Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my 2019 Atlas SE and from the very first day of driving it, I noticed a weird jumpiness when gears are shifting up or shifting down at low speed. Mainly only happens between 1st-4th gear it seems. Super annoying and I just don't feel comfortable with it. Took it to the dealership where I purchased it, test drove another 2020 Atlas and surprisingly, it has the same issue. Like a weird jerking me around type of experience. Literally, the car is jerking me around. I took it in for service, test drove it with the technician, and not surprisingly, I was told that it is "normal for Atlas shifting". It may be normal for Atlas shifting but it's evident it is NOT NORMAL when comparing to other makes and models, including older VW makes and models. I've been driving automatic vehicles for over 25 years and never have I felt this type of unsatisfactory experience. I am appalled that VW is actually getting away with manufacturing such poor quality with the Atlas. I have no idea if other VW models have the same issue but the Atlas seems like it's a great big load of scrap metal. It looks good, it is spacious but when it comes to performance, highly not recommended.

Has anyone else experienced a jerky move and jumpiness with their 2019 Atlas in lower gears? If so, did you end up fixing it, and if yes, please share any details that would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same issue. I have a 19 Atlas SE w/4motion w/tech package and pano roof, with only 2500 miles . I took mine in at 1900 miles with a transmission complaint. Gears 1-2 shift pretty hard and I get a noise from the torque converter. Apparently the torque converter noise is well known, but no repair has been issued yet. The shifting issue wasn't able to be duplicated, and now I have a new concern. When slowing down and then reacclerating, the car lerches forward before smoothing back out. This is a really nice vehicle except for the transmission behavior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This Atlas is just full of surprises. While I am still suffering with the 1-2 gear hard shift and the annoying lag/throw your back in the seat when it does find a gear when leaving roundabouts I have new issues. Now have an issue where my tranny shifts from 5-6-7 all in about 5 mph and then it immediately downshift back to 6th. During this time my foot never switches its position. Another strange thing happened this weekend, while I was accelerating onto a highway (and again my foot was in the very same position) the car just started to accelerate noticeably faster from 65-70mph while still remaining in the same gear........in 34 years of driving I have never had a tranny act like that.

At some point there has to be a recall on the Atlas.........I can honestly say this is the worst transmission/ECU combination I have ever driven.

Volkswagen, you have made one big piece of carp with the Atlas and its powertrain !!!!!
Same issue

21 - 24 of 24 Posts