Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add wireless CPlay2Air and wireless phone charging to my 2019 SE w/Tech, if I can make it look like a custom installation.
Primarily, I am looking for a custom solution for the wireless charging part of the project because it would not make sense to have wireless CarPlay and then have to plug my phone into a USB port to charge it, especially on a long trip.
Any ideas and suggestions on what worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me answer my own question. I just previewed a youtube video for the 2021 Atlas. Apparently, there is wireless charging and two, not one USB ports in the front center cubby.
I guess this means that I will be able to buy the OEM wireless charging pad soon and get the custom look I was after. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me answer my own question. I just previewed a youtube video for the 2021 Atlas. Apparently, there is wireless charging and two, not one USB ports in the front center cubby.
I guess this means that I will be able to buy the OEM wireless charging pad soon and get the custom look I was after. .
Awesome, I was looking to do the same thing but was stuck until I found this thread. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have not found a way to add wireless carplay, but I must say that my wireless charger is way to finicky to make me believe that CarPlay would work. With mine, you have to very carefully place the phone in cubby to get it to work and it has be just right. If you go around a curve and the phone moves, it will disconnect. Also, it is very slow, but the phone gets very hot. I’ve just stopped trying to use it and plug the phone in to charge and for CarPlay I had to do that anyway. I have a 2021 SE Tech and a iPhone Xs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think wireless carplay is something you can "add on" if the factory infotainment system isn't setup for it. I think automakers are just starting to add it and it is unlikely that it would be "retrofit". I have seen a couple of "dongles" you can plug in to a vehicle's USB that claim to add the wireless carplay functions but who knows if they work. As for the wireless charging, the Russian/Chinese Teramont version of the Atlas had it previously so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the parts and swap it in. However, what is the point of wireless charging if you can't have wireless carplay/android auto? You'd still have to plug in your phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts