Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone figure out how to close the tailgate by kicking under the bumper? I know opening it is supported but it's often useful to be able to close it handsfree as well (e.g. when both hands are carrying stuff).

Many other cars support this (BMW x5, Audi Q5) but it doesn't work on our 2018 Atlas SEL. If not supported by default, anyone able to code it or something?

·
Registered
253 Posts
No. I've searched through looking for any coding that might do it but never came across anything. It's tough considering everything is in german so it's possible it is in there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
861 Posts
That is not how it works - can't do that. I dug deep in coding kick to close using OBDEleven but no luck. Bummer b/c I too would like this feature. You can close with the fob if you stand back.

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
Im pretty sure that mine 18 SEL has the kick to close however sometimes it seems the kick part doesnt work all the time. It seems like its a hit or miss. I can check the coding and see if there is a difference or not.

·
Super Moderator
861 Posts
Im pretty sure that mine 18 SEL has the kick to close however sometimes it seems the kick part doesnt work all the time. It seems like its a hit or miss. I can check the coding and see if there is a difference or not.
You have kick to open, not kick to close.

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
You have kick to open, not kick to close.
I will check however now that you say that I think you might be right. Gosh I need to drive this thing more. The wife just hoards it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone figure out how to close the tailgate by kicking under the bumper? I know opening it is supported but it's often useful to be able to close it handsfree as well (e.g. when both hands are carrying stuff).

Many other cars support this (BMW x5, Audi Q5) but it doesn't work on our 2018 Atlas SEL. If not supported by default, anyone able to code it or something?
I have an 2019 R-line SEL and mine has it, but it works sometimes and not others. Pretty frustrating as when my hands are full and kick under rear it doesn't always work. Don't know why and the dealership is no help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would be nice if they put a light target for where you kick like some other brands. Ours works most of the time without issue though.

·
Super Moderator
861 Posts
Would be nice if they put a light target for where you kick like some other brands. Ours works most of the time without issue though.
If I recall correctly, you can pretty much kick anywhere. The thing folks don't do correctly is retract their foot fully and that's why folks will tell you to take a step back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you kick forward and and back just to the right of the trailer hitch receiver it works 90% of the time. I was kicking all over back and forth side to side and found this seems to be the most reliable. Remember to step back once you see the light flash and hear the beep or it will hit you in the face when it opens.

Video tutorial on VW's Youtube channel shows opening with the kick feature but closing requires pushing the button on the door or remote. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts