Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

My first vehicle was a Used Audi A4 (2001)/ had 282k miles on it. After it broke down I traded it in for a Volkswagen GTI which I loved but I was expecting at the time so I had to get in a bigger vehicle so I moved to a new Ford Fusion and absolutely hated my new Ford. I liked the interior but the car felt "cheap" and had problems with breaking down every 100 miles that I had to file warranties on(had to file 5 warranty claims in the first year of owning it). Finally, this year the warranty expired and I wasn't about to shove out more money on this vehicle. I went to volkswagen and they had a hard time finding anything in my price range. We kept going back and forth months before I found a small volkswagen dealership in the middle of nowhere that had an 2018 Atlas SE with Tech + 4 Motion (23k miles) for 24k. I jumped on it right away and traded in the fusion and drove the atlas off the lot that same day.

So far loving the vehicle.. Haven't driven in a more quiet or smooth ride ever.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
17 Posts
Welcome @AusKee. Are you planning to do any typical first thing like paint protection film?
Does anyone have a nice list of sensible typical first things to do after purchase? I don't even want to drive mine because it's soo clean haha! I do have the middle row seat protector and windshield sun visor waiting to be picked up from my local VW.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Change the interior bulbs to LED's. You need CANBUS bulbs or your car's computer will throw a code, the lights will flicker (hyperflash) or stay lit for a few seconds after you close the doors. I bought mine through superbrightleds.com. So far, no complaints. Others have used deautoleds.com, amazon, ebay, etc.. Deautoleds.com put together a kit for interior bulbs, but cost a little more. Also, I put a screen protector on my infotainment screen. And, if you plan on towing, you might need to change the blank on the rear for a plug in for trailer lights, if not already done..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Already have the screen protector on order, those finger print smudges are driving me crazy. I did look into the deautoled fog light conversions but not sure if I'm going to get them yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
@SAL84x paint protection is top priority.
So much that some people get their new car detailed right after taking delivery.

There are other things you can do but they can wait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@SAL84x paint protection is top priority.
So much that some people get their new car detailed right after taking delivery.

There are other things you can do but they can wait.
The ceramic coating? I'm definitely looking into it, I was just driving on a highway and me and 5, or 6 other cars got pelted to **** by something. Still pretty upset about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ceramic coatings last 6 to 18 months. They are costly to have done and sometimes done badly. I use a glaze on my cars. In particular, I am using a product called Wet Paint. Easy to apply and keeps the paint clean and provides decent protection. I can do my car in less than an hour.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ceramic coatings last 6 to 18 months. They are costly to have done and sometimes done badly. I use a glaze on my cars. In particular, I am using a product called Wet Paint. Easy to apply and keeps the paint clean and provides decent protection. I can do my car in less than an hour.
Thanks for the information, going to have to look into it, what products do you use to keep the interior looking new?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I really haven't found a good interior product. I am using Meguiars professional cleaner spray and not using anything to top coat. I don't have leather seats, just M-Tex. I would not use anything that adds a shine to the interior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For other cars I've usually just purchased whatever shiny stuff I found at the store. Is there a personal reason you guys avoid those shiny type products or ?

Where do you buy that Wet Paint product? Couldn't seem to pull it up on amazon.

I was looking at VW's Official product line up regarding washes, cleaners and the like but didn't really check into it too much yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Strictly personal. I just do not like that "Armour All shine".
A lot of that stuff is just trim dressing and does not really actually clean anything...just makes it "look" clean by making it shiny.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
A lot of that stuff is just trim dressing and does not really actually clean anything...just makes it "look" clean by making it GREASY.
FIFY

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
haha yeah you're probably right, a greasy dirt ridden shine lol

A lot of that stuff is just trim dressing and does not really actually clean anything...just makes it "look" clean by making it shiny.

·
Registered
63 Posts
haha yeah you're probably right, a greasy dirt ridden shine lol
Lol seriously though. However I'm sure there are some that actually do clean and still leave that shine if that is something you are looking for.
Or you could always just use something like I use and then hit it with the shine afterwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lol seriously though. However I'm sure there are some that actually do clean and still leave that shine if that is something you are looking for.
Or you could always just use something like I use and then hit it with the shine afterwards.
Thanks for the Griots recommendation, probably going to be ordering some interior and exterior products from them, they really do seem to be top notch...

Do you use the interior cleaner on your seats? I have the leatherette material seating, griots sells 2 leather products so I was thinking it would be better off using each specific product for each application. Figured it could keep them newer looking for longer, any experience using them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the Griots recommendation, probably going to be ordering some interior and exterior products from them, they really do seem to be top notch...

Do you use the interior cleaner on your seats? I have the leatherette material seating, griots sells 2 leather products so I was thinking it would be better off using each specific product for each application. Figured it could keep them newer looking for longer, any experience using them?
Honestly I just use the one that I posted a picture of.
I originally bought it for my GTI which has cloth interior. But I have used it to clean the seats in the Atlas (we have an SE w/ tech as well so it has the leatherette).
Leatherette is much more "durable" than real leather. It holds up better to dirt and oils, so you do not have to condition leatherette like you would regular leather seats.
However they can age the same if not taken care of. Like real leather, leatherette can crack, so It probably would not hurt to find a product to possibly help prevent that.
But from what I understand, the potential cracking of leatherette is more so because of UV rays baking your seats over time, rather than them not being properly maintained.
Even if you did nothing to clean your seats they should last a long time regardless. A sunshade will probably help just as much as any cleaning/conditioning product.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great point.

A cost-benefit analysis is definitely needed before deciding on any one of the many paint protection options we have. The most cost effective option I know of is to get a clear bar and stay on top of waxing. Then inbetween waxing, proper washing techniques.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts