Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a used vehicle and "thought" I wanted an Atlas... but now, after researching and looking through the Complaints, Issues & Problems section, I am 2nd guessing everything!!! I have been looking at SE w/Tech, SEL, R-line or Premium USED...

Seems like a ton of "potential" issues...
-Would buying a 2018 be an absolute mistake?!? But maybe 2019's are better?
-Does it matter WHEN the car was made? Or WHERE it was made?
-Is there a way to verify if appropriate recalls/problems have been performed on the vehicle I would be potentially buying?
-What are the questions I should definetly be asking BEFORE I buy?

Help a newbie out... Thanks all!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mr_Sweets (y)

Personally I waited for a '19 as I caught wind the warranty would be extended and I love it NO-ISSUES...Period !

You can go to any vehicle forum and clearly see that the negative comments are far more then the positive ones ;)

What I do not understand is why some who have moved on keep coming back :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Mr_Sweets (y)

Personally I waited for a '19 as I caught wind the warranty would be extended and I love it NO-ISSUES...Period !

You can go to any vehicle forum and clearly see that the negative comments are far more then the positive ones ;)

What I do not understand is why some who have moved on keep coming back :unsure:
Thanks for the repsonse! Is there a way or website you can search certain VIN#'s to make sure when they were built, and if they are OK? Any pitfalls to watch out for here? (ie. Atlas's built before 6/19 = BAD , 7/19 & after = GOOD) ?

·
Banned
109 Posts
Don’t do it. They are pretty, the interior space is great but they are extremely underpowered and extremely unreliable. And it will cost you thousands in lost money if you want to get rid of that bad decision because resale is also horrendous. I kept my profile on here to simply warn potential buyers of a huge financial mistake. We bought a brand new 19 and it was terrible. Before the issues started we actually recommended the atlas to friends who were going to buy a q7. They ended up with and SEL rline and guess what, now they are having coolant issues.

You can go to any forum and find complaints. The difference is VW has WAAAAAY more bad production vehicles than most any other manufacturer and they are a terrible shady company that couldn’t care less about the customer. Also, the atlas has been consistently ranked towards the bottom on the most important category in auto ownership- RELIABILITY! Those aren’t the facts from just one guy that VW screwed, those are the facts from reputable review companies. Check car faxes of the used ones in your area. I bet you will find major issues but not limited to coolant system, catalytic converter, suspension, faulty push button starts, and endless software issues just to name a few. Our atlas would randomly slam on the brakes when a car beside us would turn right -kind of a huge deal! Of course Vw can never replicate and just told us it as normal like they said about everything else that needed fixed including the complete engine rebuild and transfer case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mr Sweets, I have a 2019 w/Tech. It was built in December 2019. I have had no issues with my car. Prior to buying. I was also turned off by the negative comments, but in the end with over $8k off list, all the tech and safety features that I wanted and a six year warranty, it was my best choice..The best feature for ime s the ride, very smooth and a good highway worthy vehicle to travel between my homes in NJ and Florida

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr Sweets, I have a 2019 w/Tech. It was built in December 2019. I have had no issues with my car. Prior to buying. I was also turned off by the negative comments, but in the end with over $8k off list, all the tech and safety features that I wanted and a six year warranty, it was my best choice..The best feature for ime s the ride, very smooth and a good highway worthy vehicle to travel between my homes in NJ and Florida
Thanks Barry. I am looking for used (pre-owned).. so I am not sure I can get a six year warranty right? What is the standard warranty for an Atlas? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
Expecting to come online to a forum or FB page and see anything less than a huge amount of negativity/complaints on a non-enthusiast vehicle like the Atlas is just not reasonable. The overwhelming data will support, if you could get it, that the vast majority of owners have a good experience or only minor issues that are fixed. The larger issues you see are not the majority and happen with all makes/models - I will not try to hide that VW has never been a top brand w/r to reliability compared to say Toyota. You take a risk anytime you buy a new car, period. The most vocal folks are always those that are unhappy with their vehicle. I have a post on the Atlas FB page that I bump every so often called "I drove my Atlas today and nothing happened...is that ok?"...

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
Don’t do it. They are pretty, the interior space is great but they are extremely underpowered and extremely unreliable. And it will cost you thousands in lost money if you want to get rid of that bad decision because resale is also horrendous. I kept my profile on here to simply warn potential buyers of a huge financial mistake. We bought a brand new 19 and it was terrible. Before the issues started we actually recommended the atlas to friends who were going to buy a q7. They ended up with and SEL rline and guess what, now they are having coolant issues.

You can go to any forum and find complaints. The difference is VW has WAAAAAY more bad production vehicles than most any other manufacturer and they are a terrible shady company that couldn’t care less about the customer. Also, the atlas has been consistently ranked towards the bottom on the most important category in auto ownership- RELIABILITY! Those aren’t the facts from just one guy that VW screwed, those are the facts from reputable review companies. Check car faxes of the used ones in your area. I bet you will find major issues but not limited to coolant system, catalytic converter, suspension, faulty push button starts, and endless software issues just to name a few. Our atlas would randomly slam on the brakes when a car beside us would turn right -kind of a huge deal! Of course Vw can never replicate and just told us it as normal like they said about everything else that needed fixed including the complete engine rebuild and transfer case.
Why are you still here? Can the negative BS or your'e gone. Warned.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Why are you still here? Can the negative BS or your'e gone. Warned.
Lol. Warn all you want. The Truth stands and the reliability ratings will continue to plummet the longer it’s on the market. The only positive posts that ever come on this forum are from you and like 2-3 other people. Everyone else is simply here to ask about issues on their brand new car or post about worthless mods but you can spin it how you want since you are a mighty moderator.

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
At some point, you have to use these forums as they are intended - to exchange info, share experiences, research upgrades, etc. Selling off your vehicle that you had a bad experience with then coming back to a forum and posting negative bits about your experience under everyone's posts is not part of this and degrades the experience for others. The Atlas is not an enthusiast vehicle - not a lot of folks upgrading them etc. so these forums will be mainly used for folks seeking help with issues which gives the overall impression that "they all have problems" when the reality is not so bleak. Many owners are not "car people" so it's understood that many will have small issues that are often seen as much larger concerns. The point of being a moderator is just this - to manage the conversation to the extent possible for the forum owner.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
At some point, you have to use these forums as they are intended - to exchange info, share experiences, research upgrades, etc. Selling off your vehicle that you had a bad experience with then coming back to a forum and posting negative bits about your experience under everyone's posts is not part of this and degrades the experience for others. The Atlas is not an enthusiast vehicle - not a lot of folks upgrading them etc. so these forums will be mainly used for folks seeking help with issues which gives the overall impression that "they all have problems" when the reality is not so bleak. Many owners are not "car people" so it's understood that many will have small issues that are often seen as much larger concerns. The point of being a moderator is just this - to manage the conversation to the extent possible for the forum owner.
Agreed. I've been a Super Moderator on a Verticalscope forum for more than 10 years. VS is a profit making company. They don't own these forums to enable trolls to vent and degrade the members' experience. Constructive criticism is one thing. Trolling is a whole different animal. Never hesitate to #banthetroll

Reactions: untergeek

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife and I bought a 2019 SEL Premium March 2019. I just hit 24,000 miles on it this week. Let me give you the highlights.

1. I added aftermarket mudflaps, as I live in the Rockies and there is a lot of snow. They helped, but the right rear add-on cracked at some point. There is no damage to the car from this.
2. I have taken my Atlas in to the dealer for oil changes at the expected intervals. No surprises, no "we found this wrong and you need to pay..." It's been a delight.
3. I have taken my Atlas in to the dealer for 3 recalls (headlight adjuster caps, catalytic converter engine computer update, sunroof drain preventative maintenance), but did not (yet?) have the problems these were meant to address. I consider these recalls preventative, as they were not corrective for me—though they might have eventually become so.
4. I love the adaptive cruise control the most. I also love lane assist, blind spot detection, the top-view camera for parking (this is probably just barely behind the adaptive cruise control in my mind). Not all Atlases have these features, but I may never buy another car without them, after having experienced them.
5. I also added aftermarket floor mats (winter snow, mud, salt, grit, etc.) on Amazon. TuxMat. If you live in a place where water might get into your vehicle, these are a lifesaver.
6. I love the ease of entry into the very back seats, and the ease of laying all seats down for cargo space. Others are constantly wanting to see the dual-action middle row seats, plus forward/reverse slide adjustment to give more legroom to the passengers in the very back. My 6'2" son can ride comfortably in the very back, which is pretty remarkable.
7. NEGATIVE #1: Small gas tank. It really should be about 2 gallons bigger. I discovered, however, that I can easily fit an additional gallon after the pump stops automatically, and with most other pumps (and patience), 2 gallons without overflowing. This is what I typically do now, and on a long road trip, I expect I could hit close to 400 miles before needing to refill.
8. NEGATIVE #2: I don't know if it's the angle of the windshield, or my local road conditions combined with bad luck 2x, but I have already had to replace the front windshield 2x due to rocks. The first time really did feel like a fluke (we'd barely had the car 2 weeks). The second just felt like bad luck, but it did make us wonder if the angle of the windshield made it more vulnerable. At $500 each (insurance deductible), this was not appreciated. The official requirement from VW is to pay $400+ on top of that to have the ACC and Lane Assist camera recalibrated after having the windshield replaced. We didn't either time, and they seem to be working as perfectly as they did from day one.

That's my story. I love this vehicle, and am considering a VW Arteon in the future as it seems to share most of the features I love about my Atlas in a luxury sedan shaped package.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone who felt compelled to share. I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do!

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
About time.
I typed out many responses to him before but ended up deleting every one of them, ultimately deciding that he had the right to voice his opinion.
But it was getting old, repetitive and far too frequent.
100% - at some point you have to let it go and move on. I've seen folks like this on other forums/FB pages that get rid of cars and stay around to continually "warn" folks - it's a bit strange to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't mean for this thread to get anyone banned!

Thanks all for you input. I am leaning towards moving ahead with the Atlas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the contrary, everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, but it does get to a point when it's more complaining than information sharing and tends to be counter productive. Personally, this forum has been extremely helpful to me, both before I purchased my Atlas and afterwards. Welcome aboard!.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts