Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lane assist stays glued to the right line, way too close for comfort. It never centers in the lane. Even if I'm all the way left, it will move quickly to the right until my right mirror is nearly directly over the right line.

Anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
The lane assist is just to nudge you off the lane boundary lines - not drive itself. Maybe yours needs an alignment?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Correct. Lane Keep Assist is not a "self driving" mode. It just nudges you back into your lane if you drift too close to either lane line. Think of it more like bumper bowling for little kids than self driving.

That being said....if you want it to keep you centered you "can" tweak the system with OBDeleven to do just that.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Long coding
Control unit: A5 Front Sensors Driver Assistance System
Values:
Point_of_intervention:
Old value: late
New value: early (setting via menu)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long coding
Values:
Point_of_intervention:
I dont understand... where can I set that? And what does it do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long coding
Values:
Point_of_intervention:
Did some searching and it looks like to change this setting I need a Windows app called VCDS. No idea where to get or how to connect into the Atlas with it. Anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My lane assist stays glued to the right line, way too close for comfort. It never centers in the lane. Even if I'm all the way left, it will move quickly to the right until my right mirror is nearly directly over the right line.

Anyone else?
Yes, mine does the same. I’ve turned it off bc not too thrilled about riding the right line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What ever became of this?
Lane assist acting up
See my exact issue in the link above. Summary is:

My lane assist tends to always pull to the left. I had an alignment TWICE and the entice ACC system including cameras recalibrated at the dealer. Not much difference.

Riding with the tech he tells me its working normal but I am able to show him how it tends to always go left and really ride the left line. In fact, on occasion it will really pull left and make it hard for me to center in the lane. This is WHILE I AM HOLDING THE WHEEL. It is like i have to constantly hold a very firm grip and force the wheel to keep the car centered in the lane. A loose grip and it will rip the wheel out of my hands and pull it left. Often it wont just ride the left line, but put the left wheels about a foot over the line. It does this in the left, middle, right lane. Seems to be hit or miss when it actually holds me in the lane well enough to avoid an accident. This is also all experienced by me letting go of the wheel for moments to see how well the acc responds IF I was distracted driving. In this instance it will SHOOT over fast and often totally jump the line and go in the next lane.

I tend to shut it off since it makes it harder to drive when there is traffic on the highway.

Do any of you experience this?

just bumping this back up. It just isn't right. I have since shut off lane assist. It really jerked the wheel over to the left the other day. I let go of the wheel while in the right lane to see what it would do, and the car shot over 2 lanes to the left, not gradually, but fast. The tech tried telling me it's the crown in the road causing the left drift, but in the right lane the crown would cause it to drift right. PLUS, this isn't a mild drift like the tires were worn on one side. It is a significant pull of the steeling wheel. What sucks is it is not always so dramatic. It usually is just a mild drift always nudging to the left and favoring to be on the left side of a lane. I think the lane assist is just an accident waiting to happen. I tried to exit the highway yesterday and the lane assist jerked the wheel back into traffic. Yes, I didn't use a turn signal....

Mine all began when they put in a new steering rack to get rid of a clickity clacking noise when turning. They also put in a new clock spring because it was noise as well. They re-calibrated the cameras for ACC and re-aligned it. Claimed it is normally NOT included in a rack change and it cost a few thousand. They ended up doing it for free. During the test drive the tech swore it was working properly. I noticed no change at all. Figured I would live with it for a while. I am now sick of it. Thinking about going to a new dealer. What sucks is sometimes it is not that bad at all, I feel like a problematic customer complaining and admit I am being picky. Other times it is downright dangerous. Of course it never is dangerous when the tech is in the car....

BTW, I would NOT use vagcom to re-code this. There is something obviously wrong. VW will NEVER address it if you code the module differently. I would use it as a very very last resort. If you sell or trade the car or even let someone else drive I would code it back. I can just see this as causing an accident and you being blamed for causing it by changing the coding. Just turn of ACC until it is solved. I am not very optimistic about the fix though...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts