Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All.

We love our 2019 Atlas SE w/Tech 4motion and Rline pkg (22k miles) but we want to get rid of the loan. We have explored the trading it in but that doesn't seem to be even close to a responsible decision. Has anyone traded in their atlas and if so, what did the dealer give you for it?

Next question, what would a good selling price be private party? KBB and Edmunds seem incredibly low. My local dealer has our exact car in blue with 6k miles on the lost for 37,500 plus fees.( their doc fee is a non negotiable 800)

thanks

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
What do you owe on it? Remember, it's only worth what someone will pay. The dealers' asking prices aren't what folks are paying on the used market - there is substantial mark-up on used cars which makes them ripe for massive negotiation. I'd take the average of the prices I found on Autotrader for your year/model/mileage and start there - remember though, folks expect to pay LESS from a private party sale vs. a dealer so you will be unlikely to get that price. Tough situation on a new car.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What do you owe on it? Remember, it's only worth what someone will pay. The dealers' asking prices aren't what folks are paying on the used market - there is substantial mark-up on used cars which makes them ripe for massive negotiation. I'd take the average of the prices I found on Autotrader for your year/model/mileage and start there - remember though, folks expect to pay LESS from a private party sale vs. a dealer so you will be unlikely to get that price. Tough situation on a new car.
yeah its a tough spot for sure. I know buying a new car is generally a dumb financial decision and buying a new german car is probably one of the worst, but we were so burnt out of repairs on our last SUV?( 2011 escalade) that we made an emotional buy based on the warranty. Our Atlas had a sticker of 44,500 and we ended up being around 40 otd. we owe roughly 37,500. Dealers are hitting it at 28-29k which I feel is absurd so I was thinking about listing for 36k and would take 35 or so.

Worst case scenario we focus on paying it off early in the next 24-36 months. If we went that route Id be sure to purchase the extended warranty to take it to 150k miles before the manufacturer warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
yeah its a tough spot for sure. I know buying a new car is generally a dumb financial decision and buying a new german car is probably one of the worst, but we were so burnt out of repairs on our last SUV?( 2011 escalade) that we made an emotional buy based on the warranty. Our Atlas had a sticker of 44,500 and we ended up being around 40 otd. we owe roughly 37,500. Dealers are hitting it at 28-29k which I feel is absurd so I was thinking about listing for 36k and would take 35 or so.

Worst case scenario we focus on paying it off early in the next 24-36 months. If we went that route Id be sure to purchase the extended warranty to take it to 150k miles before the manufacturer warranty expires.
Buying a new car isn't necessarily "dumb" but can be depending on your situation. One way to look at it is you pay it off and drive it for 10 years to maximize the value of the new car warranty etc./minimize repairs and you spread that depreciation out over a long period so it's not so bad. Buying new cars and trading them every few years...that's a bad move for sure. I'd say VW/German cars are just fine vs. the other brands. 35K for a used vehicle that can be had for nearly that new from a private seller will be v. tough sell and keep in mind your pool of folks that buy cars that way is v. small. I would advise against continued poor financial decisions by buying any other warranties - for the ~$2K that will cost you can just put that in the bank and save it until you need vs. prepaying/gambling that you will need that amount in covered repairs (remember, most of hte things that go wrong with vehicles are going to be wear/tear/not covered by an ext. warranty).

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying a new car isn't necessarily "dumb" but can be depending on your situation. One way to look at it is you pay it off and drive it for 10 years to maximize the value of the new car warranty etc./minimize repairs and you spread that depreciation out over a long period so it's not so bad. Buying new cars and trading them every few years...that's a bad move for sure. I'd say VW/German cars are just fine vs. the other brands. 35K for a used vehicle that can be had for nearly that new from a private seller will be v. tough sell and keep in mind your pool of folks that buy cars that way is v. small. I would advise against continued poor financial decisions by buying any other warranties - for the ~$2K that will cost you can just put that in the bank and save it until you need vs. prepaying/gambling that you will need that amount in covered repairs (remember, most of hte things that go wrong with vehicles are going to be wear/tear/not covered by an ext. warranty).
Good intel and I agree. I mention the warranty because of my ignorance of VW ownership. this is our first. Keeping it and paying off def seems like the best long term option and I totally agree with the price point objection if we try to go private party. We didn't purchase it thinking we would explore selling within the first year. However, I should clarify that exploring getting rid of the loan has nothing to do with affordability, but rather more flexibility. There are a couple big house projects that we want to complete since moving 2 months ago so we are just toying with ideas of freeing up some money. I appreciate your insight very much.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Good intel and I agree. I mention the warranty because of my ignorance of VW ownership. this is our first. Keeping it and paying off def seems like the best long term option and I totally agree with the price point objection if we try to go private party. We didn't purchase it thinking we would explore selling within the first year. However, I should clarify that exploring getting rid of the loan has nothing to do with affordability, but rather more flexibility. There are a couple big house projects that we want to complete since moving 2 months ago so we are just toying with ideas of freeing up some money. I appreciate your insight very much.
For example my most expensive car to own? 2006 Honda Odyssey. Bought used in 2009 and sold in 2018 with ~135K miles. Killed me with repairs north of 100K. My least expensive car to own? 2000 VW Jetta. Bought new in 1999 sold in 2013 with ~220K miles on it. That VW is still running today with my neighbor. The stereotypes of Honda/Toyota being zero to maintain and VW being expensive don't always play out. I just can't imagine eating the depreciation on that Atlas - I've got to think there is a better solution than that and maybe you can just get it paid off! Good luck.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For example my most expensive car to own? 2006 Honda Odyssey. Bought used in 2009 and sold in 2018 with ~135K miles. Killed me with repairs north of 100K. My least expensive car to own? 2000 VW Jetta. Bought new in 1999 sold in 2013 with ~220K miles on it. That VW is still running today with my neighbor. The stereotypes of Honda/Toyota being zero to maintain and VW being expensive don't always play out. I just can't imagine eating the depreciation on that Atlas - I've got to think there is a better solution than that and maybe you can just get it paid off! Good luck.
My wife's escalade killed me on service / repairs from 110-135k miles. oil changes often came with a $1,000 estimate for repairs.

MY 2015 tundra just turned 95k miles and I haven't done a thing to it. 100k mile service is a biggie though and Ill put about 1,000 for plugs and all fluid exchanges.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our 2019 VW Atlas SE officially on the open market

After thinking back and forth on keeping the atlas we have decided to sell it. I am willing to take a substantial loss in order to move this and free up some money. We love the Atlas and I have had 0 issues outside it too techy for me.LOL. Matter of fact I will probably end up with another one at some point. Until then, I will be buying a 6-10k auto once this one sells.

Our sticker price was $44k and I paid around $38,xxx. That also include a few dealer extras of tint, 3m door protector, and paint protection.

The details are as follows:
2019 VW Atlas SE with technology and r line package and 4motion
Located in Charlotte, NC area
25k miles. Mostly highway miles from multiple road trips this summer. Including a 4k mile road trip to Texas and all over the SW.
dark grey with black leatherette. second row bench seating
willing to sell for $33k.
both 10 and 20k service completed by VW of South Charlotte.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good advice! Also, a new study shows that only 54% of extended warranties are ever used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts