Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’ve been reading and it sounds like ALOT if people have the same issue...LOUD METAL GRINDING noise in a lower gear. I bought my Atlas 2 weeks ago, brand new. The only way I can describe the noise is like if your car is on and you go to start it again and you get that horrid grinding sound. I talked to a vw dealership and they magically have no idea what I’m talking about. I’m so pissed about this! I traded in a perfect 2018 Subaru Forester for this due to space(growing kids) and now I’m seriously regretting my purchase. Anyone with this problem getting anywhere with VW? (2019 Atlas SE tech)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys! I’ve been reading and it sounds like ALOT if people have the same issue...LOUD METAL GRINDING noise in a lower gear. I bought my Atlas 2 weeks ago, brand new. The only way I can describe the noise is like if your car is on and you go to start it again and you get that horrid grinding sound. I talked to a vw dealership and they magically have no idea what I’m talking about. I’m so pissed about this! I traded in a perfect 2018 Subaru Forester for this due to space(growing kids) and now I’m seriously regretting my purchase. Anyone with this problem getting anywhere with VW? (2019 Atlas SE tech)
Everyone including VW corp says its normal... Mine also makes this noise. Sounds terrible but I haven't bothered with it based on other posts I have seen. Plus, I've had several larger fish to fry with my atlas!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It happens with every single atlas on the road. They say it's normal and due to specific conditions....but is not damaging mechanically. Just search for low speed noise and you'll see many threads about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone including VW corp says its normal... Mine also makes this noise. Sounds terrible but I haven't bothered with it based on other posts I have seen. Plus, I've had several larger fish to fry with my atlas!
Oh no what’s else is going on with your atlas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh no what’s else is going on with your atlas?
There are some really happy owners and some really unhappy ones too. A lot of issues with the atlas as far as I’m concerned. A lot of " its normal" responses from VW fanboys/girls and service depts all around the country. It would have been too many red flags for me to purchase had I found this forum before hand. I was also so tired of buying used vehicles that needed repairs 24 months after purchase. We wanted a nice reliable mid size suv with a great warranty and felt the Atlas met and actually exceeded our expectations initially. BOY WERE WE IN FOR A SHOCK! Over $13k in warranty work within the first year of ownership.

The truly atlas is a really nice car in a lit of regards and even though its been a disaster and complete disappointment, I still considering keeping it at least until the warranty runs out. I flip flop on it daily as to if I am willing to eat large amounts of wasted money in depreciation(resell is awful) and move on or just keep it and enjoy the reasons why we bought it in the first place. .

Here is my experience:

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are some really happy owners and some really unhappy ones too. A lot of issues with the atlas as far as I’m concerned. A lot of " its normal" responses from VW fanboys/girls and service depts all around the country. It would have been too many red flags for me to purchase had I found this forum before hand. I was also so tired of buying used vehicles that needed repairs 24 months after purchase. We wanted a nice reliable mid size suv with a great warranty and felt the Atlas met and actually exceeded our expectations initially. BOY WERE WE IN FOR A SHOCK! Over $13k in warranty work within the first year of ownership.

The truly atlas is a really nice car in a lit of regards and even though its been a disaster and complete disappointment, I still considering keeping it at least until the warranty runs out. I flip flop on it daily as to if I am willing to eat large amounts of wasted money in depreciation(resell is awful) and move on or just keep it and enjoy the reasons why we bought it in the first place. .

Here is my experience:

"We wanted a nice reliable mid size suv with a great warranty..." and you traded in a Subaru?!! They have the new Ascent ! Doesn't anyone on here read Consumer Reports, especially the auto issue? VW is one up from the bottom for reliable cars, just above Cadillac. Thank God I leased mine. I knew going in it was likely to have some problems. We just liked the ride. Rented a 2018 for two months and decided we would give it a try. Troubles started in the first 100 miles and continue. We are at 9,000 and have had it in the shop 6 times. Now the right side blindspot warning is intermittent. They have no idea why. I told them to start replacing parts until it is fixed. Watching the calendar to see when I can get it delcared a lemon under our state law.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"We wanted a nice reliable mid size suv with a great warranty..." and you traded in a Subaru?!! They have the new Ascent ! Doesn't anyone on here read Consumer Reports, especially the auto issue? VW is one up from the bottom for reliable cars, just above Cadillac. Thank God I leased mine. I knew going in it was likely to have some problems. We just liked the ride. Rented a 2018 for two months and decided we would give it a try. Troubles started in the first 100 miles and continue. We are at 9,000 and have had it in the shop 6 times. Now the right side blindspot warning is intermittent. They have no idea why. I told them to start replacing parts until it is fixed. Watching the calendar to see when I can get it delcared a lemon under our state law.
Sorry mate, you lost me the moment you tossed up the Consumer Reports flag. Here's my take. 1993 Plymouth Voyager. car not recommended. Drove car for 18 years. 1990 Honda Accord. CR Best buy. To sum it up in 3 letters. POS. Last straw was the rear bumper fell off the car while sitting in my driveway. 2001 Toyota Sienna. Another CR recommend. @60k miles, it was like owning a GM brand from the 70's. One of the Side boards fell off going down the highway. Eng light and a few hundred dollars couple times a year. Both sliding door handles fell out of the doors. It was on par to burn more oil then the Honda but the Honda smoked more. 😳 My 02 Jeep that I just sold to VW was a better ride then either and it was a Not Recommended by CR. Nuff said about CR. As far as Subaru.Next door neighbor has two late model. Mixed bag. CVTs just suck for power when you need it and more then not, you don't hear much good about them if the driver has a REAL trans. One of his has been in the shop twice since the fall. He is souring on the brand. He asked about my VW. Told him to look elsewhere. He won't be happy. But I am. It fits my needs. I knew what I was getting going in. That's why I still own a Jeep and Chrysler Minivan. I don't let some rag tell me what I SHOULD buy. IMO, my 50k was well spent. Bought it outright alone with the service packages up to 70k miles and a 150k mile 12 year warranty from VW. As you can see, I buy my cars to keep, not as an investment. I have a financial planner for that. 😏

Sorry for typos. Cats seem to need attention during my rant. 😼

·
Super Moderator
335 Posts
Has been discussed here in depth...post is literally just down the page:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts