Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have 2018 VW Atlas SEL 4-motion, with 23500 miles. I bought it back in September 2017, and last night it didn't start, showing low battery message. I haven't checked with the dealer yet, but wondering if someone replaced battery of 2018 Atlas. I have been changing batteries for my Honda Pilot 2006, but never did it for Volkswagen. Do I need a memory saver or can replace it without. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Your battery should be covered by an extended 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty from date of purchase/vehicle in-service. Have the dealer do this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your battery should be covered by an extended 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty from date of purchase/vehicle in-service. Have the dealer do this.
Says he bought it in Sept of 2017....the 3yr warranty would have expired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am 3 months out of the extended warranty period. When I check the VW parts site, there are 2 different part numbers 000915105DE ($154) and 000915105FC ($108) for battery which fits "2018 Volkswagen Atlas SEL Sport Utility 3.6L V6 A/T AWD", so not sure which one should I buy. Also, not sure if I can replace it without using memory saver device.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am 3 months out of the extended warranty period. When I check the VW parts site, there are 2 different part numbers 000915105DE ($154) and 000915105FC ($108) for battery which fits "2018 Volkswagen Atlas SEL Sport Utility 3.6L V6 A/T AWD", so not sure which one should I buy. Also, not sure if I can replace it without using memory saver device.
Honestly, I would have the dealer swap your battery. It's not going to cost much more than a DIY job and you are sure the settings etc. are all sorted out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to VW dealer in Irvine, CA tomorrow for battery replacement. The battery is $227 and labor is $95. The service adviser told me that there is coding required after battery replacement, and it can only be done at VW dealership. I think the coding is for battery management system, which will prevent alternator to over change the new battery. After some discount, battery cost me $198+tax, and labor will be $85.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Call Autozone or Advance Auto and ask them. They do free battery replacements.
I had the same issue with my Toyota.
It was as easy as disconnecting the old battery and turning on the headlights to discharge the capacitors and reconnecting the new battery.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
I am going to VW dealer in Irvine, CA tomorrow for battery replacement. The battery is $227 and labor is $95. The service adviser told me that there is coding required after battery replacement, and it can only be done at VW dealership. I think the coding is for battery management system, which will prevent alternator to over change the new battery. After some discount, battery cost me $198+tax, and labor will be $85.
Good deal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it is a reasonable price.
This being said, I get annoyed when I sit in the waiting room and hear the "crap" which they give to the customers and upcharge by adding a lot of unnecessary work, especially to the elderly. I hate being held hostage by the dealer because of special built in procedures which do nothing but fill the dealer's pockets and drive away competition.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
I think it is a reasonable price.
This being said, I get annoyed when I sit in the waiting room and hear the "crap" which they give to the customers and upcharge by adding a lot of unnecessary work, especially to the elderly. I hate being held hostage by the dealer because of special built in procedures which do nothing but fill the dealer's pockets and drive away competition.
You definately need to be good at saying "no" when you go to a dealer. I usually do night drops and don't wait which makes the process easier. They text when it's done or a few upsells, v. easy to say no.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The problem is that some people don’t know when to say no. The last time I had my Toyota into the dealer, a women came in and had a stuck caliper on a rear wheel. They told her that she would have to replace the caliper, pads and rotors on that wheel and while they were at it, they should replace the calipers, rotors, pads and bearings on all wheels, “because if it happened on one wheel it will probably happen on the others”. Then they went on to tell her that the stuck caliper would most likely has been dragging and the tire wheel diameter was “likely” smaller and she should replace all tires as a safety concern. And, they not only sold her four new tires, but they told her she needed five new tires. The cost was almost $5k! When the service manager left I told her it seemed excessive.
She politely told me to mind my own business, which I usually have a hard time doing!

·
Super Moderator
29 Posts
The problem is that some people don’t know when to say no. The last time I had my Toyota into the dealer, a women came in and had a stuck caliper on a rear wheel. They told her that she would have to replace the caliper, pads and rotors on that wheel and while they were at it, they should replace the calipers, rotors, pads and bearings on all wheels, “because if it happened on one wheel it will probably happen on the others”. Then they went on to tell her that the stuck caliper would most likely has been dragging and the tire wheel diameter was “likely” smaller and she should replace all tires as a safety concern. And, they not only sold her four new tires, but they told her she needed five new tires. The cost was almost $5k! When the service manager left I told her it seemed excessive.
She politely told me to mind my own business, which I usually have a hard time doing!
I think most people dont say no because they can just charge everything to a lovely little plastic card in the wallet and pay it off.
In my opinion it is just to much fun yelling at stuck bolts and running to the parts store 3 times in just doing a basic brake pad change than letting the dealers have all the fun.

Reactions: KarstGeo

·
Registered
19 Posts
I disconnected the battery on 2019 atlas while installing a trailer brake controller. When I reconnected a couple dash lights came on but they immediately turned off when I shifted into drive. Look it up on YouTube, takes about 5 minutes to disconnect everything then simply remove and replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You cannot simply replace a battery in the Atlas, if you look at the negative terminal, you will see a small module. The battery must be adapted to this module using a scan tool. If you do not adapt the new battery to the module, the module will continue to behave as if it has a failing/weak battery.

This is why the Atlas (and other new VW) jump post is on the firewall, you do not connect jumper leads or a charger directly to the battery control module, which is mounted on the negative terminal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You want to replace with same size battery and Cold Cranking Amps

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone who expects to take an Atlas to O'Reillys or AutoZone for a free battery replacement.

I took the old battery for my 2012 Ford Fusion in to be replaced (was driving it there in my Atlas). The sales rep failed to listen completely to me to identify the make and model for the battery replacement, and incorrectly assumed that I wanted a new battery for my Atlas. He told me that they will no longer replace batteries for newer cars with any kind of smart terminals. They'll sell you the battery, but they will not help you install them due to liability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3 Year warranty?? Maybe I am missing something but I thought the 2018 atlas came with a 6 year/72k mile warranty? I can't remember off the top of my head exactly when my vehicle was first purchased (second owner of a 2018 atlas SEL) but I just had my battery replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago... I would definitely second taking it to the dealer and asking for warranty...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts