Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Atlas is just full of surprises. While I am still suffering with the 1-2 gear hard shift and the annoying lag/throw your back in the seat when it does find a gear when leaving roundabouts I have new issues. Now have an issue where my tranny shifts from 5-6-7 all in about 5 mph and then it immediately downshift back to 6th. During this time my foot never switches its position. Another strange thing happened this weekend, while I was accelerating onto a highway (and again my foot was in the very same position) the car just started to accelerate noticeably faster from 65-70mph while still remaining in the same gear........in 34 years of driving I have never had a tranny act like that.

At some point there has to be a recall on the Atlas.........I can honestly say this is the worst transmission/ECU combination I have ever driven.

Volkswagen, you have made one big piece of carp with the Atlas and its powertrain !!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Atlas Transmission

Might just have a bad unit.

Mine has 4000 miles and has always shifted smoothly. I have had a couple of shifts between 1 and 2 that seem like the ECU is hesitant to decide but nothing abrupt or jerky just a slight pause.
The transmission is Japanese and is made by Aisin a tier 1 supplier and have supplied Toyota in the past.

Here's some info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions

Good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Volkswagen has had my car for over 30 days now in just 5 months and have yet to replace a single part.........The last visit was 28 days !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's absolutely abysmal customer service and I hope you have voiced your complaints. There seem to be quite a lot of owners suffering from similar transmission oddities. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some serious recalls on the Atlas in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. Volkswagens customer service to this point has been horrific. I wish more would be vocal about these tranny issues. Where else have you seen or heard about people having issues ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Saw a few posts on other forums and now I see that a good number of them were from you aha. But there's also some videos on YouTube showcasing some other tranny problems. This guy has a couple of videos regarding tranny and ac problems in his Atlas. Some suggested that it was a software related issue and not mechanical...find that a little hard to believe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This Atlas is just full of surprises. While I am still suffering with the 1-2 gear hard shift and the annoying lag/throw your back in the seat when it does find a gear when leaving roundabouts I have new issues. Now have an issue where my tranny shifts from 5-6-7 all in about 5 mph and then it immediately downshift back to 6th. During this time my foot never switches its position. Another strange thing happened this weekend, while I was accelerating onto a highway (and again my foot was in the very same position) the car just started to accelerate noticeably faster from 65-70mph while still remaining in the same gear........in 34 years of driving I have never had a tranny act like that.

At some point there has to be a recall on the Atlas.........I can honestly say this is the worst transmission/ECU combination I have ever driven.

Volkswagen, you have made one big piece of carp with the Atlas and its powertrain !!!!!
What drive mode do you have the vehicle in? What engine does yours have? 4motion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue a hard shift from gear 1 to 2, on my SEL 4 motion... have you a resolution yet? I have only 300 mile on mine... going in on Thursday to get it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think what is important to keep in mind here is that this is a 100% electronically controlled transmission that is used in many Lexus / Toyota products. I have experienced the over zealous upshift from 6-7 and back to 6, and I am confident it is tied to your other issue about the increase in acceleration without moving the pedal.

First on the stationary pedal and increased acceleration. What you are feeling in intake resonance or variable intake tuning. I'm not sure if the atlas has the resonance chambers and flaps in the intake plenum, or if it has a flap somewhere else in the intake tract. The purpose of this is to maximize low end torque without sacrificing high end power. I have driven many modern vehicle and experienced this sensation. Hondas love to do this.

Second, if that intake transition occurs right after the 6-7 upshift, the power increase will cause the transmission to revert back to 6. I have experienced this a few times, the good news is this can be easily rectified through software

My opinion is that it is one of the best gearboxes in the market right now. It was designed to provide a direct shift feel with extremely fast shifts, without the problems associated with Dual Clutch Gearboxes. the 2-1 downshift going around corners or roundabouts can jar a bit, but as the ECU learns or you learn to lean into the throttle slower on turn exit, this problem will resolve.

Hopefully this helps
-W

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Erratic shifting is now prevalent in the upper gears as well now. This tranny just continues to get worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts