Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Atlas (SE)
Ive noticed something on my atlas, its bone stock at the moment, but usually when im on the freeway and i encounter certain uneven surfaces, it feels like im riding on a boat. Do any of you guys feel the same?

I have a 2004 4runner that i drive daily and its so much stiffer and responsive, i know they're two different vehicles but i would like to have my atlas to replicate that same ride if possible.

I also took a search to see if there are aftermarket shocks and i cannot find any at all? am i looking at it wrong? lmk would love to hear from you fellow owners on this topic. thank you guys!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a guy named Jamie Orr who slammed an Atlas and a Cross Sport for product development of Coilovers with The Suspension Source & KW Suspension.

This (future) kit will be the first that I am aware of and should come with the firmness you are looking for and you can have the ride height set however you want (the range is something like stock to 6 inch drop).

Depending on your mileage, your shocks could be toast, but don’t take this as diagnosis-by-phone. I also wonder if anyone is doing replacement with “OEM+” equipment like shocks from a Q7.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2019 SEL-P Atlas only feels squishy on the road when heavily laden. I just came back from a 6000 mile road trip to Boston and back, with the largest size Thule roof rack filled with close to 125lbs of gear, and another 120lbs on a hitch carrier in the back, and 6 of us onboard, including my 6'3" son (think linebacker-sized), who was able to ride in the rear seats fairly comfortably (if his shorter sisters scooted the middle row up for him). It bounced more over bumps in the road than it normally does, but as soon as all of that gear and cargo came off, it rebounded to its more stiff ride.

I'm at about 56K miles on it in about 2.25 years. Still love it.

·
Registered
2019 ATLAS SE 4MOTION W/TECHNOLOGY
10 Posts
Interesting post...I was thinking of sourcing the Rancho Adjustable air shocks. I had those on a Nissan Armada. Those were tight especially at the highest setting which went from 1-10..soft-hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any updates / new product reviews in this thread? I have the same issue with my 2021 Atlas SEL. It "floats" down the road, and it seems to "roll" in the corners on the highway. I definitely need something to stiffen up the ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Scale suspension coilovers kits. The KW kits are not yet available & haven’t gotten feedback when I’ve reached out.

I suggested to Scale that they offer OE upgrades in addition to the coilovers. I do think the coilover at stock height would be an improvement, but costly if you don’t want to lower it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2018 Atlas (SE)
Ive noticed something on my atlas, its bone stock at the moment, but usually when im on the freeway and i encounter certain uneven surfaces, it feels like im riding on a boat. Do any of you guys feel the same?

I have a 2004 4runner that i drive daily and its so much stiffer and responsive, i know they're two different vehicles but i would like to have my atlas to replicate that same ride if possible.

I also took a search to see if there are aftermarket shocks and i cannot find any at all? am i looking at it wrong? lmk would love to hear from you fellow owners on this topic. thank you guys!!
Interesting.....just got an Atlas SEL P 4M and also got a 2007 4Runner. Big difference and it becomes more obvious when towing. The springs in the SR-5 are stiffer and shocks control decompression in one bounce. The Atlas shocks allow a second short rebound and the springs are weaker. With the same load on the hitch the Atlas squats almost a full inch more. Try adjustable shocks on the rebound (decompression). See my comment in towing.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
Interesting.....just got an Atlas SEL P 4M and also got a 2007 4Runner. Big difference and it becomes more obvious when towing. The springs in the SR-5 are stiffer and shocks control decompression in one bounce. The Atlas shocks allow a second short rebound and the springs are weaker. With the same load on the hitch the Atlas squats almost a full inch more. Try adjustable shocks on the rebound (decompression). See my comment in towing.
These two vehicles are night/day different - 4Runner....old school body-on-frame SUV....Atlas, basically a large Golf.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What are you trying to figure out? The only aftermarket damper solution would be coilovers by Solowerks.
I'm not trying to figure anything out. I just answering Loc9 posting and was suggesting he try adjustable shocks in the extension (decompression/dampening , etc.) which will alleviate the excessive bouncing (boat feeling) common in the Atlas. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
I'm not trying to figure anything out. I just answering Loc9 posting and was suggesting he try adjustable shocks in the extension (decompression/dampening , etc.) which will alleviate the excessive bouncing (boat feeling) common in the Atlas. Take care.
Nothing available unfortunately beyond the coilovers I mentioned. Really need Bilstein or Konis for these things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I equate the ride of my Atlas as bi-polar. Sometimes its a billowy boat, other times a loaded steam roller.

I just bought slightly higher profile (55) tires to dampen the steam roller effect. It literally rides harder than a GT3 on these quality NY "roads". The stock Continentals were excellent, but noisy over rough pavement. I paused on the lift kit install as I am afraid I will put this into a pole. Trying to get used to the new tires before going up and further changing the handling dynamics. I drive this hard and fast. End game - to me its a nice looking car and inexpensive. I'm not complaining.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts