Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an 18 and want to update maps...checked vw site but atlas is missing and can't seem to find anything about it...anyone done an update?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so much for yearly updates then...2 years with no updates doesn't make sense. can updates (whenever it becomes available) be downloaded or dealer install? chose some random car at vw site and have to buy from dealer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
so much for yearly updates then...2 years with no updates doesn't make sense. can updates (whenever it becomes available) be downloaded or dealer install? chose some random car at vw site and have to buy from dealer.
Let me save you some money. Don't update. This is my 2nd VW w/Nav and just like the 2013 Passat, just use your phone and PRIMARY or get a much better (imo) Garmin that has FREE traffic and UPDATES. The issue I have with VW's nav system is, it's slow to react (you pass your turn sometimes before it says TURN. It can't always find where your going either. I've taken 4 road trips. That's why my 2019 Atlas SEL Premium has 9500 miles on it. From Detroit, went to WI, MA, TN and MS. That trip to MS was 2800 miles round trip (did some side trips in TN for the 2nd time) looking for homesteads. So, when my VWNet was still active, I used it to upload places we wanted to see. It found like 80, maybe 90% of where we wanted to go and even then, wasn't on the money. Sucks if you are in the middle of no where, have bad cell service and trying to find a address. I have a 2011 Town and Country. Not once have I updated it and it's pretty much on the mark and is faster in operation then the VW. And another reason. I've taken no less then 10 trips to Sturgeon Bay WI in the last 10/11 years. 57/42 from Green Bay to SB has been "redone" years ago. Even with the updates on my Garmin, it does not show the update and it's a MAJOR change. So, why would I spend $100+ bucks for a update that might do updates but not every thing? And for me, it's not changing anything where I travel so I don't bother. My phone is the MOST up to date and with google (or apple's) phone to car app, you get the LATEST right on your phone to your screen. So, spend your money on some mud flaps or other cool stuff and don't waist your money on the map updates.. This is my 4th VW, my 2nd with the wiz bang Fender sound system w/nav, etc. Don't trust or waist your money on the Nav system. IT SUCKS! (I really hope VW reads this) Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I totally agree with NO UPDATES needed. Use your phone apps. I like Google Maps with carplay. More up to date and can save offline maps (When out of cell range) and traffic. Try Satellite mode, like driving with a drone following you, pretty cool. I also owned Toyota 4runners for about 14 years and hated the navigation (Got me lost several times or can not find an address in remote areas) and will NOT pay the exorbitant prices to upgrade for a nav I disliked. I do not mind VW Nav for local travel but will use Google Maps when on a long drive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wish aa/cp screen could be moved to the dash screen but yeah i do use aa and prefer it to any built in nav. not sure if updated maps will also update base software for the infotainment system as it does on my genesis .

·
Registered
203 Posts
I keep a plugin Garmin GPS in my car center console. Ninety nine percent of the time I use Google Maps through CarPlay, since I have unlimited data. However, I find CarPlay connections a little sketchy sometimes. Recently, I was passing through Washington DC and got stuck on the interstate due to a major accident backed up for at least three exits. I got off and Google Maps kept on sending me back to the same area (and I was very distracted using the infotainment screen/voice commands) whereas.the Garmin easily rerouted my around the accident.
I don't know if it was Google Maps or my lesser experience with CarPlay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep a plugin Garmin GPS in my car center console. Ninety nine percent of the time I use Google Maps through CarPlay, since I have unlimited data. However, I find CarPlay connections a little sketchy sometimes. Recently, I was passing through Washington DC and got stuck on the interstate due to a major accident backed up for at least three exits. I got off and Google Maps kept on sending me back to the same area (and I was very distracted using the infotainment screen/voice commands) whereas.the Garmin easily rerouted my around the accident.
I don't know if it was Google Maps or my lesser experience with CarPlay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both Google and Waze apps for car play. Waze has a different look than google, but works well and has some interactive options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm terribly disappointed with VW navigation updates! I got the SEL version for the features not to rely on Apple Carplay and my iPhone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow still no updates.

i do like the built in nav for its features and responsiveness. ability to move it to the digital cockpit is also cool. but prefer the connected features of aa much more so can't see myself using the built in for travel. it would be fine for quick local use though. anyone know if vw updates also update the software version of the infotainment system? updates on my genesis will also update the core software to fix bugs and add new features/options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts