Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or anyone else feel this forum is not getting much traction? there are only 1.7k members with 7.4k posts. in contrast, similar Subaru Ascent Forum has over 7.4k members with 81k posts. both cars being released in the same year. even telluride forums for car that was released in 20 has over 10k members and 59k posts.

Sales figures show many more Atlas sold compare to Ascent. Would this be due to fleet sales on the Atlas? i also noticed may people cross post over at vortex so is this about fragmentation?

Ascent = 118k
2019 81,958
2018 36,211

Atlas = 168k

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you spend any time on the Atlas subforum on vwvortex?
yes that is what i mean...i would prefer a dedicated site to a sub on another for obvious reasons. besides, i like the format of this site better than vortex. don't know how many registered members are over there but don't like to go back and forth and would be nice to have one main place for discussion.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
is it just me or anyone else feel this forum is not getting much traction?
Just a guess, but are Subaru Ascents more of an outdoorsy enthusiast vehicle that is equally owned or driven by men as women? Or maybe more driven by men? I would venture to say that the Atlas is more owned or driven by women, and generally speaking, women tend to be less automobile enthusiast oriented. Car forums tend to be populated by car enthusiasts. The Atlas is not really an enthusiast vehicle - it's more of a basic three-row soccer Mom vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe ascent an enthusiast vehicle ? but it does seem there there is a that certain following for anything subaru. there does seem to be consensus atlas being more driven by women and in fact wife drives it. but i still like to participate so there's that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bet is cult following...Subi volks are generally into their cars (and nothing wrong with that). I am a Clubtouareg member and it seems a large number of those members are TDI volks...another cult following--- I feel like after dieselgate and after cutting the Touareg from the US (after purchasing many of the TDI's) that forum has slowed down and become less interesting as most of the posts seemed TDI related in many ways.

With the Atlas or VW in general, it doesn't seem to have that following. I am a VW lifer and we have a VW family of cars, but seems like there are not as many of us on at Atlas forum versus vortex or clubtouareg.

Not taking away from the Atlas being a great vehicle, it just doesn't have any coattails to ride on.

Lastly, I see more VW Atlas vehicles than Subaru's Ascents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's gonna take at least 2-3 years for the Atlas to get a real following, problem is most people on forums are people who mod their cars but there just are not enough parts available. As someone who has been modding a Atlas I can tell you its hard to find parts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
is it just me or anyone else feel this forum is not getting much traction? there are only 1.7k members with 7.4k posts. in contrast, similar Subaru Ascent Forum has over 7.4k members with 81k posts. both cars being released in the same year. even telluride forums for car that was released in 20 has over 10k members and 59k posts.

Sales figures show many more Atlas sold compare to Ascent. Would this be due to fleet sales on the Atlas? i also noticed may people cross post over at vortex so is this about fragmentation?

Ascent = 118k
2019 81,958
2018 36,211

Atlas = 168k

Maybe people in the Atlas forum have a life? Don't need to make ourselves justify our purchases or don't feel we need to brag or complain? Don't know. At least the Jeep forum is not like that. I was in a TDi forum for the Passat for 3 years. Not once did I guage the car to how many posts it had. I'm also on a Jeep liberty forum because for years, I owned 2 even though there are more forums on Jeeps then crv Rav or all Bru's combined. It's a good place to share info and experiences. I feel the same way about the Atlas forum. Good place to share and find out things. But in all honesty, forums on CRV RAV, Bru's are no more exciting then a minivan forum. 😳

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just a guess, but are Subaru Ascents more of an outdoorsy enthusiast vehicle that is equally owned or driven by men as women? Or maybe more driven by men? I would venture to say that the Atlas is more owned or driven by women, and generally speaking, women tend to be less automobile enthusiast oriented. Car forums tend to be populated by car enthusiasts. The Atlas is not really an enthusiast vehicle - it's more of a basic three-row soccer Mom vehicle.
Too funny. That's old school. Soccer mom cars switched to Yukons Suberbans and Tahoes in the mid 2000's with the station wagons in disguise CRV RAV and Escapes right behind Subarus. Now they show up in Mustangs and Challenger's. The Hellcat or SRT type. On cloudy days, they drag the Rubicon out of the garage. 😏 But never fails. When it's time for an away game, everyone piles into the minivan. 🤪

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
Soccer mom cars switched to Yukons Suberbans and Tahoes in the mid 2000's
Actually, Suburbans became the defacto Soccer Mom car in the mid-late 90's - trust me, my wife was a Suburban driving Soccer Mom then. As Suburbans got so pricey 7-10 years ago, the 4-door Jeep Wrangler (at least in my area) became the new Soccer Mom vehicle, despite not having a third row. Now with 4-door Wranglers getting more expensive, there could be a new Soccer Mom car dominating the next 5 years. The Atlas has the right price point and configuration to step in that role, but I'm not sure VW NA marketing is good enough to capitalize on it.

Reactions: tc1uscg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still don't feel we've hit the nail on the head on this one... obviously there are many owners out there judging by those that only register to post issues. guess folks are just not as passionate about atlas compared to others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts