Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on 12/28/18, i brought home my first ever VW. I traded in our 2011 escalade esv with 137k miles. That was our second ESV in a row as we have a family of 6 so we enjoyed the cargo space. However, I HATED the amount of money I spent on that car in maintenance and repairs.

We ultimately agreed we wanted a mid size suv and narrowed it down to the explorer and atlas. we also looked at the highlander and pilot but they have no room in the third row. we went with a 2019 atlas SE RLine w/ Tech and AWD, in grey. We chose the atlas based on the comfort of all 3 rows, ride quality, low cabin noise, and the warranty.

However, after 1800 miles its waiting to go into service. It should have been there 2 days ago but I have been waiting on them to get a loaner car available. So far service has been a joke. The back hatch opens and closes on its own, apple car play glitches out, the rear camera stays on about 50% of the time, and the never installed the 3m door protection that I was forced to have because it was added on every car on the lot.

The only manufacturer complaint i have is that the car is extremely under powered and the 3rd row headrests are the worst design i have ever seen. we just took them out because it is impossible to sit comfortably with them in place.

All in all we are pleased with the car but want the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
on 12/28/18, i brought home my first ever VW. I traded in our 2011 escalade esv with 137k miles. That was our second ESV in a row as we have a family of 6 so we enjoyed the cargo space. However, I HATED the amount of money I spent on that car in maintenance and repairs.

We ultimately agreed we wanted a mid size suv and narrowed it down to the explorer and atlas. we also looked at the highlander and pilot but they have no room in the third row. we went with a 2019 atlas SE RLine w/ Tech and AWD, in grey. We chose the atlas based on the comfort of all 3 rows, ride quality, low cabin noise, and the warranty.

However, after 1800 miles its waiting to go into service. It should have been there 2 days ago but I have been waiting on them to get a loaner car available. So far service has been a joke. The back hatch opens and closes on its own, apple car play glitches out, the rear camera stays on about 50% of the time, and the never installed the 3m door protection that I was forced to have because it was added on every car on the lot.

The only manufacturer complaint i have is that the car is extremely under powered and the 3rd row headrests are the worst design i have ever seen. we just took them out because it is impossible to sit comfortably with them in place.

All in all we are pleased with the car but want the bugs worked out.
Congrats. LOL. My final 2 choices were exact as you and the other SUV's I looked at are the same which in all honesty I believe they look like a mini van being disguised as an SUV.

So far it has been a trouble free 3 months of ownership.

Those glitches will be cleared and you will get to enjoy it a lot more. Are for those 3M door protection dealer installed or came from the factory? I know so many of those they put extras and they make some good money on them. My prior car was a Nissan Murano and the dealer automatically
installs strips matching color door edge guards and wheel well area. I said I did not want them especially since they did not have them on so I was not charged for such. 2 days later the sale man called me and asked to drop by and I did and he said he wants to put them on and it is a gift from them. Now I am thinking about the door edge guards (which I have ordered and used on my 2018 CX9 (my overseas car) and will order them for my Atlas (around $20 and they are really functional and can be barely seen. I am also going to get the clear 3M to install on the pain exposed areas of the car door sill area.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to forum. Unfortunate that you have already started to run into some issues and I hope that your dealer is able to alleviate some of the concerns. There some owners who have gone with custom tunes to increase performance, but I don't know if its worth the risk of voiding your warranty.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome!

I also come from some bigger SUV's, the Lexus LX and Nissan Armada being a couple of them and its been hard to accept the Atlas since its a bit down segment.
Hopefully your continuous feedback will help sway me into getting one but i'm not in any rush.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome. I can tell you that now I had it for 3 months and so far I have Zero regrets. Yes you have had two larger SUVs but when moving over you have to set what is it that you expect from your new one. I love the Lexus but despise the Armada. Right now both need to be badly updated to fit with the rest of the luxury market as the price of either puts in that category. May I suggest is that you rent an Atlas for a couple of days and see how you and your family feels about it. Yes the gas mileage on the Atals is not up there but it sure is better than those 2. Form what you have had the other types would look like a minivan as compared and that is what drove me to the Atlas. My second choice was the Explorer but thankfully I went with the Atlas as I failed to see the crash tests on the explorer which were awful and to me the safety of my family is the top priority. The Atlas is not a racer but to me the power is just right and has served me well. Good luck in making your choice and for sure take your time to get what best serves you and your needs

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congrats. LOL. My final 2 choices were exact as you and the other SUV's I looked at are the same which in all honesty I believe they look like a mini van being disguised as an SUV.

So far it has been a trouble free 3 months of ownership.

Those glitches will be cleared and you will get to enjoy it a lot more. Are for those 3M door protection dealer installed or came from the factory? I know so many of those they put extras and they make some good money on them. My prior car was a Nissan Murano and the dealer automatically
installs strips matching color door edge guards and wheel well area. I said I did not want them especially since they did not have them on so I was not charged for such. 2 days later the sale man called me and asked to drop by and I did and he said he wants to put them on and it is a gift from them. Now I am thinking about the door edge guards (which I have ordered and used on my 2018 CX9 (my overseas car) and will order them for my Atlas (around $20 and they are really functional and can be barely seen. I am also going to get the clear 3M to install on the pain exposed areas of the car door sill area.
My dealer was insane with the extras and doc fees. They added the 3M strips( which were not on there - $299), ext/interior protection ( $800), and tint ($300). The doc fee was $800 and they wanted like $300 for the DMV fees. All which was pretty much comped after negotiations.

Welcome!

I also come from some bigger SUV's, the Lexus LX and Nissan Armada being a couple of them and its been hard to accept the Atlas since its a bit down segment.
Hopefully your continuous feedback will help sway me into getting one but i'm not in any rush.
The interior space minus the back cargo is much more comfortable and larger than the escalade ESVs we owned. Full grown adults or teens can sit comfortable in the second and third row. We wouldn't even consider the full size SUV options like explorer, tahoe, etc... because of the interior space of the atlas was just as roomy and the atlas drove better, was easier to park, better turning radius, handled better, etc... We will never go back to a large SUV as long as this atlas proves to be a good trouble free option.

I love the rental idea for the poster above. The atlas is a lot of car and warranty( best overall value IMO) for the money. If considering the Q7, it isn't even comparable for the value even if the third row was useful.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to forum. Unfortunate that you have already started to run into some issues and I hope that your dealer is able to alleviate some of the concerns. There some owners who have gone with custom tunes to increase performance, but I don't know if its worth the risk of voiding your warranty.
I should close the loop on the "glitches" here. I will be honest here and say that VW service was actually great and spent time actually showing how and why things work the way they do. My sales guy was pretty new and it was late so the walk around was pretty worthless.

The back tailgate opening and closing on its own was 100% my wife not letting it fully close before taking off. She also realized she has to hold the button down until its finished closing. No issue there but the truck is extremely sensitive

apple car play- they said we should not use third party apple cords because they dont convert the correct amount of power. Also, your iphone has to be on a certain sw level. Apple sw upgrades are really starting to frustrate me with the issues they cause.

The backup camera staying on is supposedly normal for up to 30 seconds. seems a bit long but ill take their word for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I should close the loop on the "glitches" here. I will be honest here and say that VW service was actually great and spent time actually showing how and why things work the way they do. My sales guy was pretty new and it was late so the walk around was pretty worthless.

The back tailgate opening and closing on its own was 100% my wife not letting it fully close before taking off. She also realized she has to hold the button down until its finished closing. No issue there but the truck is extremely sensitive

apple car play- they said we should not use third party apple cords because they dont convert the correct amount of power. Also, your iphone has to be on a certain sw level. Apple sw upgrades are really starting to frustrate me with the issues they cause.

The backup camera staying on is supposedly normal for up to 30 seconds. seems a bit long but ill take their word for it.
The backup camera actually stays on until you reach a speed of about 10 MPH. This is not just a VW thing but many other manufacturers have that work that way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The interior space minus the back cargo is much more comfortable and larger than the escalade ESVs we owned. Full grown adults or teens can sit comfortable in the second and third row. We wouldn't even consider the full size SUV options like explorer, tahoe, etc... because of the interior space of the atlas was just as roomy and the atlas drove better, was easier to park, better turning radius, handled better, etc... We will never go back to a large SUV as long as this atlas proves to be a good trouble free option.

I love the rental idea for the poster above. The atlas is a lot of car and warranty( best overall value IMO) for the money. If considering the Q7, it isn't even comparable for the value even if the third row was useful.
Wow, well you can't really beat that then, just about everything you could want from a larger SUV without the terrible gas mileage to go with it.
If you ever see a need for more cargo carrying capacity and get a roof top carrier or hitch box, do keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's important to make sure that the Apple / Lightning Cable is MFi Certified as this should avoid compatibility issues. I'm hoping that VW continues to stay up-to-date with Apple Carplay. My 2015 Acura TLX didn't come with Apply Carplay but still has "Pandora" built-in that works through my iphone. It's crazy glitchy and hardly works as they have basically ditched any future support for the software since switching to Apple CarPlay in 2017.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts