Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Thanks Mikecnz. To be clear, does the noise stop as soon as you move it to manual? When you shift to manual - you’re still in 3rd gear so the noise theoretically should continue.. you would think. I’ll try it next time I drive it.
KarstGeo - response from VW yet?
My response from VW was as anticipated, normal. I'm good with it b/c I've said many times here/other places, it's a noise that I can understand and not a sign of a problem. I wanted it noted for the record.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Car back from dealer. VW Field Rep was sent from VW corporate to test drive vehicle as well.....status is still the same as 1st dealer visit .....they say its normal for the Atlas.....they stated the transmission has many technological advancements, and this noise is just a characteristic of it due to moving plates inside the transmission/torque converter......

I have asked the Case manager at VW who is assigned to my case if they will buy back the vehicle since they are not able to fix, awaiting response.

Other vehicles that I had considered when shopping did not make this type of noise, and I regret this purchase over this noise.......it irritates me every single time I drive the car......it will likely affect resale, as any potential buyer would hear it on the test drive and think there is an issue......
They are not going to buy back a vehicle that doesn't have a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ideally.. VW should send all owners a bulletin stating they’re aware of the noise, an explanation of what causes the noise, that it’s normal, and that it will not result in any additional wear in the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are not going to buy back a vehicle that doesn't have a mechanical issue.
Well, I would prefer for VW to come up with a fix for the problem, vs. a buyback, but if they are unable/unwilling to make a fix, at least I am trying for a remedy......maybe the noise is not detrimental to the durability of the transmission, but there is no way that this noise should have been allowed to launch on this vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ideally.. VW should send all owners a bulletin stating they’re aware of the noise, an explanation of what causes the noise, that it’s normal, and that it will not result in any additional wear in the transmission.
I think we are all so concentrated on the noise that we forget that the issue is not only the noise but there is a safety aspect to it as well. The car in the near-stop position and being in 3rd gear is unable to accelerate with proper speed as someone would expect from a car to do.

I have been in a lot of situation were the car is near stop and I am trying accelerate to pass a car or move from an upcoming traffic and the car is really struggling in 3rd gear. I switch between my car (VW ATLAS AWD Premium 2019) and wife’s car (Chevy Malibu) and my sister car (Chevy Traverse). In my car I really feel disabled in those situations and it’s frustrating to push on the pedal to try to get the car moving in a gear that is not supposed to be.

This reminds me of the days when people with too little experience were driving manual cars and we would always tell them you are in the wrong shift, shift down! Don’t just push on the gas pedal, the car is not moving and your gas pedal noise is excessive! Shift Down!

Now back in 2020 we are driving one of the VW’s most expensive cars and somebody observing from outside would think that we are some rooky driving a manual car in wrong gear at intersections….I have never felt an issue like this with any other car in my life. (That includes Toyota Camry/Corolla, BMW 3/ 5 series/x5, Chevy Malibu/Traverse/Impala, Honda accord/civic/pilot, MDB ML/E class….not including any other rental car I have had….)

I think as part of raising concern about the noise we should also all remember to mention the acceleration issue in those situation that could put the driver in a dangerous situation where the car is unable to accelerate with a proper speed as it is expected. Because the car is in the wrong gear!

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
100% - that's what I would do but I'm sure someone has done the math to say doing that will just cause more drama than it will solve.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
I think we are all so concentrated on the noise that we forget that the issue is not only the noise but there is a safety aspect to it as well. The car in the near-stop position and being in 3rd gear is unable to accelerate with proper speed as someone would expect from a car to do.

I have been in a lot of situation were the car is near stop and I am trying accelerate to pass a car or move from an upcoming traffic and the car is really struggling in 3rd gear. I switch between my car (VW ATLAS AWD Premium 2019) and wife’s car (Chevy Malibu) and my sister car (Chevy Traverse). In my car I really feel disabled in those situations and it’s frustrating to push on the pedal to try to get the car moving in a gear that is not supposed to be.

This reminds me of the days when people with too little experience were driving manual cars and we would always tell them you are in the wrong shift, shift down! Don’t just push on the gas pedal, the car is not moving and your gas pedal noise is excessive! Shift Down!

Now back in 2020 we are driving one of the VW’s most expensive cars and somebody observing from outside would think that we are some rooky driving a manual car in wrong gear at intersections….I have never felt an issue like this with any other car in my life. (That includes Toyota Camry/Corolla, BMW 3/ 5 series/x5, Chevy Malibu/Traverse/Impala, Honda accord/civic/pilot, MDB ML/E class….not including any other rental car I have had….)

I think as part of raising concern about the noise we should also all remember to mention the acceleration issue in those situation that could put the driver in a dangerous situation where the car is unable to accelerate with a proper speed as it is expected. Because the car is in the wrong gear!
If you step on the gas hard in that situation, it WILL down shift to 1/2 if necessary - there is no safety issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you step on the gas hard in that situation, it WILL down shift to 1/2 if necessary - there is no safety issue.
You are losing time when trying to force the car to go to the right gear by stepping on the “gas hard”. The car’s acceleration is in limbo for few seconds before finding the right gear.When you need it then that means you need it then. These are things that we shouldn’t even think about when driving? This characteristic of the car makes you think every time you slowdown. Would it go if I accelerate now? Would it linger? Should I step hard? Or it’s already in gear 1. should I stop hard before accelerating?
In my 30 years of driving I never had to think about these...So you are saying that is normal Safe driving ? first of all this takes away the concentration that you need ...second of all You are saying you have never been in a situation In this car that you needed the car to accelerate immediately rather than waiting for it to find the right gear that it is suppose to be in the first place ? you keep taking about the noise And ignoring the noise. Nobody talks about the consequences of struggling with this issue during driving....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't think the noise has anything to do with what you are talking about though. I know what you mean about the hesitation but I find that can happen irrespective of the noise being present. The noise is related to a very specific situation (3rd gear low speed specific rpm) and the hesitation can happen at many different points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think the noise has anything to do with what you are talking about though. I know what you mean about the hesitation but I find that can happen irrespective of the noise being present. The noise is related to a very specific situation (3rd gear low speed specific rpm) and the hesitation can happen at many different points.
When the car is in near stop and it is 3rd gear then pushing on the gas peddle will generate that noise untill the car changes shifts and finds the right shift that it was suppsoe to be in the first place and then the noise goes away....that happens to me on daily basis for every near stop that I make...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had no issues in 2 years getting the Atlas going from a stop.
Nobody is talking about getting the car going from stop. These are all near stop situations. If you are referencing a specific post please reply to that post. Otherwise the last few posts don’t talk about accerating from stop it’s near stop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nobody is talking about getting the car going from stop. These are all near stop situations. If you are referencing a specific post please reply to that post. Otherwise the last few posts don’t talk about accerating from stop it’s near stop.
I was. I only get the grinding sound accelerating from a stop. And I don't attribute it to being in the wrong gear. Rather I think it is just a matter of being in a certain gear at a certain rpm. Not necessarily the wrong gear.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
I haven't had an issue getting going from a near-stop either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As expected, VW advised they would not buy back my car for this noise, as it is deemed "a normal characteristic of the vehicle at this time"........we can only hope they get enough complaints to come up with a fix that we can get retroactively....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't had an issue getting going from a near-stop either.
So car being in wrong gear and making noise and forcing you to press hard on the gas to force the car to go the right gear is not an issue for you? Then what is ?

CrestGeo I have seen a lot of your post in this forum; specially on this thread. I am not sure what is your intention of defending an obvious flaw in the car. The car has an issue and everybody knows it. I know you are going to say that there is no mechanical issue it’s mapping issue. You are going to say this is not going to hurt the trany and stuff like that....but please don’t try to discourage people from raising their concern in this forum... you can call it non mechanical... it’s by design.... it’s just mapping... but at the end of the day it’s an issue from driver’s perspective.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussed ad-nauseum here, on vwvortex, and the FB groups. Do some searching...you will find all sorts of info that will tell you nothing...not a single person has had an actual issue related to it AND no dealer that I have found through researching this issue (I have it too) has done a thing about it b/c I don't think there is anything wrong. Lots of speculation but again, zero issues but a noise that can be somewhat annoying. The tranny just needs to kick down to 2 vs. hanging in 3 which is the source of the noise and I speculate they just need a tranny re-program to sort it out. Here's a video of mine:

Noise after shut-off is related to the start/stop system and is not an issue. Search etc. will find info again, that points to no issue/they all do it/it's normal/move along.
Is this thing with the transmission bad? will it ruin the transmission

·
Registered
153 Posts
So car being in wrong gear and making noise and forcing you to press hard on the gas to force the car to go the right gear is not an issue for you? Then what is ?

CrestGeo I have seen a lot of your post in this forum; specially on this thread. I am not sure what is your intention of defending an obvious flaw in the car. The car has an issue and everybody knows it. I know you are going to say that there is no mechanical issue it’s mapping issue. You are going to say this is not going to hurt the trany and stuff like that....but please don’t try to discourage people from raising their concern in this forum... you can call it non mechanical... it’s by design.... it’s just mapping... but at the end of the day it’s an issue from driver’s perspective.....
Again, the noise is NOT from the car being in the wrong gear. It is a noise the transmission makes under specific circumstances...3rd gear at a certain rpm.
Is it really annoying? Yes.
Should VW have sold a car that makes this sound? I wouldn't.
Is it bad for the car / should we worry about it mechanically? Not according to VW. And they have to warranty it for at least 6 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Again, the noise is NOT from the car being in the wrong gear. It is a noise the transmission makes under specific circumstances...3rd gear at a certain rpm.
Is it really annoying? Yes.
Should VW have sold a car that makes this sound? I wouldn't.
Is it bad for the car / should we worry about it mechanically? Not according to VW. And they have to warranty it for at least 6 years.
because the car is not supposed to be in that gear in that speed/rpm...all that causes the noise... but as i said before it's not just the noise.. the car is not moving/accelerating as it should; because of being in 3rd gear in that speed...

·
Registered
153 Posts
because the car is not supposed to be in that gear in that speed/rpm...all that causes the noise... but as i said before it's not just the noise.. the car is not moving/accelerating as it should; because of being in 3rd gear in that speed...
I haven't heard anyone else claiming the atlas is in the wrong gear at that point. You seem to have yourself convinced that it's in the wrong gear and I disagree so I'm not going to waste any more time arguing opinions. Maybe when it's warm again I will open my windows and put some more time into observing it.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts