Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Owner of a 2018 SEL Premium. Was just locked out. I put my bags in the passenger seat as I always do, key fob was in my bag which I put on the seat. Walk around to the driver's side, all doors lock. Has anyone had this happen? Even the passenger side door that was unlocked when I put the bags in locked. Luckily I was home and had my spare but this has never happened before and this is my daily routine, multiple times a day actually. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi all. Owner of a 2018 SEL Premium. Was just locked out. I put my bags in the passenger seat as I always do, key fob was in my bag which I put on the seat. Walk around to the driver's side, all doors lock. Has anyone had this happen? Even the passenger side door that was unlocked when I put the bags in locked. Luckily I was home and had my spare but this has never happened before and this is my daily routine, multiple times a day actually. Any thoughts?

Never had that happen. It works just like my 2013 Passat did. If you put the key fob in your filler door and close it, the passat, it would pop open (not close completely). But on the Atlas, you can close it, but if you try to lock the doors, it will not lock, from any door. You can lock it with a 2nd fob though. I just tried it to make sure. So I'd say there may be an issue with the battery or the transponder chip in the fob. I'd go with the battery, it's cheaper and easier to replace. But if you can remote lock, start, etc with the one you locked in your car, and you are sure the SPARE isn't close enough to the car to make it think you have one in your pocket, somethings not right. Put the key in your car, with the other fob in your pocket, clock the doors. If they lock, it's picking up the fob in your pocket so it doesn't care about the one in your car. Now, put the fob back where you keep it in your house, does it still lock? If so, move the fob (in the house) farther away. Does it still lock? If it does, there is clearly something wrong with the fob. I'd still go with the battery first. And FWIW, my spare key fob is about 15ft away (if that) in my kitchen and 2 walls away from the car and it does not detect the key enough to let me by pass locking the other fob inside the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I literally just got home from the dealership from leasing my new Atlas. Everything in the passenger seat (including both keys) get out and shut the door and every doors lock on me. Yes, both keys are locked inside the car. VW says the car should not lock with the key inside, well it did. My only option right now is calling roadside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts