Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to buy a 2019 SE with Tech last weekend until my son started sending me all these emails from dissatisfied Atlas owners. It sort of took the wind out of my sails when that happened. Now I am in limbo. I read that most issues were related to 2018's and some to 2019's. I really like the Atlas. With a 6 year warranty, is the 2019 Atlas such a bad vehicle? Are 2020's better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased an SEL Premium I have around 400 miles on it now, started at 25 and happy so far. I think some people will always have the bad one out of the bunch on any car brand. It is definitely a gamble but I guarantee there are more happy people then upset. Or else they would have pull the SUV from sale and it would have been on the news like the Ford focus. I should know I had a focus lol but luckily it was a M/T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback. 25 mpg that's terrific! I need to decide what I want to do. I see new 2019's with almost $10K off. Very tempting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Is the Atlas that bad?"

No. Not at all.
However I can understand that it can be a little unnerving to hop on one of these forums and see thread after thread of problems.
But in all reality it is a VERY small percentage of Atlas owners.
I think people tend to find this place when they are searching the internet for issues, which then causes them to join and post about their issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Vbrad. I am back on the Atlas search. I was just reading about the 2021 which is three inches longer which I think is insane.
I live in NJ and the new 2019 Atlas prices are much higher than a 100 mile trip to Maryland, so I guess a road trip is in the near future.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My SEL W/ 4Motion was built 7/19 took delivery 9/19 1,100 no issues miles, no squeaks, rattles or anything !

Came out after a dinner and smelt coolant, it was the unit parked next to me late model Highlander.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2019 Atlas SEL Premium on October 19th, 2019 and currently have nearly 4,000 miles on the clock. We did a long road trip to Arizona from Colorado and the car is absolutely amazing. Absolutely no issues so far and the build quality is excellent. My wife and I love the car. And the sales figures for the Atlas have been really good. For me the 6 year 72,000 mile warranty is winner! I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was planning to buy a 2019 SE with Tech last weekend until my son started sending me all these emails from dissatisfied Atlas owners. It sort of took the wind out of my sails when that happened. Now I am in limbo. I read that most issues were related to 2018's and some to 2019's. I really like the Atlas. With a 6 year warranty, is the 2019 Atlas such a bad vehicle? Are 2020's better?
We've had our 2019 SE w/ Tech (R-Line) just over a year. 21k miles on it already, and we love it! Towed a pop up camper (maybe 2,000 lbs), and didn't even know it was back there. We put a Thule case on top and with the dog, we can go anywhere, with loads of gear. Has done great in the snow - we plain love it! We'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're shopping Atlas too. Frankly "cheap" interior is relative. I don't mind the minimalist appearance of the interior and think the exterior is more appealing than many other comparable models. The issue I'm having on being sold with with mechanical reliability/problems. I see the 2021 should be available in a couple months.

Any thoughts as to VW taking all the "mistakes" from the the first run of production and fixing a lot of the issues or is it just 3" longer with new drive train options?

·
Super Moderator
335 Posts
If you are going to go online to determine a vehicle's reliability based on forums/FB pages, you won't buy any vehicle. This is biased to the negative for sure - how many people come online to tell you they drove their car that day and nothing happened? People come to forums like this/FB pages to seek guidance/help when they have problems. The Atlas is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are going to go online to determine a vehicle's reliability based on forums/FB pages, you won't buy any vehicle. This is biased to the negative for sure - how many people come online to tell you they drove their car that day and nothing happened? People come to forums like this/FB pages to seek guidance/help when they have problems. The Atlas is fine.
yes this is very true. Ironically everyone we have talking to in person about their Atlas has loved it. Family and a couple friends haven't said "WE ABSOLUTELY WOULDN'T BUY AGAIN STAY AWAY"
either way I think waiting for the 21 will be beneficial. we lose some warranty coverage as VW is reducing their policy length but we can keep that as a trade in deadline if need be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We love our 2019 Atlas SE V6 4Motion with Tech. It drives like a dream. With that said I'm glad we leased it and can return it at the end of our lease. Just too many issues. My issues started at less than 100 miles with a fuel system pressurization pump failure. Then 100 miles later it was the Adaptive Cruise needed to be reset. Then nosies in front end required major rebuild of front end that took a week. Bad door speaker and also radio issues. Consumer Reports rates VW as the next to the last manufacturer for reliability. If you really want one, lease it and see what kind of issues you have. To give you some idea of a lease cost, MSRP on ours was just over $41,000. After $1,000 down it was $470 per month for 39 months and that was in January 2019. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We love our 2019 Atlas SE V6 4Motion with Tech. It drives like a dream. With that said I'm glad we leased it and can return it at the end of our lease. Just too many issues. My issues started at less than 100 miles with a fuel system pressurization pump failure. Then 100 miles later it was the Adaptive Cruise needed to be reset. Then nosies in front end required major rebuild of front end that took a week. Bad door speaker and also radio issues. Consumer Reports rates VW as the next to the last manufacturer for reliability. If you really want one, lease it and see what kind of issues you have. To give you some idea of a lease cost, MSRP on ours was just over $41,000. After $1,000 down it was $470 per month for 39 months and that was in January 2019. Good luck.
I picked up my 2019 SE w/Tech 4 Motion yesterday. Tourmaline Blue/Titan Black interior. Pretty sweet!

·
Registered
124 Posts
As others have said, there's not a manufacturer out there in any business who doesn't produce a few lemons. Some more than others for sure. And it is human nature to complain when things go wrong far more than to praise when things are right. So you have forums like this where every third post is about a piece of junk, the worst I've ever owned, and I'll never buy one again. For every one of those there are likely thousands of people who simply drive theirs every day without issue.
Is the atlas perfect? No way. Do I like mine? Yes I do. I've had it for 7mo and the previous owner had it for a year without any reported issues. It makes that terrible noise in 3rd gear, but I can live with it (though I'd love if they just fixed it). And it smells like coolant but I have no obvious leaks. I'll get it checked and hopefully they can address it. There are small things I wish it had or did better, but aside from that, I'm satisfied with the vehicle as it meets all the other needs of my family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts