Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why I am so unlucky. In my last threat I posted about how the dealership gave me the wrong car and I drove it around for 3 weeks before the dealer figured it out. With the first Atlas, I had a horrible door rattle. The Atlas that is actually mine has multiple issues. First issue, the VW car net doesn't work. The VW car net services could not find a signal in my Atlas and requires dealership attention. Second problem, I have a steering wheel issue that sounds like the the steering will rubs against the column. The dealer said it was my struts and bearings making the sound and the parts have been on order for 2 weeks already. I am second guessing that diagnosis. The sound is coming straight from the steering wheel. The third problem is that my MPH mechanism had to be recalculated. The dealer put 20 inch rims on my Atlas from the 18's and did not re-cal the odometer or whatever they had to calibrate. It was reading 1-2 MPH off. The fourth problem was my fog lights had an issue of not turning on. The last issue was that I had "rail dust" or rail Rust" all over the car. The dealer agreed to take care of the "rail dust/rust" by sending me to their third party contractor for a full detail. During the process of removing all the grime from transport, the detail company put a dent in the car and burned the paint off the front right fender. The contractor denied the mistake and told me to go to the dealer and the dealer paid to get the dent removed and re-paint the fender. The repairs were done today and when I got home I noticed small swirl scratches in the car throughout. I am going to choose to ignore them because you can see them unless you look closely. I have spent the last two days at two different dealers that was 7 hours in the waiting room each day. The last two items that need to be fixed is the steering wheel column being attended to and the VW car net issue. I see why VW has a 6 year/72K warranty. This is the first VW that I have bought and probably the last. If you are reading this and considering a VW, please explore other options. I have never had this many issues with a new car. Consider the Hyundai Palisade or the Chevy Traverse. Both are very comparable in passenger space and cargo room. Out of curiosity, has anyone had these same issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The diameter of the different tires really should be the same , or so close that it wouldnt pick up the difference.... other than that, I hope your state has a lemon law

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first VW (2018 Atlas SE w/ Tech and 4MOTION) as well and although I didnt have the same exact problems, Ive had similar small things popping up that are souring me a bit on the purchase. I bought mine in the summer of 2017, probably one of the first VW Atlas' in all of NJ (I like to think haha) and off the line in Chattanooga! The first week after driving it off the lot in pouring rain, I noticed a windshield wiper leak as I could smell the fluid in the cabin and noticed a pool of it in my garage. Within the first 2 weeks I had to have the whole assembly replaced, said it was a hole in the container holding the fluid from the factory!

Flash forward ~10k miles ahead along with at least 2 recall notices, I start hearing creaking under 10mph and thinking its a suspension issue I take it into the dealer. He says its nothing new, normal sounds. Low and behold hes likely right as the loaner Atlas SEL they gave me with only about ~2k miles on it had the same sounds emanating. Although I wasnt happy with having this sound, it wasnt anything major and seems to present in many Atlas' despite what look like Audi parts !

Just today i took the car into the dealer because car was having trouble starting in cold weather (mind you I am speaking about 25-30F not exactly tundra or subzeo temps) and they had to replace the defective battery! Go figure! Less than 3 years and ive had to take it in countless times for small issues.

Safe to say, although I like the driving experience and size, I am not sure I can recommend the car to other people. I too have only had Honda/Toyota's in the past which have had very minimal issues besides regular maintenance. I'd rather deal with those going forward than this. I hope you dont have any more issues as I know the angst and inconvenience it causes when you should be happy with your expensive purchase!

I don't know why I am so unlucky. In my last threat I posted about how the dealership gave me the wrong car and I drove it around for 3 weeks before the dealer figured it out. With the first Atlas, I had a horrible door rattle. The Atlas that is actually mine has multiple issues. First issue, the VW car net doesn't work. The VW car net services could not find a signal in my Atlas and requires dealership attention. Second problem, I have a steering wheel issue that sounds like the the steering will rubs against the column. The dealer said it was my struts and bearings making the sound and the parts have been on order for 2 weeks already. I am second guessing that diagnosis. The sound is coming straight from the steering wheel. The third problem is that my MPH mechanism had to be recalculated. The dealer put 20 inch rims on my Atlas from the 18's and did not re-cal the odometer or whatever they had to calibrate. It was reading 1-2 MPH off. The fourth problem was my fog lights had an issue of not turning on. The last issue was that I had "rail dust" or rail Rust" all over the car. The dealer agreed to take care of the "rail dust/rust" by sending me to their third party contractor for a full detail. During the process of removing all the grime from transport, the detail company put a dent in the car and burned the paint off the front right fender. The contractor denied the mistake and told me to go to the dealer and the dealer paid to get the dent removed and re-paint the fender. The repairs were done today and when I got home I noticed small swirl scratches in the car throughout. I am going to choose to ignore them because you can see them unless you look closely. I have spent the last two days at two different dealers that was 7 hours in the waiting room each day. The last two items that need to be fixed is the steering wheel column being attended to and the VW car net issue. I see why VW has a 6 year/72K warranty. This is the first VW that I have bought and probably the last. If you are reading this and considering a VW, please explore other options. I have never had this many issues with a new car. Consider the Hyundai Palisade or the Chevy Traverse. Both are very comparable in passenger space and cargo room. Out of curiosity, has anyone had these same issues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts