Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Leaking sunroof fix released by VW on 12/02/2019

17K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KarstGeo 
#1 ·
Just went in for the 1yr/10k oil change on my 2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion. As I have reported before, the Atlas leaks when rains, due to design flaw with the drains around the sunroof (see photo). Anyhow, the dealer allegedly fixed this problem today, implementing a factory recall that VW implemented on Monday this week. I will report back if this fix fails to resolve the leaking.
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Rim Car

See less See more
#2 ·
Does it include a new headliner for you? Looks like yours is stained...
Anyway, it should.

We have had our Atlas for 3 months now but it has not seen much rain, and it is in the garage when parked at home.
However our previous car, a '17 Tiguan with the pano roof, developed a leak due to drain issues. (This car was only garaged about half the time)
The issue here was water was collecting in the spare tire compartment in the trunk, like, a lot.
Enough to fog the windows on the inside of the car and trap moisture under the rubber mats.
They ended up fixing the drains under warranty, as well as giving us a new headliner and all new carpets.

#4 ·
The drains should be cleaned out once year - I did mine recently, pretty easy and posted up some details on the Atlas FB page. Basically just poured water down them and made sure they were flowing freely and blew them out with compressed air/used a piece of trimmer line to make sure they were clear. 2 years/no drama on ours. Pano sunroof leaks are a VW specialty...just search for the Alltrack pano leaks...way worse than the Atlas. I'd say it's not a recall (those are typically a safety issue/get something in the mail), more of either a 1) service campaign or more likely 2) a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.