Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - we needed to get rid of our Traverse after 110,000 so after 2 weeks of looking at and test driving the VW Atlas and Honda Pilot - we chose to go with the Atlas - 2019 SE 4-motion with towing. We received the vehicle last Tuesday and the first shake-down mission would be a spring break run from Wisconsin to Gulf Shores, AL starting Thursday evening. Some things I noticed during test driving was the transmission - but was thinking it was just my perception of going from a 6 speed to 8 speed gearbox. On the trip seemed to not downshift as needed when trying to pass - and when it did it would downshift too far and just wind out at 5 grand. at lower speeds the transmission was very eager to up shift - to the point of feeling and hearing the engine laboring. I played around with the driving modes and could not find a preset that helped - have not dabbled into a custom setting as we haven't even had a moment to program the home link or take change the key chains. Spent the first night in IL and headed to Nashville Friday - the temps got warmer as we headed south so went to cool things down in the car with the AC - but the system did not cool. Spent the last 8 hours of the drive down and the first 8 hours of the drive back sweating with the windows down and our backs stuck to the seats. Also on a pit stop i could hear/feel the front brakes grinding - and the front wheels are black with brake dust after 2,300 mile round trip. So between the transmission, AC issue, and brakes it is not a good first impression - makes me already regret our decision. I will be dropping it off at the dealer on Monday so they can go thru all of the issues i have with it. Has anyone encountered similar issues?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bummer. I am new to the Atlas (2019 S AWD with Tow P), but have friends who have been driving theirs for a year now with nothing but praise.

That said I am a big VW guy and do have a few (hopefully helpful) comments:

The a/c *might* be disabled in certain driving modes (my sales lady owned one and in all of her talking I picked up on that comment, but have not verified.) If you were trying to set up custom drive mode, you *may* have disabled that feature in that mode. Again this is what I was told, I literally have only had my wife's car a few days and have much to learn. In any event this is very annoying and I would be very upset either way as AC is very important to me. Hopefully this gets resolved ASAP for you at dealer.

The brakes is normal VW SUV...I drive two Touaregs and know all about brake dust and noise. BUT VW brakes are very, very good brakes. I have owed many VW's and the brakes performance always stood out as superb. Now aftermarket there will be pads that don't make as much dust and are less noisy, but they will not have the performance of the OEM supplied components.

Transmission is an Aisin brand (big supplier to Toyota for years) and should be a very good unit, but modern times and MPG goals mean a lot of vehicles now have to really lug down at driving speed to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. The best thing to do here is to use "S" mode when you feel bothered by it. Hopefully someone here will come on and say it is possible to have the transmission shifting remapped with VAG Com so that"normal" people like us who don't want to be lugging all over town can have traditional shifting transmissions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The a/c *might* be disabled in certain driving modes (my sales lady owned one and in all of her talking I picked up on that comment, but have not verified.) If you were trying to set up custom drive mode, you *may* have disabled that feature in that mode. Again this is what I was told, I literally have only had my wife's car a few days and have much to learn. In any event this is very annoying and I would be very upset either way as AC is very important to me. Hopefully this gets resolved ASAP for you at dealer.
Nevermind, at least on the "S" I got no options but steering and drive in the custom mode. Maybe other trims can be more customizable, but the "modes" really are rudimentary on mine for options. Economy also appears to run a/c.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There have been a wide range of reported transmission problems on earlier models, but as far as I know most of them have been addressed. Issues with the A/C suggest a bad/faulty compressor or cooling fan. The brake dust accumulation sounds fairly typical of a VW to me, especially on such a long trip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When it comes to transmission issues, some of us might be better off than Acura/Honda guys. I have heard horror stories that would damage that Japanese automakers reputation. If there's one thing they need to work on, its transmissions. In fact they might be better off switching suppliers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about these early onset issues schwebby, but hopefully your dealer is able to alleviate some of the problems. There are some nuances with the transmission in this car, so I would anticipate it will take some time to find the best driving settings/mode for your driving style. With regards to the brakes, aftermarket pads have been known to reduce the amount of dust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts