Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021.5 SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Atlas owners. Just joined your ranks.

I drove a 2016 Mercedes Metris from new. It was a great van - snappy driving, full suite of safety and assist features, incredible cargo space for relatively small exterior dimensions.

But it was RWD. I go to the snowy mountains a lot, so had winter tires and borrowed wife's little X3 on bad days. But no solution for when we want to move through snow with family of 3 and 2 large dogs. I got tired of worrying about what the Metris could handle.

Looked long and hard at the new Toyota Sienna AWD minivan. Insane fuel economy and great interior space. But so ugly, functional but not excellent AWD, pricey new and not really worth buying used as resale is so strong.

Full size SUV just too big for where I live in the middle of the city. Atlas though has great interior room, nice looking, and I absolutely LOVE a spare, Teutonic interior. Sat in the Kia Telluride - great vehicle but awful styling and faux rich interior that seems like it's marketed at people who buy fake Louis Vuitton hand bags. I don't buy Louis Vuitton anything. I like an interior that says this is a good car, not a comped suite at the 3rd best hotel in Atlantic City.

Metris pulled reasonable trade value, and Atlas was on deep discount at 32k, so swapped out of 5 years old 42k miles to brand new for less than the cost of a 4 year lease.

Reliability worries me. No way around it - Atlas is objectively bottom of the barrel in this regard, from a company with a bad track record. But given the low price relative to trade, I'm telling myself that it's a car I can sell as the warranty runs out or if it has been or feels like it will be a problem.

One little thing I like about it is that it doesn't have carpet coating everything like so many cars. I have dogs. The Honda Pilot for instance seems to have stopped carpeting surfaces just short of the ceiling. That car would be permanently embedded with dog hair in 6 months. I love the amount of room behind the second seat. It drive really nicely for it's size and segment. And it's remarkable how much comes with the SE package for 32k. Downgrading in features from the Metris (which cost more) but Atlas blows away the competition in what you get for the money.

So happy for the moment at least. No car's perfect, but for right now the Atlas seems to fit the bill.

Hank

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SE w/Tech & 2014 VW Jetta SEL w/Fender Audio
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats! (y)

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
36 Posts
Welcome and hey now, I've had some fun in those seedy Atlantic city suites :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts