Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum. I just bought a new VW Atlas V6 with Technology 4Motion on 9/16. I only put on it like 150 miles and have noticed that it has this herky jerky thing going on while shifting it seems to be happening in all gears, but I can mostly feel it driving at like 20 mph. It seems like it does not know what gear to be in. Sometimes it shift hard. Also slowing down to stop it shift very abruptly. All in all very unsettling. One thing I have noticed is in Sport mode it does not happen as bad.

All my years of driving I have never experienced anything so bad. I really want to take it back to the dealership and get a refund. But I think I am in for the long haul of needing to take it to the dealer and doing the dance of reproducing the problem to them and letting the service people have their turn at trying to resolve the problem.

What I have read in this forum is that this issue has been common with the Atlas. Most of what I have read has been post from 2017, 2018, 2019 and some 2020, but so far I have not read any from newer Atlas like maybe some owners with 2021 or 2022.

I am assuming that this is still an issue since it is happening on my new 2023. So I hoping that I might hear back from newer owners with the same issues or maybe someone might know if anyone has even gotten this issue fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
My take? D mode can be a bit herky jerky depending on driver input. The transmission may just need to be reset as it does have some adaptive bits in the TCU (trans control unit). I'd just take it in, get the tech to go for a ride to reproduce it. They will scan for codes which you likely don't have, but you may be able to suggest to the tech to do a reset and see if that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My take? D mode can be a bit herky jerky depending on driver input. The transmission may just need to be reset as it does have some adaptive bits in the TCU (trans control unit). I'd just take it in, get the tech to go for a ride to reproduce it. They will scan for codes which you likely don't have, but you may be able to suggest to the tech to do a reset and see if that helps. Good luck!
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
We bought our 2021 SE w/ Tech package with about 8K miles on it...we were told the transmission had been replaced about 500 miles ago at 7.5ish K miles...I had no issues with that as they gave us a good deal on it and the trade in vs new....so im not saying Atlas have Transmission issues but ours did and it was replaced at 7.5K miles...before we got it...we just Yesterday finally got the final deal fixed(though it was fixed earlier guess they had to recheck the door harness again to make sure it was still good) with the door harness...but the Transmission and door harness its been great after the harness fix back in late may early June..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently have a 22 SEL Premium with the 4motion VR6 set up and when we first got ours it did the same thing for the first 1000 miles or so. Now I have 6500 miles and it is totally fine. Most if not all new automatic cars have adaptive transmissions which basically means it take a little bit of time for the car to "learn" your driving style and adjusts accordingly. Our previous Atlas which was a 2019 did the same exact thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I am new to this forum. I just bought a new VW Atlas V6 with Technology 4Motion on 9/16. I only put on it like 150 miles and have noticed that it has this herky jerky thing going on while shifting it seems to be happening in all gears, but I can mostly feel it driving at like 20 mph. It seems like it does not know what gear to be in. Sometimes it shift hard. Also slowing down to stop it shift very abruptly. All in all very unsettling. One thing I have noticed is in Sport mode it does not happen as bad.

All my years of driving I have never experienced anything so bad. I really want to take it back to the dealership and get a refund. But I think I am in for the long haul of needing to take it to the dealer and doing the dance of reproducing the problem to them and letting the service people have their turn at trying to resolve the problem.

What I have read in this forum is that this issue has been common with the Atlas. Most of what I have read has been post from 2017, 2018, 2019 and some 2020, but so far I have not read any from newer Atlas like maybe some owners with 2021 or 2022.

I am assuming that this is still an issue since it is happening on my new 2023. So I hoping that I might hear back from newer owners with the same issues or maybe someone might know if anyone has even gotten this issue fixed.
Mine did this at first but has improved with time, also Sport mode does work smoother. Perhaps the dealer could install a computer code update. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the 2021 model and shutters going from second to third gear. We have tried taking to the dealer and told 3 times they could not recreate the issue. Capitol VW, SJ...

·
Registered
169 Posts

I had so many problems with my 2021Atlas cross Sport that I got rid of it, no quality control, inferior parts and functionality, get rid of it while you can

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have exactly the same issues with the jerking transmissions. Most of the time, the car does not know which gear to use! The gear goes down and immediately up, creating a very unpleasant ride!
The dealer response - we could not re-create the issues, seriously? And telling (somewhere above) that the D might be little jerky is not an excuse; I'm sorry paid over 60K for the car that drives like crap!
This is my 4th German car (first VW), and I have to say, it is far off from the quality of the majority of cars...

Additionally, after the first month I had a lot of issues with electronics:
  • the navigation did not remember the last destinations
  • no backup camera when reversing!
  • error messages: road signs error, stability control error
The dealer replaced the control module F5, and those issues are gone. But the issues with the transmission are still there. I will book an appointment and take a ride with the service guy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have exactly the same issues with the jerking transmissions. Most of the time, the car does not know which gear to use! The gear goes down and immediately up, creating a very unpleasant ride!
The dealer response - we could not re-create the issues, seriously? And telling (somewhere above) that the D might be little jerky is not an excuse; I'm sorry paid over 60K for the car that drives like crap!
This is my 4th German car (first VW), and I have to say, it is far off from the quality of the majority of cars...

The dealer replaced the control module F5, and those issues are gone. But the issues with the transmission are still there. I will book an appointment and take a ride with the service guy.
Get rid of the pos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have owned 3 VW before the Atlas. 2 Jetta and an ID.4 and I loved each and every they have all been very good cars. I still own the ID.4 and I love it. So I am very disappointed with the Atlas. Between the Atlas and the crappy VW sales person I will never buy an VW again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Keep it in sport mode. The trans skips gears going up and down the scale to save gas. 1 to 3 taking off is especially weird. If you can get the tech to turn that skipping gearsboff it may solve. I have a 2019 that was weird when i bought in February 2020 and will occasionally start off in sport mode and back to Drive Mode when i get up to speed. Try using the manual mode and see how it works shifting thru the gears yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep it in sport mode. The trans skips gears going up and down the scale to save gas. 1 to 3 taking off is especially weird. If you can get the tech to turn that skipping gearsboff it may solve. I have a 2019 that was weird when i bought in February 2020 and will occasionally start off in sport mode and back to Drive Mode when i get up to speed. Try using the manual mode and see how it works shifting thru the gears yourself.
thanks for the information. I have tried Sports mode and that really helps a bit. I have also tired to manual shift, but when starting like from a light I forget to shift up and and of course end up in high RPM! So I need to practice to start to shift right away.🙂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts