Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am going through lifting my 2018 Atlas. The set up is 17x8 fifteen52 Traverse +35 w/10mm wheel spacers to get an offset of +24, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks and BFI 1.5” lift kit. First question anyone with this set up have any tire rubbing issues? Second after the Atlas was lifted did you have to recalibrate the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensors? I have a SE w/Technology, I just want to prepare if I need to do the recalibration. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I am going through lifting my 2018 Atlas. The set up is 17x8 fifteen52 Traverse +35 w/10mm wheel spacers to get an offset of +24, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks and BFI 1.5” lift kit. First question anyone with this set up have any tire rubbing issues? Second after the Atlas was lifted did you have to recalibrate the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensors? I have a SE w/Technology, I just want to prepare if I need to do the recalibration. Thank you!
@Grr02 on your ACC recalibration...no. Everything works great. I did the same updates last year. Check out my post about all I did - Lifted Atlas Picture Thread

A couple notes: if you want that size tire, you will need to get the bft blocks to pull your front wheel-well liners away from the tire (those stock ones are massive and these are easy to install yourself). Even with the blocks, the 265/70r17’s (31.65” diameters) Wildpeaks will have rub until some tread wears down. Someone with a similar set up said to go with 255/70/r17’s (31.06” diameter). That half inch should eliminate rub.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Grr02 on your ACC recalibration...no. Everything works great. I did the same updates last year. Check out my post about all I did - Lifted Atlas Picture Thread

A couple notes: if you want that size tire, you will need to get the bft blocks to pull your front wheel-well liners away from the tire (those stock ones are massive and these are easy to install yourself). Even with the blocks, the 265/70r17’s (31.65” diameters) Wildpeaks will have rub until some tread wears down. Someone with a similar set up said to go with 255/70/r17’s (31.06” diameter). That half inch should eliminate rub.

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Best of luck!
thank you! I was sweating that I needed a ACC recalibration cause it will cause me $800-$1000 to redo e’m. I love in CA so services/parts are always doubled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Prattagain! So for all Atlas owners wanting to lift your Atlas. Here are my experiences and total cost for doing this project. Based on result I am so happy with my set up. What I purchased and the cost for the services. I live in Northern California and you know the prices here is outrages, but a little research and negotiating. So the total set up will run you at $2800ish...

BTW, with the lift it DID NOT affect the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) Sensors... SO that is a good one, if it did it would have cost $800-$1200...

• BFI (Black Forrest Industries) 1.5” lift kit @ $299.99, i picked this over Forge cause it’s Metal alloy vs. Forge it’s hard plastic/rubber.
  • Fifteen52 TraverseMX Wheels 17x8 +34 Orig from VW. I added 15mm spacers to be close to Base Camp Specs of ET+20. My set up is at ET+19 @ $1000 w/10% rebate from VW if purchased from a VW parts dealer.
  • Falcon Wildpeak A/T 3 @ 162.00 total with mount, certificates, etc...$900. I got the P-Metric or Standard vs. E1’s since it’s lighter and better on gas for a large tire. I am an occasional Off Roud guy and not a rock climber. No sense of buying a E1, heavy 10 ply tire...
  • CTM 15mm 5x112 HUB CENTRIC 57.1MM Bore spacers w/ball seat lugs 14x1.5, 45mm length. Recommended for 15mm spacers @ $100 through EBay. This is a 4pc spacer set with 20 lugs. Good PRICE!
  • Lift kit install w/Alignment @ $500 out the door.
  • 14x1.5, 45mm Wheel Locks @ $43ish through ECStuning

The ride is smooth and it’s like stock, that is the difference with lift vs. raised H&R springs. Springs has a little rougher ride since it’s firm. I say there is a little rubbing that you can barely hear it and only experience when I turn into my drive way pretty aggressive. NOT DOING THAT anymore... On the freeway the tires are not loud, the noise compares to my old stock 245/60/18. At lower speeds below 30 you can barely hear the tire noise. So here it is, thank you to this community for providing lots of info. Hope my info is useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to post my newly lifted setup here because this post guided my purchase decision.

Setup
  • 2018 VW atlas SE 4-motion with tech and tow package.
  • fifteen52 traverse MX 17x8 20mm offset, frost graphite although I am sure these are the magnesium colored version.
  • Falken wildpeak AT/3 255/70/17.
  • H & R adventure lift springs.

Location Maryland

Installation
I purchased the springs first and had them installed by a local shop. The front increased 1” and the back 1 1/4”.

It was extremely difficult finding a shop to agree to the installation. A few that I called said they would not touch VWs, another said they wouldn’t agree to the installation unless I would pay for a post calibration of $600. Two shops had me drop it off for hours only to call me and tell me that they did not have the tools for front installation.

Finally, I found a shop that charged me $810, installation + awd alignment. I got desperate in the end after calling the only 2 nearby off road shops that claimed they wouldn’t be able to do the installation for several weeks.

Springs with shipping from tire rack = $269

The springs are stiff resulting in a slightly harsher ride which is what we wanted. We tow a 3,000 lb dry weight Taxa trailer, and the H &R made an improvement in the handling and reduced rear sag. The next goal was to not have to use a 1” rise hitch mount, but hopefully be able to use the gen-y glider torsion hitch with a 2” drop.

Next, placed a special order with discount tires in West Virginia, closes to me, for a wheel+tire package. Got them installed this week, and although the receipt says frost graphite the color does not seem right.
Installation, certificate, tires, wheels, bolts 2,090 with 10% veteran discount, Hence why I drove 3 hours round trip.

Driving Experience

There is a humming sound from the tires starting at around 40 mph. Tires at 35psi seemed like they added more suspension to the ride thus the Atlas does not feel as harsh anymore with just the spring upgrade. Steering feels softer, not good nor bad, but noticeable especially at speeds of 60-70mph. Acceleration feels sluggish but since when not towing we use eco mode, normal mode seemed to help.

I did experience minor rub when turning into our drive way.

MPG loss

I need more data but it seems like I slashed 1.5 average mpg.

This is subjective but I love the look and I am looking forward to towing with this new setup along with beach camping.

Total cost = $3,169, had to convince the wife but the other option was trading the Atlas for a Nissan Armada for the towing capacity and body on frame, I.e., weight distribution hitch.

This forum helped me gain a wealth of knowledge. I still wonder, what are people doing about the spare tire situation since the compact one is about 4-5” smaller in diameter compared to these all terrain tires.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts