Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Atlas SE/tech RLine. I had the dealer install a trailer hitch receiver and wiring kit. They got that installed along with the 4 pole wiring kit. We bought a camper so I wanted to switch to a 7 pin plug so that I could tow that. I had the 7 pin installed using the original 4 wires plus a 12v wire running from the battery. For a brake controller I’m using the Curt wireless Bluetooth brake controller. That connects fine, shows solid green when the trailer is hooked up.

My problem is that the trailer brake lights never light up. Turn signals work fine on the trailer, running lights are fine too, but nothing happens when I hit the brakes. This is regardless of whether the brake controller is hooked up or if the trailer is directly connected to the plug. If the brake controller is hooked up it doesn’t show any indication that the brakes have been pressed. What am I missing here? Does the 7 pin brake wire need to be connected somewhere? Because aside from the reverse light wire on the 7 pin, that’s the only thing not connected. I verified that the rest of the wiring appears to be correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2018 Atlas SE/tech RLine. I had the dealer install a trailer hitch receiver and wiring kit. They got that installed along with the 4 pole wiring kit. We bought a camper so I wanted to switch to a 7 pin plug so that I could tow that. I had the 7 pin installed using the original 4 wires plus a 12v wire running from the battery. For a brake controller I’m using the Curt wireless Bluetooth brake controller. That connects fine, shows solid green when the trailer is hooked up.

My problem is that the trailer brake lights never light up. Turn signals work fine on the trailer, running lights are fine too, but nothing happens when I hit the brakes. This is regardless of whether the brake controller is hooked up or if the trailer is directly connected to the plug. If the brake controller is hooked up it doesn’t show any indication that the brakes have been pressed. What am I missing here? Does the 7 pin brake wire need to be connected somewhere? Because aside from the reverse light wire on the 7 pin, that’s the only thing not connected. I verified that the rest of the wiring appears to be correct.
Ok so I managed to figure this out. I picked up a Bluetooth Veepeak obdc scanner and used the Car Scanner app to recode the trailer long code settings based on this thread here. After the coding my brake lights work, blinkers work, brake controller works, and life is good again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts