you KarstGeo — 1) I am unaware of any other car that makes this noise – intentionally, and 2) If it is just a normal noise, why is it getting worse with time?
Some other VWs are showing the same symptom. A local VW mechanic says the Jetta is coming in with this issue as well.
The Tiguan and Jetta both have similar noise concerns with the same/similar Aisin tranny. Seriously, noise and problems are not one and the same is all I'm pointing out. While it may be irritating to get some t-converter noises from low-speed/low-rpm operation, I hate to say it..."it is what it is". There just isn't any sing that these trannies are having mechanical issues. I drive ours infrequently as it is my wife's and I hear it and just don't pay attention anymore. It's so infrequent (the conditions needed to replicate - near-stop/hangs in third/1000 rpm/accelerate). There is so much info I've found/posted relative to this I'm not going to do it here - some simple searching here, the Atlas sub-forum on vwvortex.com, and the Atlas/Atlas Enthusiasts Facebook pages should be your go-to.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
This is EXACTLY what our 5 week old Atlas is doing. It drives TERRIBLY. PERIOD. VW says all is "normal", which is BS. I have VW Customer Care on speed dial, but I am just one customer trying to get the largest car company in the world to change their tune and admit there is a systemic problem with the Atlas.
Have you read through this entire thread?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Tiguan and Jetta both have similar noise concerns with the same/similar Aisin tranny. Seriously, noise and problems are not one and the same is all I'm pointing out. While it may be irritating to get some t-converter noises from low-speed/low-rpm operation, I hate to say it..."it is what it is". There just isn't any sing that these trannies are having mechanical issues. I drive ours infrequently as it is my wife's and I hear it and just don't pay attention anymore. It's so infrequent (the conditions needed to replicate - near-stop/hangs in third/1000 rpm/accelerate). There is so much info I've found/posted relative to this I'm not going to do it here - some simple searching here, the Atlas sub-forum on vwvortex.com, and the Atlas/Atlas Enthusiasts Facebook pages should be your go-to.
Thanks for the reply. What you are saying makes good sense, with the exception of the fact that — it is getting worse. If it's just an annoying noise that is due to the tranny not shifting down to 2nd (and hanging in 3rd), why is it actually getting worse? If I drive the car, it happens now on 40-50% of rolling stops. When I first noticed it, it was happening once every 2 to 3 days. Almost more of a concern for us is the erratic shifting & acceleration from 1st through 5th gear. The only way to fix it is shifting manually... so we know the hardware is theoretically okay.
I enjoy reading your posts. You are very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having a vehicle in third gear at a near-stop is "in the wrong gear" if you try to accelerate and is why the vehicle makes this noise (torque converter is where it is originating from) - it should drop to second. Can you imagine trying to take off in a manual in third gear? I realize the Atlas tranny is an 8 speed so compared to a typical 5/6 speed manual, third will be lower but still, not that low. If you put it in manual mode and drop it to second in that situation, you will not hear that noise. It's a very simple fix to the transmission shift mapping. The Atlas is not the only vehicle that does this and many modern vehicles with autos in an attempt to maximize mpgs will always try to be in the highest gear possible. I can't remember if I posted the Audi video in this thread or not that talks about this issue and the centrifugal pendulum absorbers making noise under certain conditions.
KarstGeo — quick question: this is exactly what VW Corporate just old me — the Centrifugal Pendulum is making the noise. Okay – fine. In your opinion, would having the dealer "reset" the transmission, basically erasing the cars memory, help with the rough and jerky acceleration issue?? Or do you think the jerky acceleration and the infamous noise at low speed acceleration is actually slightly different symptoms from the same source?? Thanks again for you time!! — Bob

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
KarstGeo — quick question: this is exactly what VW Corporate just old me — the Centrifugal Pendulum is making the noise. Okay – fine. In your opinion, would having the dealer "reset" the transmission, basically erasing the cars memory, help with the rough and jerky acceleration issue?? Or do you think the jerky acceleration and the infamous noise at low speed acceleration is actually slightly different symptoms from the same source?? Thanks again for you time!! — Bob
No idea - my personal opinion is that the 8-speed auto in the Atlas is not that smooth at lower speeds/gears period. Our occasionally has done some goofy stuff. On your comment above about the noise getting worse - my take? You are now aware of it is all and are actually making it happen more is really all. Ours had 8 miles on it when we got it and I noticed it on day one. It's been same ever since. You can re-create it easily by just slowing down to a near-stop, flick the shifter over to the right putting it in manual mode, the accelerate...slow down...repeat. I just don't worry about it. I've written a letter to VW about it, had it looked it, conversed with their regional quality manager, so at this point, nothing else I can do plus it's documented. Just wish they would re-program the tranny control module to just shift the stupid thing to second below 1200 rpm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree that the atlas transmission gets goofy in low gears. It is in such a hurry to get up in gears that it often shifts before it should and if you let off the gas it sometimes is in the middle of an upshift and then you get back on the gas and it tries to downshift and then upshift again in quick succession.
Honestly I can't imagine that this crazy rush to higher gears can save them significant numbers on their fuel economy. I mean, how much difference can it make in overall fuel economy to keep the thing in 2nd for an extra 2 second???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree it sounds cheap an annoying. If I wanted a car that makes noise while driving I wouldn't have bought a new car.
I was wondering if we can start a class action lawsuit for those that no longer want the car.
I have the 2019 VW Atlas and makes the exact noise and the low gear shifts are a bit rough. This should not be normal. We need to start a class action law suit. Anyone knows who would be able to represent the VW owners with this problem?

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
I have the 2019 VW Atlas and makes the exact noise and the low gear shifts are a bit rough. This should not be normal. We need to start a class action law suit. Anyone knows who would be able to represent the VW owners with this problem?
What will be your case? What exactly is wrong in your opinion? Have you read through this thread?

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
32 Posts
Lawsuits succeed based on damages. If there are no damages realized by the owner, or any operating damage to the vehicle, any lawsuit (IMO) will be wasted time, and not likely welcomed by any plaintiff law firm.

I'd suggest everyone either turn up the radio, or sell it and move on

·
Registered
4 Posts
What will be your case? What exactly is wrong in your opinion? Have you read through this thread?
I have read this thread entirely, and makes me upset everyone has found the same issue, this grinding loud noise as you accelerate, and on top of that I have rough shifting on the first few shifts at low speed mostly. I started a case with VW and brought my car to service two times (the Atlas is a 2019 with 2,500 miles). They mentioned all was normal. Really? I spent $50,000 on this car and this annoying noise is normal? And that the shifting is also normal and should adjust to my driving and become smoother in time. All seems BS to me.
A few weeks ago they told me they would remove me from this car, whatever that meant. Then it has been silence for a while, understandable due to the stay home pandemic, and yesterday I called customer service with my case number and a representative told me that the case resolution now was that they would not remove me from this car. Maybe they are pedaling backwards due to all the economic repercussions of the pandemic. I am very frustrated. Don't know what to do next really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read this thread entirely, and makes me upset everyone has found the same issue, this grinding loud noise as you accelerate, and on top of that I have rough shifting on the first few shifts at low speed mostly. I started a case with VW and brought my car to service two times (the Atlas is a 2019 with 2,500 miles). They mentioned all was normal. Really? I spent $50,000 on this car and this annoying noise is normal? And that the shifting is also normal and should adjust to my driving and become smoother in time. All seems BS to me.
A few weeks ago they told me they would remove me from this car, whatever that meant. Then it has been silence for a while, understandable due to the stay home pandemic, and yesterday I called customer service with my case number and a representative told me that the case resolution now was that they would not remove me from this car. Maybe they are pedaling backwards due to all the economic repercussions of the pandemic. I am very frustrated. Don't know what to do next really.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just noticed this noise on my "new" 18 selp 4m v6. not too noticeable with windows closed but noticeable with them open. so from reading this thread vw is calling this working as designed? i will be taking it in soon for the sunroof recall and going to report it and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
just noticed this noise on my "new" 18 selp 4m v6. not too noticeable with windows closed but noticeable with them open. so from reading this thread vw is calling this working as designed? i will be taking it in soon for the sunroof recall and going to report it and see what they say.
Yes, all the info is here to give you the info on why/what is causing this. For sure mention it to the dealer - you will hear however that it is quite normal. At least it's noted for the record. There simply isn't anything mechanical for them to fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
KarstGeo, etal.
5 months and 5000 miles in and the Atlas still drives/accelerates like absolute crap in low gears/speeds. At speeds above 45 mph, this car drives great! 1st thru 4th gears are abysmal!! We bought this car on a Thursday evening, and I left on trip the next day (with a different car). Had I been home that weekend driving the Atlas we would have absolutely taken it back to the dealer for the 72-hour-no-questions-asked Return. But that is water under the bridge. In driving the Atlas around town lately, I'm wondering if there could possibly be something else at play — could it be something like the throttle body?? In 3rd and 4th gears, it is the actual acceleration, not the shifting, that is "off". It hesitates and sputters. It also accelerates unexpectedly (with no additional pressure on the pedal) in 3rd, and sometimes 4th gear. Very, very strange. I'm going to take it back the dealer again this week (fun-fun :) I've driven the Atlas from time-to-time in manual mode, which can be fun, but is actually more nerve-wracking! I grew up driving manual cars, and I still have to override my natural inclination to shift "down" into second gear. Accidentally reved the engine to 5500 rpms twice as I shifted incorrectly! Oops. Any thoughts on the hesitating acceleration issue?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
KarstGeo, etal.
5 months and 5000 miles in and the Atlas still drives/accelerates like absolute crap in low gears/speeds. At speeds above 45 mph, this car drives great! 1st thru 4th gears are abysmal!! We bought this car on a Thursday evening, and I left on trip the next day (with a different car). Had I been home that weekend driving the Atlas we would have absolutely taken it back to the dealer for the 72-hour-no-questions-asked Return. But that is water under the bridge. In driving the Atlas around town lately, I'm wondering if there could possibly be something else at play — could it be something like the throttle body?? In 3rd and 4th gears, it is the actual acceleration, not the shifting, that is "off". It hesitates and sputters. It also accelerates unexpectedly (with no additional pressure on the pedal) in 3rd, and sometimes 4th gear. Very, very strange. I'm going to take it back the dealer again this week (fun-fun :) I've driven the Atlas from time-to-time in manual mode, which can be fun, but is actually more nerve-wracking! I grew up driving manual cars, and I still have to override my natural inclination to shift "down" into second gear. Accidentally reved the engine to 5500 rpms twice as I shifted incorrectly! Oops. Any thoughts on the hesitating acceleration issue?? Thanks.
This sounds like a whole other issue - like misfires, ignition issue, etc. Key will be to repeat it for the dealer - have the service person(s) go for a ride with you, let them drive, tell them how to repeat it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive an Atlas 3.6, 2018 model (approx 9K Miles). Since the day I've driven the car, I hear a sort of grinding noise of metal plates while suddenly accelerating on lower gears . Also I hear this grinding noise, while I switch off the engine. Anyone, with the same experience???
Yes I have a 2019 atlas and it does the exact same thing, they say its "characteristics of the car. This should be something they can fix, really disappointed in VW and will never buy or recommend a VW ever again.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Yes I have a 2019 atlas and it does the exact same thing, they say its "characteristics of the car. This should be something they can fix, really disappointed in VW and will never buy or recommend a VW ever again.
Not trying to be an jerk for sure here...but why a noise that is so limited in it's appearance during driving so upsetting to folks? I hear it every day when I turn onto my street b/c I roll the stop sign so it stays in third (and should downshift to second which would eliminate this). There isn't anything physical that VW can be change to fix it - it's a software programming issue w/r to the transmission shift map and the reason they likely will never change it is due to mpg calcs that they just can't disregard. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not trying to be an jerk for sure here...but why a noise that is so limited in it's appearance during driving so upsetting to folks? I hear it every day when I turn onto my street b/c I roll the stop sign so it stays in third (and should downshift to second which would eliminate this). There isn't anything physical that VW can be change to fix it - it's a software programming issue w/r to the transmission shift map and the reason they likely will never change it is due to mpg calcs that they just can't disregard. Just my opinion of course.
It's because just about every other car out there doesn't make this noise. It might be called "normal" for the Atlas, but it is definitely not normal for 99% of vehicles...........The tone, frequency of it just grinds on my nerves when I hear it....and i go through lots of yield signs, so this noise happens for me more often that it doesn't..........you don't pay $40K for a vehicle and have it not be better than the last car you had.......why can other cars from other brands in the competitive set as the Atlas perform without this noise?????.... and the fuel economy is still not great on the Atlas.....its not like the noise is buying us some wonderful fuel economy that blows the competition away......

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's because just about every other car out there doesn't make this noise. It might be called "normal" for the Atlas, but it is definitely not normal for 99% of vehicles...........The tone, frequency of it just grinds on my nerves when I hear it....and i go through lots of yield signs, so this noise happens for me more often that it doesn't..........you don't pay $40K for a vehicle and have it not be better than the last car you had.......why can other cars from other brands in the competitive set as the Atlas perform without this noise?????.... and the fuel economy is still not great on the Atlas.....its not like the noise is buying us some wonderful fuel economy that blows the competition away......

On a side note, I work in the auto industry in metro detroit......i have worked at various suppliers, and at 1 OEM.........when launching a new vehicle, I have seen issues far smaller than this noise as reason to deem parts or the vehicle "unacceptable to launch".......it just blows me away that VW would launch with this issue........

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
So you have driven "just about every other car out there"? I rented a Nissan Pathfinder last year with a CVT - it lugged/made noise (different noise to be fair than the Atlas) like crazy in slow-speed driving b/c of the overly-eco-focused shifting of the transmission. The expectation of fuel economy on a 5K pound 3-row SUV is somewhat laughable at best. My best advice for those losing their minds over this issue - trade it in and move on. For all the things we like about our Atlas, the torque converter noise is certainly a check in the negative side of the chart. Maybe one day VW will tweak that trans shift logic program to kick it into second so nobody complains about this anymore.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts