Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Not shocking, it's just not made for this. The Haldex awd system isn't ideal vs. a more mechanical system on some SUVs. It can only send 50% of the available torque to the back and with open diffs, once wheel spins back there, your'e done but still, having the fronts not stuck surprised it couldn't get out. Not sure if user error in how the system works is to blame. I've seen other videos of the Atlas offroading quite well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not shocking, it's just not made for this. The Haldex awd system isn't ideal vs. a more mechanical system on some SUVs. It can only send 50% of the available torque to the back and with open diffs, once wheel spins back there, your'e done but still, having the fronts not stuck surprised it couldn't get out. Not sure if user error in how the system works is to blame. I've seen other videos of the Atlas offroading quite well.
That's what surprised me....that one wheel up and "nothing" he tried could get it to move? Seems like something isn't right.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
That's what surprised me....that one wheel up and "nothing" he tried could get it to move? Seems like something isn't right.
Agreed. If you took a Haldex-equipped car with open diffs and lifted one each front and rear opposite sides, it should not be able to move. If only one axle has a wheel up then it should be able to get out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From some videos I've seen, it looked like the 4motion system is capable of brake-locking a spinning wheel on each axle to help get traction to the other to get out, so this is surprising to me. Can't find that in any official press releases, though, so maybe something else was going on in those videos.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the Tiguan not the Atlas, and I know rollers aren't the same as real world. But the only setup the Tiguan failed to move was with both front wheels on rollers and one rear wheel on rollers. Seems to me with 3 wheels on the ground it should never get stuck.

This is the Atlas on 3 rollers. Not a good video but similar results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts