Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took possession yesterday. I bought the 2019 SE 4 Motion with Technology to replace an aging Honda Pilot. Didn't want to spring for the extra $5K to $10K to move up to the SEL group. This level has a good mix of helpful stuff without being to gimmacky.

In the process, we auditioned the Pilot, a Highlander, a Santa Fe XL, an Ascent, an XC90 and a Q7. None of which made as much sense as the SE. I've owned VW's in the past, bugs, busses, and Cabriolets, but stopped buying them as I wanted more performance. Now with 14 year old triplets the need for performance comes from Ducati. We need the extra space.

I let you guys buy the 2017's and 2018's and settle out most of the problems ahead of time.

A dealer note. There's a little shop in Canton, Ct, called Mitchell Volkswagen. They beat everyone's pricing by $2K to $3K. Just to give you an idea of how they work, I purchased my Atlas with the tow package. When I was leaving we were looking at the car and the electrical connection for the trailer was incomplete. No receptacle. My salesman looked around and couldn't find it. We were completely sure if it was to be included. He said he would get to the bottom of it. I got a call today to say that it should have been there, but somewhere between the factory and the dealer it was missing. He pulled one out of the parts department and is mailing it to me. The dealer is about 1 1/2 hours from me. I felt pretty good about that.

So..... about the car. Acceleration is fair, cornering is flat, ride is comfortable, kinda goldilocks. Yes the gas mileage isn't spectacular. Neither was my Pilot. These are BIG cars. Settling in for the ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you will enjoy it. Mine is the SEL P and was one of the last 2018 batches made in September and delivered in October (the next delivery to my dealership after when mine was delivered were the 2019 modles). So far non of the prior issues occurred on mine. But to be honest even if the model is 2 years into production one could encounter an issue and that is mostly dependent on outsourced parts which is beyond a manufacturer's control. Let's hope we got all the good ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My husband and I are looking to purchase the 19 SE model w/ the tech pkg. We haven't received it yet b/c the local dealer did not have the exterior color I preferred. I wanted to add comments to keep up with any comments that come in prior and post purchase.
I had a VW beetle back in 2001-2005, purchased brand new w/ the 60 mo/60K mileage warranty. Back then reviews were riddled with both extremes of performance and issues. I never experienced them with the bug and I'm hoping to experience the same with the Atlas.
I thought the 2019 Atlas was the sophomore year for the Atlas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll have to see. I needed the space and so far it looks pretty good. The SE with Tech package gives you most of the goood stuff without what's just cute. So far I think your'e on the right track.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In a way those 2017's can be a good buy if you make sure the issues have been addressed and know what to look out for.

However it takes being someone beyond a regular owner.

The upside is you can probably score one of those Atlas' for a good deal if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took possession of the 19 SE w/ tech package and 4motion yesterday. Thus far what I've noticed is the odd shifting the engine does both in acceleration and deceleration. I expect I should get used to it.

The other difference I noticed from the Pilot is the windshield seems much smaller and even with the seat raised to it's highest setting, I have a hard time seeing over the hood. Again, could just be me in my 5'4" vertical challenge and getting used to the change.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Took possession of the 19 SE w/ tech package and 4motion yesterday. Thus far what I've noticed is the odd shifting the engine does both in acceleration and deceleration. I expect I should get used to it.

The other difference I noticed from the Pilot is the windshield seems much smaller and even with the seat raised to it's highest setting, I have a hard time seeing over the hood. Again, could just be me in my 5'4" vertical challenge and getting used to the change.
I would agree that the transmission does take come getting used to. I find it shifts hard in 1 and 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about 2,300 miles into the vehicle and trans has smoothed out, or maybe I'm just learning the throttle a little better. Either way, this car seems a great fit for us. I have 14 triplet girls and the space is very nice.
I thought that I would buy another Pilot, but the redesign is awful in my opinion. Next to Highlander, after crossing out used XC-90's and Audi Q7's. For the price and the warranty, VW is way ahead. My girls think it's looks fancy in Black.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm about 2,300 miles into the vehicle and trans has smoothed out, or maybe I'm just learning the throttle a little better. Either way, this car seems a great fit for us. I have 14 triplet girls and the space is very nice.
I thought that I would buy another Pilot, but the redesign is awful in my opinion. Next to Highlander, after crossing out used XC-90's and Audi Q7's. For the price and the warranty, VW is way ahead. My girls think it's looks fancy in Black.
Sometimes its a matter of luck and getting in the right build batch.
Sadly even with that, come time to sell you might be negative impacted by the general consensus of the Atlas, which so far isn't shaping up to be positive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sadly even with that, come time to sell you might be negative impacted by the general consensus of the Atlas, which so far isn't shaping up to be positive.
Where is that general consensus?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Out of Curiosity what are you driving?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts