Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a 2019 Atlas 4motion with a factory installed tow package. I got a Curt 7 pin connector and a Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller which plugs in line with the 7 pin connector off the back bumper. I had no power to the trailer so a after metering the plug we found it dead. Today I went to the dealer and diagnostics showed a controller inside a body panel blew yesterday probably due to me hooking up one of the two items. Covered under warranty 0:).

Now it gets a bit weird. The dealer thinks I don’t need a brake controller cause the Atlas has one mounted inside the body by the 3rd row seats. However there is no documentation in the owners manual. Also VW of America says it doesn’t exist. Not sure why a brake board would be mounted by the 3rd row seats if not.

Also I just can’t believe the Curt Echo unit blew the unit. I got it cause there is no alteration to the wiring harness or bolting a unit to your dashboard.

If anyone has had experience with this please respond. I’m in limbo on what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is weird, but here's my story. went last weekend to pick up my travel trailer 5 hours away. bought a tekonsha P3 and went to hardwire it in. get it hooked up and there's no power. my Audi tech buddy says I must have shorted it and blown a fuse when the factory connector was cut. every fuse checked and continuity tested with a multimeter and was good. I was dumbfounded but have also heard the brake controller harness fuse was hidden somewhere not listed normally, what gives with that??

so in the pinch with no tekonsha, I borrowed a Curt Echo...plugged right in, setup in seconds and was on our way, it worked just fine even with a blown brake harness fuse.

I just got the atlas fixed this week, dealer confirmed it was a blown fuse but did not document which one or where its located in the service notes. they said normally blown fuses are not covered under warranty but they would handle it in this case. I still can't even prove to myself that I was the one who blew this fuse either.

as far as the integrated brake controller in the 3rd row, that's the first time I've ever heard anything about that!

Hi, I just purchased a 2019 Atlas 4motion with a factory installed tow package. I got a Curt 7 pin connector and a Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller which plugs in line with the 7 pin connector off the back bumper. I had no power to the trailer so a after metering the plug we found it dead. Today I went to the dealer and diagnostics showed a controller inside a body panel blew yesterday probably due to me hooking up one of the two items. Covered under warranty

Now it gets a bit weird. The dealer thinks I don’t need a brake controller cause the Atlas has one mounted inside the body by the 3rd row seats. However there is no documentation in the owners manual. Also VW of America says it doesn’t exist. Not sure why a brake board would be mounted by the 3rd row seats if not.

Also I just can’t believe the Curt Echo unit blew the unit. I got it cause there is no alteration to the wiring harness or bolting a unit to your dashboard.

If anyone has had experience with this please respond. I’m in limbo on what to do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a 2019 Atlas 4motion with a factory installed tow package. I got a Curt 7 pin connector and a Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller which plugs in line with the 7 pin connector off the back bumper. I had no power to the trailer so a after metering the plug we found it dead. Today I went to the dealer and diagnostics showed a controller inside a body panel blew yesterday probably due to me hooking up one of the two items. Covered under warranty 0:).

Can you provide a picture of where it's at? Is it behind the plastic or out in the open?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts