Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 SEL premium 4 motion Atlas.. have had nothing but problems at just 5000 miles. Loosing antifreeze and had in the service dept four times to be fixed. The second time it was in there almost 2 weeks. Had to cylinder head and head gasket. Still loosing antifreeze. Had in in the service dept the 4th time yesterday and they said it was normal and didn't do one thing to it! I don't understand how? We have nothing leaking out on the ground, so where is it going? That's not normal and Volkswagen headquarters which I have talked to numerous times is no help whatsoever. I am afraid to drive the car because I am afraid it will just quit on me. On the tank that holds the antifreeze they marked where it was yesterday for us to keep track of and have checked it 4 times and it is down past the mark where they marked with a permanent marker which is very close to the minimum line. This is the second Atlas I have had. The first had AC problems and it was in the shop around 6 times for thatnans it started at 3000 miles Volkswagen offered me 10 percent off of another vehicle but it had to be a Volkswagen. Not going to work with me this time. I have tried it there way the first time this time I am going with the lemon law. Good luck if you own an Altas. I hope you don't have the problems in have had.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have noticed a number of members who have experienced coolant loss on here...saw a thread earlier today. I hope VW figures out what this is. I will also be watching my coolant closely.

In the past life (other VW's not Atlas, but the 3.6) I have heard of a few new motors having a casting defects that resulted in water being burned (obviously this was a new engine on VW's bill). Have they found coolant in your oil? Is the underside of your oil cap frothy?

The 3.6 is a very good motor, but obviously defects can happen to all motors in some percentage.

Good luck, and again sorry to hear the news. Do keep us posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, here's what you do.

Just drive it.

Seriously..

They know of your issue and if it blows the engine then it's their fault for not fixing it.

Take off the engine oil cap and if there's a bunch of brownish milky stuff on the underside of the cap then it's going into your oil (unless it's really cold out and then that's just condensation from the engine cooling off inside). If there's nothing or just a smidge of a trace there then it's fine. Coolant in the oil lowers the lubrication properties of the oil and can do bad things, so if it's not going into the oil then it's getting burned or discharged from an overflow somewhere.

Also, some vehicles self level the antifreeze and you can keep topping it off and it will keep going down, BUUUT if there's no issue it will settle down and stay at the lower level. First encountered at skidoo snowmobile dealer I worked at. I also own one and if I fill it up full it will leak out after heating up and when it cools down again it's nearer to the minimum mark. Once there it's happy as a clam as the coolant has room to expand without going out the overflow now.

I know that's a snowmobile.

My 2012 jetta tdi is the same. It WILL NOT stay anywhere near the max, in fact it's happy right at the minimum line or a hair under and has been that way for around 90,000 miles. The only time I noticed was when it was around zero and I started it, the coolant was slightly low (dash light came on) as it was so cold out but after running it for a few minutes and then doing a restart the light went out. I did add a splash after a few days of that weather as I keep a little premix in the trunk spare tire area just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where would the antifreeze go if it isn't on the ground? The Corporate person that has been talking to me told me if I drive it knowing it has a problem I will void the warranty? I didn't drive the car for about 9 days and after it was in the shop 2 days ago and didn't do anything but put a marker where the antifreeze was when we left the shop. The the man at corporate told me he didn't tell me not to drive it. That's when I got upset. He DID tell me that and I am so glad a neighbor was hear and heard him tell me NOT TO DRIVE IT. I can't stand to be lied to! The picture below is about 30 miles of driving with the engine warm!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you blow the picture up you can see the mark and then you can see how much it has dropped?! I am afraid to drive car. I sure don't want to be in an accident because of their stupidity. Sad that I can't get passed 5000 miles on a new car. And the 1st Atlas was only 3000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you need to start recording your conversations with your phone if it is legal in your state.. amazing how they don't take your word for the problem. I would clearly put all in writing and send a certified letter to the dealer placing them on notice. Better to be safe than sorry like oh we didn't know etc. Certified letters to all concerned work wonders .. good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
As stated above, antifreeze can be burned, mixed with you oil, or evaporate from the overflow tank cap pressure regulator. There are also hose leaks that are pinpoint and just enough for a vapor to escape. All said, I would drive it and watch to see if it continues down to the point you see it at the bottom of the overflow... if it makes it down there take it back in, however chances are also that it could even out and stop dropping as stated above, this "self regulating" is due to the overfill cap, which does allow vapor of a certain pressure to escape. Sometimes these caps either go bad or I suppose, could be factory defective.

I own two other VW's (Touaregs) that always read low coolant...a few days after topping off or a year after topping off (same level). For whatever reason, the "minimum" mark on them is too high and if I fill to there it just evaporates. I have no idea why they were designed this way, but I have over 200k miles between them, and they have never overheated. Not even towing our travel trailer in 100 degree heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't listen to your neighbor.

Drive it and see if it goes way below the minimum or if it stops dropping at a certain point.

Like I said, you're not going to cause an accident, even if the vehicle starts to sound really bad, you're going to have time to pull over. Then as vw said there's nothing wrong with it, it's their fault.

There is a warning chime and light if your coolant gets a bit below the minimum mark.

If there's nothing under the oil cap then it's getting pissed out somewhere as you drive and you won't see a puddle as it's spread all along the road in little drips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
3 months ago I checked the reservoir and it was at min. When I was close by the dealer I passed by them and they filled it up. They did say they are coming lower from the factory and by the time things settle and driving a while it ends up showing lower. They filled it up and has been on that same level. My test time is always the next day before any use so at least I make sure I am doing the same exact procedure to check the level. So for now I will check but a lot less may be once a month or even 2. Regardless, in every car I had, I always used to check the levels around the 1 month or 2 month time periods. it is a good habit as one never knows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone tell me if it is normal, then why didn't he do all that work to my motor when I took it in for the same thing? The antifreeze level was exactly as it is now and they did almost 10000.00 worth of work and now that it's doing the same thing and it's normal.? To me it has the same problem because it's doing the exact same thing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you meant *did* all that work?

They replaced the head gasket because corporate ordered it done as someone thought it could be burning coolant and wanted to see if replacing the head gasket would stop it. Also note that this engine only has one head despite being a "V" 6 as it is actually a variable in-line or VR6.

Dealer should have done a dye test with UV light, a pressure test, and a oil test for coolant (oil analysis), and a coolant test for exhaust hydrocarbons. These tests would have shown if there was 1) a pine hole leak, 2) coolant mixing with oil, or 2) coolant getting into the combustion chamber and being burned off.

For now just keep an eye and it and drive. Sorry you have had this experience. Good dealers are worth a lot when it comes to these problems.

But they probably just put a new head gasket on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What prize do you have??? Six months ago I paid over $50,000.00 for a 2018
Volkswagen SEL premium AWD. It has been nothing but trouble. To date, under warranty of course,
Volkswagen has replaced the Radiator/condenser fan module, cylinder head gasket (s) ...Cylinder head... intake manifold gasket(s) . All because of a head bolt torque issue from the manufacturer. The breakaway torque ranged from 65 to 105 ft. lbs. when they should be even. When I went to the dealership to pick up the Atlas after these repairs, the grill, hood, nor headlights were mounted correctly. The paint had been scratched, there was concrete rash on several parts where they had been laid on the shop floor. So, they annotated that the grill had been replaced/repaired, leading to questions of collision damage!!!
I went to trade this top of the line Atlas, and because all that has been done to "FIX" a 5000 mile car, I was offered a $31,000.00 trade in value. It is not right that I have to pay for something that is not my fault. So in 6 months I have lost almost $20,000.00 in value.
And the sad part, this is the second Atlas I have owned. The first, was in the shop about 6 times for air conditioner problems. For my troubles, Volkswagen offered me 10 percent off of another vehicle but it had to be another Volkswagen..so I had no choice if I wanted their help. I would NEVER have another Volkswagen. And the executives at Volkswagen are no help. Stay away from Volkswagen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
**** Calla50! Sorry to hear all this. I can definitely understand your frustration.
I have another post on this Forum stating that my 2018 SEL Premium had an oil leak the second day (when I noticed) I brought it home. I took the car to the dealership, they said they repaired it, but they didn't; it is still leaking oil.
I will visit them again tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not had any problems with my Atlas yet. Referencing the antifreeze leak, I just had the recall on the coolant tank done last week. First one at my dealership. No coolant leak was noted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having had an engine in a 2016 Ford Expedition replaced for the same issue this spring..1. It is either leaking on the ground (easy to diagnose). 2. getting burned up in the combustion cycle ( changes the exhaust color to white usefully) 3. is going in tot he Oil pan.

We had 5 water pumps replaced in 32k, the heat would stop working and the truck would not keep antifreeze in the tank. Last time I took it in 3 days after it previously took it in, Ford agreed to keep it till they found out what was wrong with it and provided a New F150 Loaner. the dealer finally found Residue under the oil cap after an oil change ( it had had 4 changes in 3 weeks looking for antifreeze in the oil). Ford then replaced the Ecoboost long block with a newer version. Problem solved , then the Infotainment screen went bezerk. Now I am in an Atlas.

Having owned sever VW VR6's they then to burn some oil and some anti freeze. This is likely why so many of the 2018 Atlas have had Catolitic converter issues, is a miss cast in the VR heads that drip/ seeps antifreeze. As the Antifreeze burned up in the combustion cycle will foul the Cats at some point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh boy!!!! That doesn't sound encouraging! Mine has 3000 miles and I am having irritating humming/vibration noise coming from the front driver side door. I have a reply posted relating to that issue on the forum. However, I am concerned about the issues you brought up at 5K miles! The one thing I can say is that I own an American luxury vehicle as well, and this is my 1st German car since 2009. Until 2009 I drove only German cars, about 8 different luxury cars in 30 years. This year I needed to buy an SUV and after testing different manufacturers SUV's, in the same category, I went with the Atlas Premium SEL because of the value it offered, the warranty and the cost. Not sure if this was the best choice, and time will tell. Hope mine won't have issues like yours! Good luck with yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts