Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. The family is growing so I'm currently shopping around for a new 7 seater SUV. I've been looking at both the Atlas and the new Subaru Ascent. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews/opinions on the Atlas, so I'm curious what owners have to say about it so far. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a current Subaru owner, switching (again) to a VW. Just like you I was interested in a larger family SUV with a 3rd row seat considering pretty much the Accent, or Atlas. The ascent was way more expensive for a similar trim level. I (think) I was able to get the Atlas at an incredible price , and it would have done the same job for me as the Ascent. Keep in mind, the 3rd row seat is way bigger in the Atlas. In addition, A big selling point was the 6 year full warranty on the Atlas. (I financed the car).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Nick! I am having a hard time justifying spending more on the Ascent just for the badge, and I'm a bit skeptical of its four cylinder turbo for such a large SUV and CVT's are ugh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be skeptical as well. Massive vehicle + 4cyl turbo + CVT = higher maintenance costs imo. Just the weight and power load on that poor CVT makes me cringe.. Although I will say around town that CVT behaves well

·
Registered
256 Posts
I hope you had a chance to drive what competes with the Ascent because its only in that experience where you can tell for yourself what really suit your needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New guy here, picking up our Atlas SEL Premium up tomorrow. We also were highly considering the Ascent, before test driving the Atlas and that sealed the deal. I was looking at top trims from both manufacturers, also for 6 passenger seating (captains chairs), and it came down to:

- Getting a better deal on the VW, as it was the last 2018 the dealership had
- The third row is so much larger
- The tilt (car seat friendly) second row for third row entrance was a huge plus for us
- The truck like seating, yet handling was so much better... drives very small
- Plenty of top trim features not available on the Ascent
- Dealership experience was stellar (coming from a Lexus guy), to compare Subaru was terrible

Good luck on those trying to decide which suits them better!

·
Registered
256 Posts
New guy here, picking up our Atlas SEL Premium up tomorrow. We also were highly considering the Ascent, before test driving the Atlas and that sealed the deal. I was looking at top trims from both manufacturers, also for 6 passenger seating (captains chairs), and it came down to:

- Getting a better deal on the VW, as it was the last 2018 the dealership had
- The third row is so much larger
- The tilt (car seat friendly) second row for third row entrance was a huge plus for us
- The truck like seating, yet handling was so much better... drives very small
- Plenty of top trim features not available on the Ascent
- Dealership experience was stellar (coming from a Lexus guy), to compare Subaru was terrible

Good luck on those trying to decide which suits them better!
Welcome.

Great insight, its always why I like coming to forums because when making a sound buying decision, perspective is everything. Communities like this bring perspectives and experiences together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts